Aoyue 474a++ temp controlled desoldering station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoyue 474a++ temp controlled desoldering station

I have been fixing a bunch of stuff for work, and I broke yet another solder sucker, so it was time for an upgrade.

I have seen a lot of complaints in general about desolder stations, so I was hesitant, but eventually decided on the aoyue 474a++ (yes plus plus). The plus plus model has a temp controlled tip and digital temp setting. It was under $200 from sra soldering.

First impression was wow, this unit is huge. Its also the second impression. That said, the suction is powerful and the pump is quiet. When you hit the trigger it lets out an authoritative hum.

Here is a pic next to my ebay hot air station and relatively diminutive hakko iron.

Really, I like it being large, because I assume its going to be easier to fix when it breaks.

The instructions say to wait 10 minutes for it to heat up. It doesnt take quite that long,but it takes about 5. In use this machine laughs at lead solder and slurps it right up. It actually makes an audible slurping sound, and thats when you know you got the solder.

Here is an item I desoldered that would have really been awkward with solder wick or impossible with a pump sucker.

All the way in the corner, i needed to desolder a puny wifi antenna so i could attach a pigtail and external antenna. I didnt even know the pads had holes, I put the gun on the pad, saw the solder melt, and there was the hole. I think this unit has PB solder, but Im not 100% sure.

I also desoldered some caps from.a multilayered lead free motherboard with some large ground planes. That was more challenging. In general, i melted some Pb solder onto the leads with an iron, and that made it easier. Sometimes it would pull half the solder from the hole. If that happens, I refill it with pb solder and next attempt is generally successful. If the pins on the caps are straight, they generally fall right out. If the pins are bent, it takes slightly more wiggling and heat to get them out.

Overall, this machine makes short work of desoldering, and Im getting the hang of working the iron in my right hand and the desolder gun in the left.

I did some smt work today (check.my other post today) and it worked well. I probably should have used a smaller tip, but i thought of that after the unit was already hot. It was very nice and in one instance pulled the solder out from.under the chip and released it. Then the smt component got stuck in the tip. It came out with a chip popper, but a smaller tip.is definitely advised for fine work.

So I give it the Chris seal of approval.

Ill try to answer questions if anyone has any.
    Attached Files

Re: Aoyue 474a++ temp controlled desoldering station

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
    Really, I like it being large, because I assume its going to be easier to fix when it breaks.
    See this thread and with respect to what I bolded above. I know it is not the same model, but you both bought it from SRA.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44489
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

why say
      It was under $200
      and not just say it was $145?
      http://sra-solder.com/aoyue-474a-dig...ering-station/

btw, what is the wattage exactly???
      This is a desoldering station for thru hole boards and components. The tools has zero crossing circuitry to prevent electrical surges. This 474A++ is a thermostatically controlled desoldering station that provides low cost and solid performance with a 150W heating system.

Features:
      70 Watt heater Long Life heating Element
      Temperature range 150-380 ºC (302-716 ºF)
      Suction Flow 15 L/min ( max)
      Digital Controls
      User configurable 1 to 60 minute idle-to-auto-sleep mode for additional device protection and power saving.
      Digital Calibration

Comment

I said under 200$ because I didn't remember the shipping. I didn't realize I was stepping into a deposition. I also said under 200$ because there's nothing comparable at the price range.

I assume it's a 70w system, I saw the typo beforehand. It can get extremely hot though, I feel the heat coming off the barrell. I don't get that with my soldering iron.

For grins, I'll open up the box sometime this week and post some pics. So far though, my experience has been good, and I'm still learning to use it.

One nice thing is it has an auto-shutoff, I don't think the non-digital ones have that, it may help with wear on the tips.

BTW, I'm not a shill for Aoyue or SRA. So far though, I am happy with the unit. I just like fixing things electronic, but it's not a career for me, so I can't justify Pace or some of the other big names. I also don't put wear on a unit like a pro.

For the record, I opened up my no-name Chinese hot air station and pointed out some of the shortcomings on here. But so far, so good.

Comment

what type of pump does this use?
          is it a loud blast like a big motor,
          or a low sound like a pool pump?

Comment

Imho, big motors dont make a loud blast. Not electric ones anyway.

This is a deep hum. Ill have pics up later. Btw, its a large enough motor that they put rubber spacers (like you see on refrigeration compressors and some elec motors) between it and the frame. You can see it if you turn the unit over, which you have to do to remove the shipping screw.

Comment

sounds like a diaphram type.

i have a weller with a vane pump that looks like a truck airhorn comressor and sounds like one.
              but that bitch can suck like a pro on a friday night!!!

Comment

I opened it up. AFAIK, the iron runs on 24v. I didn't trace out the pump, it may run on 110v or 24v. Lots of room in here, if the pump fails, I'll definitely be able to find something that fits.

I can't identify the manufacturer of the caps on the board, but I wasn't expecting anything special. On the plus side, the board silkscreen is more detailed than any other I have seen before. Caps are labeled with their rating, etc. The board looks like it can also support a soldering iron, they probably have a model with an iron attached (maybe that's where the 150w came from iron + desolder gun).

Would have been nice to have a fuse, but that can be added on easily enough.

Attached Files
                Last edited by clearchris; 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

the soldering iron one is this:
                  http://www.sra-solder.com/aoyue-701a...dering-station

Comment

After reading through the other thread and doing some research, I'm still fine with my purchase. However, I wouldn't touch the other unit, a fully handheld model. IMHO, it takes more manufacturing skill and a lot of custom parts to get everything small enough but still strong and light enough for a handheld unit. That and the price differential isn't that much to justify buying the off-brand unit.

Given that full vacuum is only ~14.7psi, the flow moved through the gun isn't terribly high either, there are plenty of very sturdy looking aquarium pumps that could be suitable for the job. My only concern there would be that aquarium pumps are meant to run constantly (I assume), many start up cycles could end up burning the motor.

The other parts look to be off-the-shelf, except for the gun parts. I haven't done any research yet to see if I could fit any hakko tips to it yet, but it could be possible.

Comment

the pump in your foto's is mains powered - i'm sure.

if you did have to replace the pump, the originals are well under $50,
                      but i would fit an airhorn pump and a 12/24v transformer to drive it.
                      it will be loud, but have much higher performance.

if you keep the filters clean the pump should be o.k. though.
                      on mine i added an extra filter just before the base using a plastic inline fuel filter from the local car parts place.
                      cost me about 4€

Comment

Excellent tips thank you! I didnt think of an airhorn pump. The fuel filter idea is also excellent. I bet I could find an inline filter in the airtools section too.

Thanks!

Oh, and I take back not having a fuse. Its hard to see unless you are really looking right at it.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                          I have been fixing a bunch of stuff for work, and I broke yet another solder sucker, so it was time for an upgrade.

I have seen a lot of complaints in general about desolder stations, so I was hesitant, but eventually decided on the aoyue 474a++ (yes plus plus). The plus plus model has a temp controlled tip and digital temp setting. It was under $200 from sra soldering.

First impression was wow, this unit is huge. Its also the second impression. That said, the suction is powerful and the pump is quiet. When you hit the trigger it lets out an authoritative hum.

Here is a pic next to my ebay hot air station and relatively diminutive hakko iron.

The instructions say to wait 10 minutes for it to heat up. It doesnt take quite that long,but it takes about 5. In use this machine laughs at lead solder and slurps it right up. It actually makes an audible slurping sound, and thats when you know you got the solder.

Here is an item I desoldered that would have really been awkward with solder wick or impossible with a pump sucker.

All the way in the corner, i needed to desolder a puny wifi antenna so i could attach a pigtail and external antenna. I didnt even know the pads had holes, I put the gun on the pad, saw the solder melt, and there was the hole. I think this unit has PB solder, but Im not 100% sure.

I also desoldered some caps from.a multilayered lead free motherboard with some large ground planes. That was more challenging. In general, i melted some Pb solder onto the leads with an iron, and that made it easier. Sometimes it would pull half the solder from the hole. If that happens, I refill it with pb solder and next attempt is generally successful. If the pins on the caps are straight, they generally fall right out. If the pins are bent, it takes slightly more wiggling and heat to get them out.

Overall, this machine makes short work of desoldering, and Im getting the hang of working the iron in my right hand and the desolder gun in the left.

I did some smt work today (check.my other post today) and it worked well. I probably should have used a smaller tip, but i thought of that after the unit was already hot. It was very nice and in one instance pulled the solder out from.under the chip and released it. Then the smt component got stuck in the tip. It came out with a chip popper, but a smaller tip.is definitely advised for fine work.

So I give it the Chris seal of approval.

Ill try to answer questions if anyone has any.
                          ===============================

Hello Group,
                          I really need to find a schematic for my Aoyue 474a++. Anyone have a copy or suggestions as to where I can find one?
                          Thanks,
                          David

Comment

Id ask SRA solder products.

What is wrong with it? It didn't look complicated when I opened it up.

Comment

you could draw one up with Eagle in under an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X