Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement suggestions

Hi all,
    I have an ML350 G5 with two bad caps. One is ruptured, and the other is pushing out the bottom, I think, because the cap was tilted on the motherboard, and when I tried to straighten it, it felt like it kind of broke loose, like the electrolyte had stuck between the board and the cap (not the cap leads, just the electrolyte dried between the cap and the PCB).

Anyway, the caps in question are:
    • Rubycon MCZ 16v 1000uF 8mm D x 20 mm H, 2350 mA ripple, 12 mOhm ESR
    • Rubycon MCZ 16v 470uF 8mm D x 11.5 mmH, 1340 mA ripple, 21 mOhm ESR

It seems like these caps are discontinued, so I'm looking for replacements. I've done a bit of research, and from what I've read, I should get caps with identical voltage and capacitance. For ripple and ESR, I should get equal or higher ripple, and equal or lesser ESR.

I found one site listing the MCZ caps, saying that since they were discontinued, it suggested the following replacements:
    • Nichicon HN Series 16v 1000uF 8mmD x 20mmH, 2220 mA ripple, 12 mOhm ESR
    • Nichicon HN Series 16v 470uF 8mmD x 11.5mmH, 1300 mA ripple, 21 mOhm ESR

However, upon looking through the Nichicon catalog, I found the HZ series, which has:
    • Nichicon HZ 16v 1000uF 8mm x 20mm, 2880 mA ripple, 9 mOhm ESR
    • Nichicon HZ 16v 470uF is 10mmD x 12.5 mmH - better specs, but physically too big

On the 1000 uF cap, should I go with the Nichicon HZ or HN? For the general rule of getting a greater ripple rating and lesser ESR, are there limits to this rule? In other words, if I took that idea to the extreme, could it cause problems?

Also, on the 470uF cap, is the Nichicon replacement, with 1300 mA ripple (vs original of 1340) going to be close enough?

At this point, I am inclined to get:
    • Nichicon HZ 16v 1000uF 8mm x 20 mm, 2880 mA ripple, 9 mOhm ESR
    • Nichicon HN 16v 470uF 8mm x 11.5 mm, 1300 mA ripple, 21 mOhm ESR

Or should I go with both from the HN series?

Also, is there a difference between impedence and ESR?

Am I on the right track here, or would you all recommend something else?

This is going back into production, and can't really afford a mistake on this.

Thanks,
    Monty

Re: Replacement suggestions

Either HN or HZ will work just fine.

But chances are it's not just those 2 capacitors dead or dying... post a picture of the board if possible or search the internet for a picture that looks like your board and post it here.

We might be able to suggest what should also be replaced even if it doesn't look bad.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

As for yet-to-fail caps, I am trying to decide whether I should replace them. How hard is it? I have a decent amount of soldering experience, though not much on PCBs - stuff like patching wires, reattaching a wire pulled from a PCB. I would say on these items, I make pretty clean joints, so I don't expect to have TOO much problem, but...

I guess my thinking on the matter is the fewer components I replace, the lower the likelihood will be that I screw it up.

Perhaps I should practice on a few dead, junk boards before I go at it...

Anyway, couldn't find a decent picture online. I'll post a pic or two here in a bit.

Oh, also... Thanks for the help.

Comment

Or ten... I opted for verbosity on the pictures. People complain my emails are the same way (which seems to be supported by my original post).

Anyway, the two caps I've already mentioned are circled in red in some of the photos.

Is there any way to know what role the capacitors play? I guess proximity is one clue... Any others?

Let me know what you think.

And again, thanks.

Edit: One more thing - is there a better choice between the HN and HZ, or is the distinction irrelavent as long as the specs are met?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by snoopsmsc; 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Just in case it is missed, if any electrolyte has spilled out you should clean it all off as it
          will eventually corrode any metal its on.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Duly noted.

Thanks!

Comment

Good day! Subject old but it happened a few days ago, a server hp ml350 g5 not start, I changed the capacitors startonul server.
              Only strongly heated chips. In the photo below after 5 minutes of operation. And also heated Replaced kondensaror near a radiator near pamyati.Temperaturu took it tester MASTECH MY64

All kondnensatory looked in all the blocks, for swelling.
              Prishol kaput motherboard, or even so there is still a chance it still work?
              Attached Files

Comment

I happen to have a ML350 G5 that I have already replaced all the caps on. I used Nichicon HN series and the three that sit above the ram have failed again. I'm currently researching poly alternatives for that location. I have all 8 ram slots populated and that part of the board gets HOT. I did the first repair probably two years ago and it has been running 24/7 ever since.

Comment

Reading this post, what is the best thing to use to clean the electrolytic off the board? Rubbing alcohal?

Comment

IPA - IsoPropyl Alcahol.

Comment

Working...
                    X