K-Mex 450W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-Mex 450W

In spite of the no-name sounding brand, this PSU actually looks half decent. The promary caps are 680uF HEC brand. We have a rectifier, not 4 diodes. The transformaers are a decent size, as are the heatsinks. The components are all there (none missing). The secondary caps are all fuhjyyu brand . I'd say this one would be quite a good unit after a re-cap.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: K-Mex 450W

From the transformer label I can tell these psus are also found under the name "Maxpower" or "Rexpower".

Some of their models are very decent after a recap.

Comment

I'd agree. Everything is well sized in this psu for a good 300-350W output.

Comment

The transformers say Ever-Power on them. I'm guessing that they are the OEM?

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeap.

Google search of the OEM's name didn't help much:
          http://www.outletpc.com/c0810.html

Same OEM psus:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=110
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...87&postcount=4
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=40

edit:
          key mouse electronic ltd lol
          http://www.kmepc.com/

Comment

I see a fan controller too. Not bad at all.
            Check the capacitance on the primary HEC caps, though.

Comment

Here's a shot of the label. Maybe Key mouse is the OEM? I've partially re-capped it with Nichicon HE, Panny FM and some Rubycon MBZ which I salvaged off a dead board. The only cap left is a 16v 2200uF. I don't have a replacment for it on hand. I can get FC from RS Components.
              Attached Files

Comment

I replaced that last cap, although I ended up going with Nichicon HE, since it was slightly cheaper and the endurance lifetime is higher. As usual, I couldn't find a 10mm replacment, so I had to settle for 12.5mm and mount it off the PCB slightly. The weird thing about this PSU is that, in spite of the fact that it was a few years old, the fuhjyyu caps were showing no signs of failure as the PSU was still working perfectly. This re-cap was entirely pre-emptive. Any ideas as to what might have kept them alive?

Comment

Fuhkyoo's are extremely inconsistent. I have worked on lots of old antec smart powers and the likes that still have the original fuhkyoo's and work like a charm still. Even one 400W smartpower that had both fans cease up on it and ran like that for about a week straight.

Comment

I scored myself a couple more of these and it's the same story with the fuhjyyu caps. they are still alive after several years service. All the antecs I've seen with this amount of usage had failed. Maybe the 92mm fan over them?

Comment

Your unit is very similiar to the lower end FSP, especially with the 12v sensing fan.

I have encountered a good number which simply didnt charge anymore, eg taicons, fuhjyyu etc. And I was reading on the lcd forum and the primary 400v cap is another one. I know it is a pain to desolder+test+re-solder but there is no better way.

Lesser known capacitor manufacturers do not follow the protocol, that an expended product needs to POP or VENT. When they failed, they do not display any physical evidence of popped top vent, protruding bottom plugs, rust looking or malformed.

And the 'sick' ones usually miss beats every 10 - 15 repetions, irregular charge/discharge or might be leaking badly.

I did change the 2 big caps with good results, even though the 2 rubycons still hold charge. The 80mm exhaust fan spools up better with the 2 new caps, perhaps from a cleaner(less noisy) circuit.

Just my thoughts, good day!

Comment

Usually when the caps fail, even if it is without bloating, the PSU will not work properly. The voltages will be out of spec and fluctuating wildly, or the PSU will refuse to power on. These K-mex PSUs were not displaying any such symptoms and all seemed to be working perfectly. The voltages are all in spec and they do not cause stability problems. I just can't understand what keeps them alive in these units, while they all fail in antecs.

Comment

In antecs the get really hot.

Comment

That's all I can think of. these don't run anywhere near as hot as Antecs, so maybe that's what keeps them alive.

Comment

Btw bulging fuhjyyu caps can be found in those psus too:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=110

Comment

I finally got around to reading the part numbers on the silicone. The primary switchers are 13009s and the secondary has a 20A diode pack on the 3.3v and 12v rail and two 20A parts on the 5v, so I doubt if it will manage it's lablled specs, although we'll find out for sure when I finish my load tester.

Comment

That is an FSP (Fortran) rebrand. They have good stuff, but lousy caps.
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

No, K-Mex/Key Mouse are their own OEM. If it were an FSP, "SPI" would be printed on the transformers, not "Ever power"

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      I finally got around to reading the part numbers on the silicone. The primary switchers are 13009s and the secondary has a 20A diode pack on the 3.3v and 12v rail and two 20A parts on the 5v, so I doubt if it will manage it's lablled specs, although we'll find out for sure when I finish my load tester.
                                      ~350W max

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        That is an FSP (Fortran) rebrand. They have good stuff, but lousy caps.
                                        Nothing like an FSP design. Key Mouse is mostly a shan zhai factory, they often copy ATNG and (more recently) FSP.

Here's their knock off of a FSP design:

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/ar...EX-PG-580/2118

Here's their knock off of the old ATNG AP design (see everell's Rosewill RP550 thread and compare the layout)

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/ar...500T-USPC/1673

As far as I can tell, c_hegge's unit is either a knock off of a Wintech or it's one of their own engineered designs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X