No announcement yet.

Is this switching power supply worth the money that it cost 18 volts @ 20 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this switching power supply worth the money that it cost 18 volts @ 20 amp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164440680270?var=464055952719
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

That's actually cheap! At least for me up here.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      That's actually cheap! At least for me up here.
      I think about buying it for the desoldering station that I do not have a switching power supply and doing surgery on the original switching power supply that I talked about in another post do you think that I could modify it with this switching power supply that I linked in this post
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

That's not a bad price. For me, I wanted somwthing high current and the cheapest way was to just build out an old ATX computer power supply. You can buy a cheap DC-DC adjustable regulator, a small voltage/current display, and some knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by nobbnobb1 View Post
          That's not a bad price. For me, I wanted somwthing high current and the cheapest way was to just build out an old ATX computer power supply. You can buy a cheap DC-DC adjustable regulator, a small voltage/current display, and some knobs.
          The issue is with the superiority ic chip that is the issue if you disable it then you have no over current protection and for me this in an acceptable situation to be in yes I have played with computer switching power supplies for educational purposes before just to see if it could be done but personally I would not put them into service permanently because I would not trust them for reliability for the electronics equipment that I would want to power

Now I have some battery testing equipment that I going to modify the switching power supply to run three battery testing machines and all it really powers is the data logging system controller that communicates to the computer so that you can see it in a graphical chart on the computer screen

These battery testing machines were damaged by me trying to test battery packs with BMS protection boards because this battery testing machines works off of a 24 volt switching power supply even though the charging / discharging controller works on 12 volts because it has a 12 volt regulator on the mosfets board which is the part that has gone bad

But it is functional in the monitoring mode which is why I going through all this trouble with this system setup and I going to use a switching power supply that has voltage and current adjustable for what ever voltage and current that is needed but I have to modify it slightly so that it can interface with the system controller on the battery testing machine and then I will be able to test battery packs that have BMS protection boards and not do damage to the controller circuit

I have figured out how the mosfets board got damaged it because the controller put 24 volts momentary to the battery cell or cells depending on the battery pack setup and BMS protection board will turn off when it see high voltage or high current so that is how the controller board got voltage spikes and destroy it self ( the graphics on the chart told me what was going on when typing to charge battery packs that have BMS protection boards on them you could see the voltage spikes on the chart not all BMS protection boards do this but some of them do this very badly )

I talk about this in another post about exactly what happened and what I plan on doing with these battery testing machines that have failed

I also have soldering / desoldering stations switching power supply failure as well after many hours of use I have not exactly determined what has failed in these switching power supply and I am getting really tired of replacing the hole unit just because the switching power supplies are not replaceable so this is why I was trying to find a suitable replacement switching power supply and modifying it to power the soldering / desoldering system power supply yes it not going to be original but I really do not care about this aspect of this as long as it gives a lot more hours of use until the controller takes a shit or the vacuum pump takes a shit or some other catastrophic failure happens and it would be cheaper to just replace it with a new one ( This is another example of very poor design of a switching power supply circuit )

I had to try this several times before I got it to work more or less but it was not a perfect solution unfortunately

I also have a brand of battery powered power tool that has an issue with the switching power supply transformer seriously overheating to the point that I will not use it anymore because of this issue but I learned from this switching power supply how to modify the switching power supply board and still be able to use charging controller board function the only issue that I ran into was that the charging controller is very picky about the voltage level and if fluctuation is to much it shuts down and I have not figured out how to fix that issue but the manufacturer of this switching power supply battery operated power tool charger has finally offered a dual power switching supply that has USB charging ports that I use it for two cooling fans that keeps the switching power supply transformer and all of its components overheating situation under control and is very usable this way

The question I have to ask you is what are you trying to use this power supply for and how picky is it if it has some kind of controller in it might be picky about how smooth the power supply voltage is or are just wanting a switching power supply to power electronics in general if it then as long as put filtering capacitors on the output this should work fine

One note you can buy switching power supplies that have a current rating anywhere from 10 to 20 amp that voltage and current adjustable but they are a little pricey than a standard switching power supply I have several of them and they do work fairly well but if you decide to buy one I would highly recommend that you do a total recap of the board except the main filtering capacitor they start around $50.00 to over $100.00 depending on the voltage and current rating it has unfortunately Mean-well does not make a version like this as far as I know I have not personally seen one offered most of the ones that I have seen are Chinese manufacturers that have this type of switching power supply and they have a current and voltage meter module on them as well

Here is example of one that I was talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276342873216

Here is another example of one that I was talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276303332637

Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2024, 10:26 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The switching power supply is suppose to be here sometime tomorrow afternoon and I might get to do some primary testing on weather or not I can get the desoldering station to work on this switching power supply but we will see if it going to work with out any issues
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

I received the switching power supply and I tested in the ZD-915 desoldering gun station and it works perfectly fine with this switching power supply I did some testing and the results are in that post

With just the controller no heating element backlight and cooling fan 250 milliamperes
              With the controller and the heating element and cooling fan and backlight it just above 5 amps
              With the controller and heating element and the vacuum pump and cooling fan over 7 amps

If I were to use the dual soldering station i
              Two heating elements and two backlights and two controllers would be a little bit over 11 amp
              One vacuum and one cooling fan a little bit over 3 amps

For grand total of around 14 amps or maybe a little bit more than that depending on all the devices being on at the same time it might be a little bit more
              Switching power supply is rated for 18 volts @ 20 amps
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

New project for a 9 volt @ 40 amp switching power supply for a 8.4 volt battery pack that I am going to build for dual battery cells I want to build a 9 volt battery powered power supply for some 9 volt device that I have because I going to use some buck converter that controls voltage and current to charge the battery pack and a boost converter for the output

I am buying it from the same eBay seller that I bought the 18 volt @ 20 amp switching power supply from

They also sell a 13.8 volt @ 30 amp switching power supply that I also going buy in a couple of months for another project
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I got the second secondary switching power supply boards about 80% done and testing the second one for about an hour or so just to make sure that everything is good to go and then I will remove both original switching power supply in the dual soldering iron / desoldering gun station and put in the modified secondary switching power supply boards for the controller and the vacuum pump and the cooling fan and see how this works out if things go well then I will finish it permanently and put it into service and go from there
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                  X