Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a SMPS for an audio amplifier - some pointers required

Here's the start of a long post...

I've read a lot on SMPS design in the past 2 years, and this year i also acquired all tools needed to go from schematic/simulation to the real thing. Namely an oscilloscope, and more recently a SMD rework station. All i lack is an isolation transformer but i preferred to get the hot air station instead and i'm very glad i did that as my new controller board is all SMDs, mostly recovered from motherboards, and it's DANG SMALL! Anyway any nasties will reflect into the secondary so i'm not worried by that.

I chose a rather unusual approach to a controller, because it just stuck into my brain for some reason. That is, i use a 555 timer. No no no, don't shout at me already. Instead of using the imprecise and inefficient way of using pin 5 for voltage regulation (one schematic on the internet claimed up to 150W output, yeah right... i built it myself and it delivered 15 watts at most with the switching transistor getting hot even without a load), an idea struck me at some point.

Long story short, it's been simulated, built as a low power 5v -> 12v converter that scored in at 89% efficiency at 3.5W out, and my latest adaptation of this controller thing is an off-line 2-transistor forward converter that i intend to power my subwoofer amp.

Now you'll be like... What? An offline supply controlled by a 555??? Well yes. My clever idea was as follows. I used the schematic that allows duty cycle control independent to frequency, so i can set maximum duty cycle with a trimpot (now this has become fixed as i made the move to a complete SMD board). Then, i used a LM311 comparator to toggle pin 4 (reset) and this is where the magic comes in. Basically what i'm getting is pulse skipping. Not the cleanest method of regulation, but it works well and it's quite efficient. A TL431 serves as reference for the comparator and a resistor divider sets the output voltage. Then the output of the 555 drives a small mosfet that switches the 15v rail via a 1uF cap into a base drive transformer recovered from an ATX power supply. Then the transformer drives a pair of MJE13007s. The controller board is powered from a separate power supply (i had a tiny mains transformer around anyway), which is regulated with a 7815. Thus no need for an opto for feedback, i simply wire the output voltage straight into the divider.

I have gotten to the point where i figured out the snubbers i need to keep my transistors from blowing. A couple weeks ago i managed to blow ALL the switching transistors i had lying around the house until i figured out the snubber, and eventually bought some new MJE13007s. They're just 80 cents a pop anyway. I will be trying to do some non-dissipative snubbers next as those resistors get quite hot, but for now i'm happy that i'm not blowing transistors anymore.

I have tested the power supply up to 80W using a transformer wound in a really ugly way.

Today i started winding the "proper" transformer. I use an EI-33 core (have a bunch of those around, i don't think i have to tell you where i got them from), and i wound the primary with 5 strands of 28AWG in parallel, the secondary with 4 strands. I have 48 turns in my primary. I used the formula 7.75A/mm^2 to determine the number of strands. I'm looking at +/-70v out, 400W peak power (my subwoofer is 8 ohm 250W). I'm not expecting 400W continuous as this is audio where the 1/8 power rule stands true, and this will be an amp for home use and i live in an apartment. Also in its new box (the underside of my desk actually, more on that later), the sub is quite loud even with my 2*30W amp that i am using for my main speakers.

Switching frequency is 100kHz or somewhere close to that. The base drive waveform isn't exactly square, but the waveform on the secondary of the transformer is nice and fat. The influence of the snubbers is clearly seen, there is a slope on the falling edge and a bit of ringing on the way, but no spikes at all.

Okay here comes my first Q. My calculations (for worst case low line + full power conditions) ended up with 30 turns for each secondary. I only did one secondary today as my hands hurt already, and i plugged the transformer in leaving the secondary open. I use a 100W lightbulb to limit power for initial testing, it lit up dimly then slowly faded off. Scoping the secondary with a 10x probe reveals 340Vp-p or 170v peak. Indeed this is running at normal line, open-loop, at no load and unrectified, but isn't it a bit too much for a 70v nominal winding? The highest voltage power rectifier i have around is a MBR20100, i don't think that'll work here...

The second Q is about the control loop. I keep reading about error amplifier compensation, but all i have in my circuit is a comparator! And it works just fine without any kind of compensation. I guess compensation is for the error amp that would do the overcurrent protection. Well, if i don't want to bother with any of that and just use fuses, i won't need it right? I know what can happen if the voltage control loop fails, and i've blown enough switches to realize what happens in case of short circuit. But i think i can avoid that situation in my amp design. Because if the amp shorts, it's probably going to cost more than $1.6 to repair so replacing the MJE13007s along doesn't bother me.

That's it for now, here's my schematic.

A few notices are in order: Firstly - the inductance values in the sim are purely hypothetical, secondly, the comparator is a LM311, thirdly, i have 3 amp primary diodes in the real thing, and fourthly i am using MJE13007s not 13009s. Oh and i also forgot the little MOSFET that is between 555 and drive transformer. Other than that all the values are the same in the real circuit.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-29-2010, 04:16 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Building a SMPS for an audio amplifier - some pointers required

I found a couple FUF4504 diodes (4 amp, 400V) on a CRT monitor board that seems to never run out of parts. I arranged those as a double diode ala Deer (hehe), dropped in a random 330uF/200v cap and an inductor from an ATX power supply and fired it up. I got 160v DC! I started adding some light bulbs as loads, and with one 100 watt, one 75 watt and one 60 watt, voltage dropped to 97v. The inductor was getting quite hot at this point, it probably needs more turns.

Still using this load, i put in one of the 9800uF/100v caps that i want to use in the final amplifier, and although it did take a couple seconds to charge the power supply worked fine with it. Then i connected my feedback loop. Voltage dropped to 72.3v (gotta tweak the divider a bit) and stayed there for about a minute, then... BANG. I saw a flash and the bulbs started dimming while the big cap was discharging. However, the mains fuse didn't blow.

The low side transistor had failed short on all three, while the high side one failed open on all three. That's why the fuse didn't blow. It also took out the 2.2 ohm base resistor which saw the full primary voltage, that's where the flash came from.

That's a first - both transistors have always failed short until now. Since they worked fine open-loop at a higher power level, it's gotta be something about pulse skipping that they didn't like, but i can't figure out what. I'll see if the sim has anything useful to say. Btw, it's Saturday tomorrow, so i'll have to wake up early if i want to get new parts.
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Didn't wake up early today so no more blowing transistors till Monday, but i figured out why they blew. Because i'm driving the transformer thru a capacitor, when the drive is turned off for a longer period as to skip pulses, the voltage in the secondary ramps up to a high enough value as to turn the transistors back on for a significant amount of time, which leads to destruction. I first noticed that in simulation then confirmed with the real thing. The solution is to drive the transformer thru a resistor.

While testing that out i noticed that the output voltage dropped to 0.6v, just barely enough to turn on a transistor, and that the input voltage is at about the same value. So this is a 1:1 not a stepdown transformer as i thought initially. Hmm, it might be suitable for driving MOSFETs too... Anyway, something wasn't right, as i was supposed to be switching a 15v rail in that thing, the rail voltage doesn't drop, and the resistor didn't get hot so no way it could be 0.6v in the primary.

So, i uncovered a really silly mistake i did on the PCB. Instead of wiring the transformer primary between drain and +15v, i had wired it between drain and source. Thus what my mosfet was actually doing was shorting the 15v supply to ground... DUH!
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

So, upon fixing this silly mistake i was now left with more voltage than required to drive BJTs, and at high enough current that i set the gate resistors on fire. So, i switched to MOSFETs and this has to be the best thing i did since i started building this thing.

I now use IRF740s as the switching devices and have tested the supply to 230W load (i still only have one secondary winding on the transformer) with the mosfets mounted on an ATX PSU heatsink without a fan, and their temperature isn't over 50C. At low loads (<100W) the heatsink is at room temperature! So it looks like i will have no trouble getting 400W output and with impressive efficiency. Quite respectable for a first DIY effort! Also, when connecting the 200W load, the lightbulbs i use for a 30W load don't blink even for a fraction of a second. It's really nice having no error amp to worry about, this is a really fast feedback loop.

Pics coming tomorrow.

Comment

Can't see your schematic. I think the forums chopped it...?

Maybe parse it into several pages?

Looks like you're headed into an engineering education...

Cheers!
          Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            Can't see your schematic. I think the forums chopped it...?
            No i think it's the old thumbnail bug, seen it before. Here: http://a.*************/img831/7427/2...rward555sc.jpg Anyway that's the old schemo, now no more snubbers (not needed!), and the transistors are IRF740s, no gate resistors, the transformer is actually 1:1 not as i simulated it... oh well. I'll update it when i get home.

Oh and those pics i promised... I left forgetting to download 'em off the camera and i left the camera home. Will get back on the 7th and post 'em.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            Looks like you're headed into an engineering education...

Cheers!
            Toast
            Could be, after all, i'll be going to college and whatcha think i chose? EE. Along with 2 other classmates of mine from highschool, will be fun especially with those guys around.

Comment

Working...
            X