Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly faked Rubycon (good fake this time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly faked Rubycon (good fake this time)

Look at the MCZ here (the ZLH is for comparison and came from a reliable source (Farnell/Newark).

Looks quite good, just fairly tall for its capacitance (about 22mm), and isnt listed in the MCZ datasheet...
    If it werent for the totally wrong, crapcap-style bung, id just say its a specially made part. But with this style of bung? Theres absolutely no reason any OEM would tell Rubycon to use this style, because it causes trouble (see the white flux residiue?) and probably costs more to modify production lines then the 2 pico-cents it saves per part.

Now with no data for ESR, replacement is bit of a problem.
    Attached Files

Re: Possibly faked Rubycon (good fake this time)

kinda reminds me of the Rubycon MCZ's i've pulled from a dead intel mini ITX board. they also looked genuine, but had the cheapo circle bung.. really strange

those were on an intel D201GLY(2) board

single post
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...12&postcount=4
    thread
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9376

edit: by the way.. didn't MCZ's always have gold colored text ?!
    Last edited by Scenic; 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Also look at the date code on the fake......I dont think it was made in the 9th week of 1930.... lol
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Yes, its from an Foxconn/Intel Celeron 220 Board.
        I had it here because the fan was way too loud to acutally use it, and while looking around i noticed they saved on the VRM input capacitor, only 3 MLCCs are present. Not really good if your +12V are supplied over a 2 meter long cable from an external PSU, so i added a 1000u/16V KZE.
        Then i noticed the MCZs sit suspiciously flat on the board, e.g. no spacer bung and desoldered these to find what i posted.

Board also contains 2 3300/6.3V Nichicon HM, but these look okay.
        Medium and smaller caps are a mixture of Rubycon and Samxon 85°C GP...

Topcat: Huh?
        the A0930 Date Code is the "good" one. Translates to Week 30 of 2009 for me. Bought a pack of these from Newark last december, so the datecode makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by robert
          Yes, its from an Foxconn/Intel Celeron 220 Board.
          translates to a D201GLY2 .. mine came from a D201GLY (celeron 215)

Comment

Originally posted by robert
            Topcat: Huh?
            the A0930 Date Code is the "good" one. Translates to Week 30 of 2009 for me. Bought a pack of these from Newark last december, so the datecode makes sense.
            Bah, I must be dyslexic today, you're right. Had the numbers backward.

As for whoever asked if all MCZ's have gold lettering, no they don't. Seen a lot of Dell GX620's with the gray lettering, and they're real....why rubycon did it that way is beyond me.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I found 22mm tall 820uF MBZs on some old socket 478 Intel boards. Some boards had caps with the cheap looking bung, other boards had caps with the regular Rubycon bung. Both measured good on the ESR meter. I dissected them, they were identical on the inside as far as I could tell. Aside from the bung, they looked indistinguishable from each other.

Given that the extra tall 820uF MBZs are also a non-standard size, and that other people are seeing similar caps that otherwise look genuine, I'm wondering if Rubycon may use non-standard bungs for some of their non-standard size orders. I personally wouldn't chance it and would use something else, but I'm throwing it out there as a possibility.

Comment

If you want to avoid fake Rubycons, don't buy them from Hong Kong. I was just on eBay and I saw all very well faked Rubycons. Only the trained eye could see minor discrepancies on the sleeves since many of the sellers don't show the bung.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I too have seen the 20mm height 820uF 6.3v MCZ's in some Dell and Intel boards, they are real.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

caps+ebay= fakes 95% of the time. it ain't worth it.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The genuine article (radial):
                      Attached Files
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                        caps+ebay= fakes 95% of the time. it ain't worth it.
                        I found a good source of caps from China on eBay today.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird

send it to ratdude.. i think he might like that one..

Comment

I have to concur with Ratdude on this one....... The only good source in China I have for caps is Samxon, and the only reason I trust that source is because they come factory direct and my contact has always been on the level and reliable (big pope).

High quality Japanese caps such as Rubycon and panasonic coming from China is a dead ringer of being fake. I get most of my rubies directly from Rubycon, and they are not in china!! See my other thread in this section for a great example of chinese ebay fakes, and unfortunately, that's mostly what you'll find on ebay.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I think I might do a test order.

Comment

I think I might do a test order.
                                and hope they don't send you good on one order and send crap on another... I have heard of that happening as well.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                  and hope they don't send you good on one order and send crap on another... I have heard of that happening as well.
                                  that is their mo.
                                  on a small order you will get real parts.
                                  when you go for the huge order you get fakes.
                                  had that happen with yumuy flybacks.the samples were fine.ordered 200 for the nec 21" crt's.
                                  df not working on any of them.
                                  had to file a chargeback on my card.they would not fix the issue but they found time to try and fight the chargeback.
                                  the visa agent i was working with got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

Comment

Ok when I get them in I'll post some pics.

Comment

Working...
                                    X