Beckman Industrial 320B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beckman Industrial 320B

I used to have a Beckman, can't remember the model, is had pushbuttons along the left side instead of a rotary switch.
    Love the Micronta. I have 2 of those
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Well I got the Beckman to work the way it should. The fix was to remove the strips and reset them. I don't know how many times it took. The last time the numbers were there but jumpimg just a little. So I smacked the side of it on my hand. It stopped and now the readings are what they should be. ACV on the outlet is 120 +/-. Note to self and others. What those darn zebra strips.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!

I forgot to post this but I looked through the 300/310/330 document posted above and it shows that the AC converter is built-in to the processor chip, so it makes sense that the zebra strips could screw up the AC readings.

I have two Beckmans and a Wavetek with this design and I have noted that all of them will respond to physical shocks more than other brands/types. But they are accurate if not shaken (or stirred) while measuring.

I definitely hesitated to post the last-ditch idea I had in the back of my head, which was to slit those strips with a very sharp blade and insert shim strips to fatten them up.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidOH View Post
          The fix was to remove the strips and reset them.
          This particular multimeter sounds destined to be a "bench" multimeter never to be moved or used outside or in a toolbox.

Good job on the repair.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just squeezed them with my fingers. I had another z-strip from a non-working sperry meter I forgot I had. I think cutting the strip would have worked if I'd taken more time to think about how to cut it to size only one time. My first cut was too big and triming it was not good. So I'll save that fix should I have to do it again.

Comment

I had another z-strip from a non-working sperry meter I forgot I had.
              If you are interested in potentially getting it fixed, start a new thread for the Sperry multimeter.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The Sperry was a cheap one that was given to me. It wasn't working and is now spare parts.

Comment

The Sperry was a cheap one that was given to me. It wasn't working and is now spare parts.
                  Nowadays, I'm more interested and motivated in spending my time and effort fixing even the cheapest multimeter rather than the most expensive TV.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Nowadays, I'm more interested and motivated in spending my time and effort fixing even the cheapest multimeter rather than the most expensive TV.
                    I am a sentimental in a way too, but I prefer to go fishing, instead dealing with items of such quality ( example bellow).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Still want an auto range one. Oh well I needed a hobby.
                      I have a Fluke 117 and the 115 is identical minus the non contact voltage detector and loZ.

If you can get it for $51.15 + $7 s/h and don't mind the missing rubber holster, I think it will suffice for badcaps troublehsooting purposes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181070316858

The most obvious missing feature is the mA/uA range, but we rarely require current measurement on this forum.

Alternatively, you can try and be patient and get a Fluke 83 in the $50 price range.

PS. I have no financial affiliation with the seller and I cannot vouch that it is a working multimeter, so do your own due diligence.
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I bought a Fluke 115 today. SearsOutlet website listed a 115 at a store 20 miles from me over the weekend for $63.93. Said it was a floor model. Work gave me today off so I looked to see if it was still there. It was and now listed for $47.93. Got there and they had one unopened one hanging. After asking it turns out that was it. So $51.05 out the door. Don't need the detector, but it does do the loZ.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I bought a Fluke 115 today. So $51.05 out the door.
                          Excellent deal for a new 115.

Congratulations.

Better than the ebay auction I listed even though it went for $45.

Sears Canada are closing many of their stores, but I don't think my Sears sells any multimeters?
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, in theory, your Fluke 115 should be calibrated since it is new from the factory.

You can use the 115 to compare with the Beckman and see if DC volts is within spec like this thread

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24239
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

if anyone has a beckman that has a good case but bad internals pm me.
                              my case is shot.i think mine is more ca and epoxy now than original plastic.

Comment

Checking a 9v and AA the Beckman is pretty much dead on.

Comment

Checking a 9v and AA the Beckman is pretty much dead on.
                                  I have been buying a few 20+ year old reputable name brand multimeters and I'm continually amazed at how long and well they hold their calibration.

Many of the ones I buy are beat-up with no history of calibration but they are usually within 1 to 2 mV compared to my newer multimeters in the DC voltage range.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Kinda makes me wonder if yearly calibration is a bit of a con.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

A single trimpot - that's it for calibration. I think the Beck's are laser-trimmed and I've never seen any drift... unless the input resistor is smoked (500V on the 0.2V range). Oops.

Comment

Is there a way to make the beep louder on the 115? I know my hearing isn't what it use to be. I hear the Beckman just fine but the 115 can't be heard a foot away.

Comment

Is there a way to make the beep louder on the 115?
                                          Not that I know of. A fresh 9V battery might make a slight difference?

I just got an old Simpson 467 digital multimeter and the beeper almost sounds like a fire alarm going off. It is too loud for my tastes. However, the continuity is really fast. Really fast.

It is also within spec too.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X