Mouser vs Digikey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouser vs Digikey

Hello. I was wondering what people preference to either is? I find Digikey search better, but like how Mouser shows similar items.

I've only ordered from Digikey before, small orders. I'm about to stock up on a bunch of caps, all Panasonic FM or FCs... about 10-20 each of different sizes. I've found that Mouser has the caps for about half what Digikey has. If ordering 50 or more, the costs start to become equal. Am I missing something? Should I have been ordering from Mouser all this time?

Re: Mouser vs Digikey

It really varies. I've seen the reverse too, where Digikey is cheaper than Mouser. Mouser does seem to have better quantity discounts, from what I've seen. Digikey offers cheap First Class shipping, whereas the cheapest shipping Mouser offers is Priority Mail, which is a few dollars more. So for smaller orders, Digikey often comes out on top when factoring shipping in. I've never had a problem with either company.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. So I'll just have to do the math and compare each time.

Comment

Another supplier is BDent.com.

Comment

I haven't tried them, I'll check them out. Any experience with them? Good/Bad?

Comment

i heard mouser charges you out of the a** on shipping...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It's always a comparison, and it depends on who has the most items in stock for what repair you're doing. Mouser has a nice feature to build a order and save it as a "Project" for future use. Good for repeat repairs.

Comment

Yeah, I like that feature about Mouser.

I've been tracking which caps I use over and over, and I've decided to order 20-30 of them to stock up, like the 1000uf, 470uf, 330uf, 220uf, etc.. I figure if I have them on hand, my repair times go down (for the simple cap replacement fixes). Plus, after recapping, I know where to better direct my trouble shooting of the boards.

As for Mouser charging out the a**... I figure with one bigger order, I'll save over all? I'm not sure on most items, but the panasonic FM series caps seem to be half price on Mouser compared to Digikey.

Comment

Mouser shipping was a whole $6.65 on my last order which was over 200 caps plus some misc other parts.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

I use both Mouser and Digikey for ordering caps and supplies. I usually place an order at a minimum of 30USD to help with shipping cost. Yes Mouser is more on shipping, but they had the entire supply of Nichicon HN and HZ caps for and Asus [HP oem] P4SD-LA where Digikey didn't have in similar spec and on hand.
                    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I order from both too.
                      The idea that Mouser is ~gouging~ on shipping is bogus.
                      A minimum shipping charge is not usual at all.
                      They have numerous shipping options and the costs are in-line with the norm.
                      If you don't select the cheaper option at check-out it's not their fault.
                      Mouser is usually cheaper for Solid Polymer caps.
                      Digikey is is usually cheaper for Lytics. [But FM is their best grade.]
                      Sometimes Mouser ends up cheaper overall and sometimes Digikey.
                      Just depends on what you need at the time.
                      Slow shipping [aka the cheap option] usually gets to me in 2 or 3 days from both Mouser and Digikey so there is rarely a reason to upgrade the shipping method.
                      The $6.65 was an upgrade though as two of the caps and two transistors were for a controller that crapped out in my refrigerator.
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Most "legit" companies are forced to use UPS or FedEx when items "prohibited" by USPS items are ordered. Any chemicals including "paste" flux, any liquids, aerosols, "hazardous materials" (placard required or not) etc.

The $10 cap order with a syringe of paste flux will go UPS.

Comment

Ah... never realized that. Makes sense.

Comment

found out that nimh batteries were ups only when i ordered some oddball sizes from digikey.
                            and here for the last year i have been loading up usps flatrate boxes with 12ah nimh d cells and shipping them.like 2000 of them.even told the counter gal what they were.no problem.she wasnt sure at first till i told her to just think rechargeable flashlight batteries.all ok then.

Comment

Some of the regs are definitely bullshit.

I had to qualify as a hazardous material handler [non nuclear] on one of my ships because some moron Officer decided it should be a requirement for whoever picked up basic cleaning supplies [Windex, 409, Comet cleanser] from supply.
                              - It went by the same regs as OSHA.
                              If you go STRINGENTLY by the legal/OSHA definition of 'Hazardous Material' [at least the one used at that time, was mid-late 90's] then pure water and tap water are both Hazardous Materials.
                              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

The USPS hasmat poster shows lithium ion batteries. I noticed because I was returning a defective cell phone. At the risk of having my shipment rejected I pointed out to the counter person that the cell phone has a lithium ion battery and it is not permitted. I also pointed out that the USPS is the most often used shipper for cell phones and batteries.

The shipment went ahead as planned.
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

whats funny is that coppertops(common alkaline batteries by duracell)are pictured on the posters here!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    i heard mouser charges you out of the a** on shipping...
                                    Yup. about $40 to ship here vs FREE shipping from RS Components!
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'd be willing to bet the reverse is true to the US from RS. Don't believe free shipping. The cost is in there.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        Yup. about $40 to ship here vs FREE shipping from RS Components!
                                        There is an RS Components - US, but they don't carry much and they don't carry caps.
                                        They charge shipping.
                                        - $50 Minimum Order
                                        +$5 Handling Charge
                                        +Insurance Mandatory
                                        +the UPS Fee

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X