B&K releases new ESR meter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&K releases new ESR meter.

Yes it's expensive and so here mostly for drool factor..

In August 2010 B&K Precision released two new LCR meters. - The 878B and 879B
    http://news.bkprecision.com/2010/08/...cr-meters.html

The 878B doesn't do ESR.
    - But -
    The 879B measures ESR down to 4 decimal places and the intro price is $299.
    - That's a bunch but it IS around $200 less than their previous model that only did ESR down to 3 decimal places.

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/...asurement.html

Specs:

UPDATE YOUR CHRISTMAS LISTS QUICK!!
    - Or win the lotto...

Many places including Digikey and Mouser have them listed but no stock.
    As these appear to be brand new models my guess is they simply haven't received their initial stocking orders yet.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Re: B&K releases new ESR meter.

Looks very nice and the price isn't too bad either. Although still too expensive for me...
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

THIS is what I would buy if I was buying an ESR meter. I would like to see the innards of this thing.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

An Extech LCR in the same price range gets taken apart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEA5MfllPdg

and the review:

I think the price point is right on I paid about that much for my 87-5. LCR meters are a real niche market so it seems prices are locked at 200 dollars minimum.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-13-2010, 06:17 AM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
          An Extech LCR in the same price range gets taken apart:

and the review:

I think the price point is right on I paid about that much for my 87-5. LCR meters are a real niche market so it seems prices are locked at 200 dollars minimum.
          What I don't like about that one is that it does not have a 100kHz test frequency.
          -
          For most low ESR caps 100kHz is the standard used in data sheets.
          -
          If you test ESR at other than 100kHz then you have to do the math using the conversion factors given [hopefully] in the cap's data sheet.
          -
          IOW the numbers on the meter screen don't mean anything in the data sheet without breaking out the calculator - for EVERY cap you measure.
          That would get old REALLY quick around here.

The Bob Parker based meters all use 100kHz for the test frequency so it's not like it's difficult to achieve.
          IMHO, here in 2010, if an LCR meter doesn't have a 100kHz test signal setting it should be grouped with the cheap Chinese junk meters.
          - But that's just this Grump's opinion.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Why do they test at a different frequency in the first place?
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Not every cap goes on a mobo or in a PSU.
              Low ESR caps use 100kHz because it's mid/ball park what SMP noise is.

Other applications and other kinds of caps see other frequency ranges.
              -
              I'm not an audiophool so I'm not sure, but given the audible range is around 20Hz-20kHz I imagine they'd want to know ESR at like 10kHz if it has to do with speakers.
              -
              Caps that aren't intended for SMPS use at all are often spec'ed at 120Hz and although they [usually] don't list ESR in data sheets it's still a valid check to test the cap.
              -

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Dave at the EEVblog just released a video of the BK 879B LCR meter and cracked it open. It has a very nice SMD design.

Unfortunately at least on his unit the MIN / MAX / AVERAGE record function wouldn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TP0i917Ro&feature=sub
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Four decimal places?
                  I think that would be useful for motherboard capacitors (especially polymer) and very high value units e.g. beercans.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Crikey! That was quite a review.
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
                    X