Proper MOSFET testing method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper MOSFET testing method

Background: (Please skip to "Question" section if you don't wanna read alot)

I have gathered about a dozen broken power supplies from 2+ years of computer tech work. Recently I've fixed two of them (blown thermistors, replaced with good ones) - and as some of you might know, the third one just needs one more cap replacement. Fourth one also needs recapping. A few were beyond repair, so I scrapped them for whatever parts were good.

Mysteriously, the rest of my power supplies look just fine. No burn marks on the board, no leaky caps. Fans, thermistors, and fuses all work. But the power supplies them selves don't. However, about 2 or 3 of them have a working +5V standby rail.

Now I'm thinking that the mosfets may be problematic. I learned online(hardwaresecrets and other electronics sites) that a mosfet is a type of transistor, and has a Gate, Drain and Source and are used to rectify current, which is a part of the AC-DC conversion process. Many of them are N-type and the rest are P-type. 3-pin diodes, which look very much like a mosfet are also used in the rectification process.

Different sites show different ways of testing mosfets. Some instructions are quite ambiguous and hard to follow. One youtube video(lost the link) even shows a guy using a motor and a big current on the drain-source connection while using a small current on the gate to see if the motor spins. I've tried that(9V lead to drain, with 3k resistor lead to gate) and some of my mosfets have failed to spin the motor while passing the multimeter tests.

I would like to know of a sure way of testing mosfets. So..

Question:

1. What is your preferred method of testing mosfets?
    2. Also, is it unsafe to use a spring-loaded "plunger" solder sucker to remove the mosfet from circuit board? Some sites say that it creates lots of static electricity, which is bad.

Re: Proper MOSFET testing method

Mosfets almost always fail with a shorted Drain and source so a simple resistance test will identify a damaged mosfet.Normally drain to source resistance is infinity.Hope this helps.

Comment

The solder sucking pumps can be deadly on some boards eg (circuits on both sides such as M/boards and some Power supply/Inverters) that I have worked on
      I have ended up sucking out the hollow copper tube as well as the solder, and that leaves problems that you do not want
      Single sided boards are ok though

As for Mosfets I would agree with MGR
      I have read the the Badcaps Troubleshooting computer displays Forum from back to front (leaving out CRTs) and do not recall ever reading a thread where a mosfet worked but did not work correctly, they either seem to work or have a short, lots do burn as well, some are dual mosfets in 8 leg packages and members only check for shorts

Comment

Originally posted by MGR
        Normally drain to source resistance is infinity.Hope this helps.
        -Caveat-
        Not on an in-circuit measurement. Many times these are across a transformer winding(s) and can read extremely low, <0.5Ω, in both polarities. If you are fortunate and have a matching one in the circuit, you can compare the two. But I typically find that I have to lift at least one of the legs on the "suspects" to get a go/no-go confirmation.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
          -Caveat-
          Not on an in-circuit measurement. Many times these are across a transformer winding(s) and can read extremely low, <0.5Ω, in both polarities. If you are fortunate and have a matching one in the circuit, you can compare the two. But I typically find that I have to lift at least one of the legs on the "suspects" to get a go/no-go confirmation.

Toast

Indeed, and its also worth remembering that mosfets out of circuit can be latched 'on' just by the resistance through your fingers and the voltage from your test leads. Its caught me out before now. Its worth shorting all the pins before testing to make sure any charge on the gate is discharged, and then avoid touching any pins while testing.

Comment

A even more thorough way of testing which I quote from sci.electronics.repair:

If you need that explaining, you shouldn't be messing with power supplies! -
            However, what do I care if you kill yourself so here goes.

Its best to use a 2mA ultra-efficient LED, the battery should be a MN21/A23
            12V car keyfob battery, calculate the resistor to limit the current to suit
            the LED.

Assuming an N-channel MOSFET connecting the negative lead to the drain and
            the positive lead to the source, the body diode will conduct and light the
            LED.

Next, connect the positive lead to drain and negative to source - the LED
            may partially light due to static charge on the gate capacitance.

Keep the negative lead on the source and touch the positive lead on the
            gate, this charges the gate capacitance positive and makes the N-channel
            conduct - so if you then connect the positive lead to drain the LED will
            light.

Next, keep the positive lead on the drain and touch the negative lead to
            gate, this charges the gate capacitance negative and should make the
            N-channel completely non-conducting - so put the negative lead on the source
            and the LED should not even glow the slightest bit - if it does the MOSFET
            is leaky and will go bang in a PSU!
            -Al

Comment

Nice Al & good point Harvey. I too forget that.

Electronics Science w/Lab 101.

I like this class!

Toast

[EDIT: @ Bobdee - I am 'old school' and use a VOM for a lot of these tests, especially in-circuit. I have DVOM's and a 35 year old VTVM. I like toys.

They each have their respective place, but for quick knock-down, I go with the old Simpson 260. A bounce of the needle means more to me than some flickering numbers. If it goes beyond a point on the scale, it's more likely a short, but if it's up 1/3 of the way, that's normal. Next component...]
              Last edited by Toasty; 11-11-2009, 03:24 AM. Reason: More explanation
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Simpson 260 <- yippers, wouldn't be without one!
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I also have an EICO kit model that I put together in tech school in '78. Matches Simpson very nicely. Then I have all the spare parts for it from someone who dropped out of class and didn't want it. Then there are 2 Micronta/Archer kits with the range divider switch for ohms & volts. Sweet! No wonder I can't move around in here sometimes! LOL
                  Fibber McGee's closet doesn't hold a candle! hehehehe
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Simpson 260 was the standard MM in the Navy schools and out in the Fleet too.
                    Then [for my specialty anyway] we had Fluke 8600A for our DMM's. [I have one of those too.]
                    Our stuff [including both of those meters] had to have valid cal lab sticker or we couldn't use it. Had to record the cal sticker SN on all the paper work too. Big pain in the butt.
                    -
                    Anyway.
                    Checking some things just doesn't feel right or is a pain in the ass with a DMM.

My toy closet is stuffed too.
                    Most recent acquisition is an HP 5316A Universal Counter.
                    It works and looks pretty cool but I don't have a clue what I'd actually -need- it for around here.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X