Recap of Pioneer SX-750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap of Pioneer SX-750

Wow! My first post and what an informative site. Luckily, my Abit BD7-Raid hasn't needed new caps (thumbs up to Rubycon)!

However, my Pioneer SX-750 receiver is ready for some power supply caps. Not bad for a receiver almost 30 years old. Can anybody recommend some high quality caps in the 15000uF 50v spec. My first choice was some Nichicon PW series but I can't find any in this spec.

Re: Recap of Pioneer SX-750

http://www.nichicon-us.com/english/s...arg/list_f.htm
    select LS series

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/capacitors.html
    Select USC series

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/english/catalog_e/top.html
    Select SMH series
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

also nichicon muse.iirc its kz series.
      the kg is for audio apps too.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

The sound of nichicon (fine gold) series cap are "dry" .... I prefer elna cerafine or silmic, it sounds nicer.
          Or... Rubycon "Black Gate" ---- if u can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian C
            The sound of nichicon (fine gold) series cap are "dry" .... I prefer elna cerafine or silmic, it sounds nicer.
            Or... Rubycon "Black Gate" ---- if u can afford.
            Black Gates are over priced and I can't find Elna's with my required spec of 15KuF - 50V. The Nichicon's will have to do.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I've been thinking of recapping my SX-450. When I turn it on, it emits static from the speakers and the front panel lights flicker to the buzzing until suddenly it flicks on solid. Works fine after that, so I'm thinking it might be one of the caps not taking the charge or something.
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Elna audio grade capacitor. My preference for audio equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                  I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I've been thinking of recapping my SX-450. When I turn it on, it emits static from the speakers and the front panel lights flicker to the buzzing until suddenly it flicks on solid. Works fine after that, so I'm thinking it might be one of the caps not taking the charge or something.
                  That's pretty much what my SX-750 was doing. One of the 15KuF - 50V caps had vented (must of been a while since it was all dried up). What's cheesy about the SX-750 is the main power supply caps (2 of them) are wired in series. Don't know about the other SX models though.

Comment

sounds like a bad switch or something loose at the ac input.
                    possible fire hazard.

Comment

Turned out excellent! I went with Nichicon Gold KG's. Now, when the Pioneer gets a base signal, the panel lights don't dim. Very happy, and nice caps at that.
                      Last edited by andycap; 03-23-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear it. I (like dood) have an SX-450 that I'd like to try recapping sometime. The volume knob makes scratching noises when first turned on, and one of the stereo channels intermittently drops to very low volume. Hitting it seems to help.

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                          Glad to hear it. I (like dood) have an SX-450 that I'd like to try recapping sometime. The volume knob makes scratching noises when first turned on, and one of the stereo channels intermittently drops to very low volume. Hitting it seems to help.
                          That's not the caps, mate... that's the controls. Go get yourself some good contact cleaner, pull that puppy apart, and douse the hell out of the controls. MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED!

Start at one end and work your way over. Spray the cleaner as far into the pot as you can, while working it back and forth from stop to stop. Most likely, the contacts inside are just corroded. ESPECIALLY on the volume and balance knobs. The only thing I haven't figured out yet on mine (other than the earlier mentioned turn-on problem) is that the one channel with drop out, and messing around with the mono switch will sometimes bring it back. I can't get to that switch to clean it, if I remember correctly. I dunno, it's been a long time since I've had mine open
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

That's not the caps, mate... that's the controls. Go get yourself some good contact cleaner, pull that puppy apart, and douse the hell out of the controls. MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED!

Start at one end and work your way over. Spray the cleaner as far into the pot as you can, while working it back and forth from stop to stop. Most likely, the contacts inside are just corroded. ESPECIALLY on the volume and balance knobs. The only thing I haven't figured out yet on mine (other than the earlier mentioned turn-on problem) is that the one channel with drop out, and messing around with the mono switch will sometimes bring it back. I can't get to that switch to clean it, if I remember correctly. I dunno, it's been a long time since I've had mine open
                            The dropped out stereo channel is what really bothers me, the volume scratching only happens when I first turn it on so no big deal. I'm not sure if we have the same dropout problem or not - I can also get both speakers back by using the mono switch, but the missing channel is still missing when I do that. I just get the working channel x 2.
                            Usually the left drops out, but I think I've had the right go out sometimes, and even both of them dropped out very rarely.
                            I use it mostly on headphones nowadays and haven't noticed the dropout nearly as often, but that might just be a coincidence.

I should certainly try cleaning the controls sometime, that should at least fix the volume scratch. I have no idea if new capacitors would help anything or not, but after this many years I figure it couldn't hurt.

Comment

That's true... it's really not going to hurt it any to get new caps. I'd still look to cleaning the controls up to fix your channel dropout problem. If you get both channels back when you hit the mono button, then your amp output stage is working fine. The issue is that the dropped signal isn't even making it to the amp. Meaning, it's a source issue, and that usually points to corroded connections in the back, a dirty source switch, or a dirty balance knob. I'd bet cleaning will help a lot!!!
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                              X