Anything worse than GSC???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything worse than GSC???

Maybe, somewhere, there's a capacitor brand that's even worse than GSC. In fact, I doubt there isn't. Any examples???

Re: Anything worse than GSC???

Maybe Canicon or Sacon...

Comment

Sacon is another name for GSC. I don't know about Canicon.

Comment

fuhjyyu?

Comment

Guys,

GSC, evercon, and sacon IIRC are one and the same.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Guys,

GSC, evercon, and sacon IIRC are one and the same.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

A failed GSC... Okay, CapXon... seriously, I've replaced more of those than any other capacitor in TVs and monitors. Rubbish!
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

GSC/Sacon is the worst IMO. Fuhjyyu is a close second. Teapo is probably next.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Sapcon are pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    GSC/Sacon is the worst IMO. Fuhjyyu is a close second. Teapo is probably next.
                    Sacon FZ is a crappy crap by itself...

Comment

"Chhsi" seems to be as bad.

And 1000 uF+ Lelon is in a similar league.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The absolute worst is Rulycon (the fake Rubycon). The eletrolyte in those caps will break down regardless of whether they are run near their limits or not. In fact, they will go bad without being used.

BIG GAP

Second place I award to Stone caps. They will bulge at the slightest presence of heat.

A not so distant third, I would say Sacon FZ and maybe Evercon too (but not GSC). While they may be the same company, GSC *at least* don't go bad just by sitting around and they don't make a loud popping sound like Sacon FZ does when they fail.
                        I still have a Jetway N2PAP-LITE motherboard (circa 2003) with the original GSC ME caps. Works fine. I use it every now and then to test hardware and play some older games.

Fourth: CapXon. Heat them up a bit, and they'll hatch.

Fifth: All other crap caps. I don't consider Fuhjyyu that bad. Sure there were lots of failures in the early Antecs, but keep in mind that those older Antecs had retarded fan speed controllers, so it's not all Fuhjyyu's fault.
                        I have a Macron Power MPT-301 PSU that originally had all Fuhjyyu caps. Got it for free because the fan was stuck. The stuck fan caused some serious darkening of the PCB near the secondary heat sink. Guess what? - Those Fuhjyyu caps that were near it were bulged, but those that were a bit more far away were not. I fully recapped this power supply in 2008 or so. This year, I finally tested those Fuhjyyu caps. The bulged caps obviously tested bad on ESR, but the non-bulged ones tested fine - that's nearly 4 years after they have been pulled out of that power supply. So Fuhjyyu is far from being the worst.
                        Last edited by momaka; 05-08-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          but keep in mind that those older Antecs had retarded fan speed controllers, so it's not all Fuhjyyu's fault.
                          Like *cough cough* my 2005 SmartPower 2.0 500W.
                          The fan controller for the outer fan is one of the worst on the planet!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            Like *cough cough* my 2005 SmartPower 2.0 500W.
                            The fan controller for the outer fan is one of the worst on the planet!
                            Nothing a resistor can't fix. See my post on a fan mod and recap of a SmartPower 2.0 350w.
                            But yah, the way they come set up from the factory is pretty bad. It causes them to run hot even under a light load, putting similar stress on the components as running it at near 100% all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              The absolute worst is Rulycon (the fake Rubycon). The eletrolyte in those caps will break down regardless of whether they are run near their limits or not. In fact, they will go bad without being used.
                              My mom has a boombox with a mixture of Rulycon, Jackcon, and an assortment of unknown no-name caps. The Jackcon caps had failed, but the rest were still good.

I have an old ISA card with GSC caps on it. I don't know how old the card is, but the caps are still good.

The worst caps I have seen are Jackcon, these, and "SS" brand caps, as shown in the pictures below.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Aren't Viva pretty terrible too? And CapXon are pretty bad but seem to do decently in power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                  And CapXon are pretty bad but seem to do decently in power supplies.
                                  Nope.avi

Open up any recent (past 5 years or so) Fortron ATX PSU, or one based on a FSP (like almost all Zalman, most be quiet, some Cooler Master, ...). You're guaranteed to find bad CapXons, even if the unit isn't even 2 years old..

Same thing happens in a lot of LCD monitor PSUs.

CapXon seems to be the modern capacitor plague for PSUs of any kind, much like Sacon was (is?) for graphics cards.. (or Fuhjyyu for Antecs)

They'll last a bit longer than 1 1/2 years till they start to bulge. By the time the 2 year warranty runs out, it's just a matter of weeks or months till the device stops working properly.

For recent Fortron PSUs, it seems like there's always a 25V 100uF cap in the 5VSB circuit that dies first, preventing the PSU from starting up (ticking or completely dead). Most of the time, some of the secondary side caps are already puking as well (oddly enough, the ones on 3.3V seem to go first)

edit: @ lti: that's not an ISA card.. that's the controller board out of a CD-ROM drive lol
                                  Last edited by Scenic; 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

CapXon are the worst in power supplies! Never, ever say they are good!!! I have pulled loads of them from LCD TVs and computer PSUs. They bulge like nothing else after about 2 years. They are completely incompetent when it comes to engineering a good cap.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Has anyone here seen CapXons bulge if used as primary capacitors in PSUs or just on the secondaries?

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                        Has anyone here seen CapXons bulge if used as primary capacitors in PSUs or just on the secondaries?
                                        Not in my own equipment (I don't like CapXon and I replace CapXon primaries when possible), but if you have a look around the Audio forum here, you're bound to find more than a dozen amplifiers with bad CapXons on the primary.

Also, IIRC, there was a picture somewhere (not sure if on badcaps.net or elsewhere) showing the 2 CapXon caps of a PC PSU completely burned, and it wasn't the MOVs or anything else that caused it either - it was the CapXons.

CapXon caps also like to go O/C or high-ESR when used on the primary of a PSU with APFC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X