Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Examination of "The Best Power" MT-500P 500W ATX power supply

Hello,

I recently pulled "The Best Power" MT-500P 500W power supply from my brother's computer after he recently started to complain about random restarts during his games. I finally convinced him to replace the power supply, so I put my recapped Enermax EG301P-VE 300W power supply in his computer. Here are its specifications:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott Socket 478 (SL7PN, 1MB L2 cache, HT enabled, 103W TDP)
    1.5GB DDR333 RAM (one 1GB and one 512MB)
    PCCHIPS M955G motherboard
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB DDR2 AGP 8X video card
    160GB WD Caviar SE PATA hard drive
    AOpen 16X DVD+/-RW IDE PATA optical drive
    Generic "Best Power" MT-500P 500W power supply (now Enermax EG301P-VE 300W power supply)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (OEM) SP2 x86
    Razotech Transformer black mid-tower case

I have mentioned this power supply in the forums earlier, one in 2008 when my brother insisted this power supply was good and in 2007 when I replaced the Teapo and Fuhjyyu capacitors in it with whatever I had at the time.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4267
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5727

Here are some new pictures I took of this power supply:

Pictures of the power supply and its labels.

The power supply running, with its 80mm red LED fan.

View of the internals of this power supply.

A few pictures of the secondary side of this power supply.

A view of the primary side of this power supply.

The RS405L 4A input bridge rectifier of this power supply.

The completely empty input filtering part of this power supply.

A view of the transformers in this power supply.

A view of the primary side transistors/MOSFETs.

A blurry view of the secondary side power rectifiers.

First of all, the input filtering of this power supply is very disappointing. No components in it at all, not even two Y caps! Just jumper wire.

The bridge rectifier of this power supply is 4A, which means it can draw a maximum of 308W from the wall (assuming 70% efficiency).

The power rectifiers on the secondary side of this power supply are:
    1. STMicroelectronics STPR1620CT 16A (2x8A) 200V TO-220AB (spec sheet: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0857f446ec.pdf)

2. STMicroelectronics STPS3045CW Schottky 30A (2x15A) 45V TO-247 (spec sheet: )

3. STMicroelectronics STPS1545CT 15A (2x7.5A) 45V TO-220AB (spec sheet: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0857f446ec.pdf)

The primary side transistors/MOSFETs of this power supply are:
    1. 2SC5353 high-voltage NPN transistor (spec sheet: )

2. FJP13009 high-voltage NPN transistor (spec sheet: )

3. FJP13009 high-voltage NPN transistor (spec sheet: )

This power supply overall looks gutless (no wonder it began to struggle powering a 103W Prescott P4), everyone please post your comments about this power supply on this thread.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Re: Examination of "The Best Power" MT-500P 500W ATX power supply

really not that bad, really just needs a beefier bridge rectifier, and input filtering, and maybe a recap (if my next question is yes).

Are those real chemi-cons on the secondary?

The UL leads to casing macron.
    Last edited by 370forlife; 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Oops I copy and pasted the wrong spec sheet link for the STPR1620CT, here is the correct link: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...97f161f2c7.pdf
      My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
        really not that bad, really just needs a beefier bridge rectifier, and input filtering, and maybe a recap (if my next question is yes).

Are those real chemi-cons on the secondary?

The UL leads to casing macron.
        I'm not going to bother with this power supply, I already used up all my available parts on my L&C 450W power supply.

I did put a few United Chemi-con capacitors on the secondary side, but the few others are "SAMYOUNG" capacitors. (at the time I did this I just put in what I had laying around to replace the TEAPO capacitors that came with it)
        My gaming PC:

Comment

I doubt that it's a Casing Macron power supply. On the PCB silkscreen it has references to ISO brand power supplies near the fuse, "T6.3AH/250V FOR ISO-350,400,450", "T5AH/250V FOR ISO-200,230,250,300", and "T8.0AH/250V FOR ISO-500". I heard the ISO brand is the infamous Channel Well Technology (CWT)'s budget brand of power supplies.

Also, willawake's ISO brand 420W power supply also appears to have the exact same PCB layout as this "The Best Power" 500W power supply, take a close look:

willawake's ISO 420W power supply:

My "The Best Power" 500W power supply:
          Last edited by Newbie2; 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM.
          My gaming PC:

Comment

ISO is CWT, thats true.

Comment

Aside from their Fukyuu fling CWT supplies are built pretty well.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Newbie2: I have the exact same power supply! Same PWM controller design, same PCB design, same main transformer marking "TEPN-EI33250", same case (but no second fan on top of the power supply), same capacitors choices (Fuhjyyu, Teapo, Ost), and same "ISO" markings.

But... mine is a TurboLink LC-A420ATX. In other words, it's a L&C Technology power supply. It even has the UL number for L&C (E164554).
                Kind of makes me wonder who made these units. They don't seem to use the typical Allied/Deer/L&C design with the "year" PWM controller. Maybe they are a Channel Well design, but the transformers aren't labeled CWT.
                Anyways, I don't think it's a Macron Power - PCB doesn't say so and nither does the transformer (no "MP" markings).
                ----
                As far as its quality, I think it's actually pretty decent for a low-power computer. The power supply has a "33" sized main transformer good for 250 watts. The primary switchers are rated 24A in pulse mode - probably enough to go with the transformer rating. And the overall design is good as well. TL494 is the PWM controller while TPS3510P is the supervisory chip providing OVP (over-voltage protection), UVP (under-voltage protection), and SC (short-circuit protection).

All you really need to do is add the primary side filtering and it should be good to go. I can see enough space on the PCB for 2 X caps, 2 Y caps, a choke (LF2), and a small coil (LF1). Bigger caps on the secondary might help too. What do you have in there right now?
                Other than that, the 4A bridge diode should be enough for that power supply, giving you 440 watts to work with (of course I wouldn't force this power supply over 250, like your other L&C).
                Last edited by momaka; 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Your psu has thin wire. not good at all.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

we commented it in the link you provided
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5727
                    so why should we do it again?

it's still pos with potentially dangerous +5vstby supply.
                    not worth bothering with.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                      Newbie2: I have the exact same power supply! Same PWM controller design, same PCB design, same main transformer marking "TEPN-EI33250", same case (but no second fan on top of the power supply), same capacitors choices (Fuhjyyu, Teapo, Ost), and same "ISO" markings.

But... mine is a TurboLink LC-A420ATX. In other words, it's a L&C Technology power supply. It even has the UL number for L&C (E164554).
                      Kind of makes me wonder who made these units. They don't seem to use the typical Allied/Deer/L&C design with the "year" PWM controller. Maybe they are a Channel Well design, but the transformers aren't labeled CWT.
                      Anyways, I don't think it's a Macron Power - PCB doesn't say so and nither does the transformer (no "MP" markings).
                      ----
                      As far as its quality, I think it's actually pretty decent for a low-power computer. The power supply has a "33" sized main transformer good for 250 watts. The primary switchers are rated 24A in pulse mode - probably enough to go with the transformer rating. And the overall design is good as well. TL494 is the PWM controller while TPS3510P is the supervisory chip providing OVP (over-voltage protection), UVP (under-voltage protection), and SC (short-circuit protection).

All you really need to do is add the primary side filtering and it should be good to go. I can see enough space on the PCB for 2 X caps, 2 Y caps, a choke (LF2), and a small coil (LF1). Bigger caps on the secondary might help too. What do you have in there right now?
                      Other than that, the 4A bridge diode should be enough for that power supply, giving you 440 watts to work with (of course I wouldn't force this power supply over 250, like your other L&C).
                      An L&C-made power supply!? I guess the people at Deer/L&C couldn't figure out how to design something better than their common "Y-B200ATX" design and decided to clone one of CWT's designs.

I'm not going to bother doing anything to this power supply, since first I don't have any parts to scrap from old power supplies for the input filtering, I don't have enough extra caps to do the job, and my brother's PC is running fine on the Enermax 300W PSU and my Celeron 2.2GHz PC is doing good with my modified L&C 450W PSU.

But, if I could modify it, I would since the CWT design in it is very good.

momaka, can you post pictures in the forum somewhere of your Turbolink power supply?
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

I just found some photos of momaka's Turbolink LC-A420ATX power supply. Just as momaka said, it's the exact same thing besides the second fan on mine.

The fourth photo shows the rear 80mm fan of that power supply. It appears to be the same "Rulian Science" RDL8025SA fan that originally came in my "The Best Power" power supply.

Also, judging from the fifth photo, the openings in the rear of the power supply along with the sticker showing the month and year of production are the exact same as my "The Best Power" power supply.

From this, I can conclude that the actual manufacturer of this "The Best Power" 500W power supply is Deer/L&C, with a clone of a CWT design.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

yup a shitty gutless wonder
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                          X