Think this is enough to destroy a MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think this is enough to destroy a MB?

yes no? The scratch isn't even NEAR a mount... Wonder how it got there?
    Attached Files
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

Re: Think this is enough to destroy a MB?

Simple answer is to check for continuity across each of those scratched areas.
    Find an opening, scrape and bridge with solder, reasemble, boot.
    Picture is a little fuzzy to tell, but under magnification you should see it better.
    Jim

Comment

Hope these pics help, my camera sucks.

I wasn't aware you could fix a board with a "trace" scratch. Can you tell me what I would need, and other information you see fit for the beginner?
      Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't look deep. I'd say it should work but you never know until you check the continuity. Sometimes it looks only a very small scratch but the trace is open.

Comment

Is there any certain tip/iron/solder I should use? Will I need any thing else tools/etc?

Heres a link to a local store.
          http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...ldering%20iron

I figure this will be a learning experiance for me one way or another. I'll work on something else first to get the hang of it. (broken awnsering machine, etc.)

Thanks,
          Brandon

Comment

If the traces are too thin and close to each other, I use conductive paint. Paint it over and then scrape the paint off between the traces using needle or tiny screwdriver, checking continuity between them to make sure they're not shorted together before powering up.

Comment

looks like rather large traces and tinned traces.
              looks to be an easy fix.

Comment

The scratch is around dime size, the traces are rather large and seperated quite well.
                Is there any certain tip/iron/solder I should use? Will I need any thing else tools/etc?
                If i can use the same tools as one uses for cap replacement just let me know. I've done some searching on google, and I've gotten some different info. some say use 15-20 watt irons, others 30 +. :/ I know watts don't matter as much as heat, but I'm still puzzled as to what tools to use.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well....I'll just chime in for my 2 cents.

Easy fix. Even if it did open the trace(s), its easy to fix. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions above.

One other thing we used to do back in the day was to get a thin piece of wire. Solder one end to one side of the break and then solder the wire to the other side of the break. Then cut away excess wire on either end.

Anyone ever use the trace repair kits like the old Pace setups??? I still have nightmares of putting in the little through-board thingys. (i can't remember their proper name. )
                  "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                  AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

> Solder one end to one side of the break and then solder the wire to the other side of the break. Then cut away excess wire on either end.

I'll second this, and add another recommendation. After finishing and checking for continuity and shorts, apply a thin layer of super-glue over the wires to encapsulate and insulate them. They won't easily dislodge after that.

Comment

I had a scratch exactly like that on an old Pentium motherboard but after it was repaired it worked fine. The scratch I had with that very old motherboard was made by my flat-head screwdriver while I was trying to replace the CPU heatsink, I was lucky there it was repairable!
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, and info peoples!

strech0069 "Solder one end to one side of the break and then solder the wire to the other side of the break."
                        Can't this cause, umm, a delay? Not sure what wording to use here.
                        this method won't damage, any other hardware right?

Comment

I don't think you have to worry about any delay, in the area of those scratches there is nothing that looks like a delay line, the only thing that catch my eyes is something that looks like a guarding trace but it might be the autorouter that went crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Decade
                            I don't think you have to worry about any delay, in the area of those scratches there is nothing that looks like a delay line, the only thing that catch my eyes is something that looks like a guarding trace but it might be the autorouter that went crazy
                            I don't know what a delay line, guarding trace, or auto router is! (I'll take your word for it)

As for the scratch, It's on the underside of the board, and it's rather close to the CPU socket. It's not directly under but close! EEEkkkk. I forgot to mention this.

As for the delay question, I was just asking because I'd seen a few words on delays, on google.

Comment

Sorry Brandon not my meaning to be technical it just went out
                              If you fix a crack on a board with a piece of wire that is to long it might make a delay and affect the moderboard somehow.
                              When I fix scratches that are not to deep on thin traces I usually clean the trace with a small knife to get rid of the lacquer and then solder right over the scratch, remeber don't use to much heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                                If the traces are too thin and close to each other, I use conductive paint. Paint it over and then scrape the paint off between the traces using needle or tiny screwdriver, checking continuity between them to make sure they're not shorted together before powering up.
                                I like this stuff - you can get it in a pen and just draw up the connection!
                                It is expensive though. (where I'm from)

Comment

Originally posted by Decade
                                  Sorry Brandon not my meaning to be technical it just went out
                                  No apologies required, I'm just glad to get the input/help! I've been fixing computers for college students, and the "under privileged" for a while, (FREE) I've just never encountered a problem like this! My current MB also has scratched traces, so thanks for the help.
                                  Brandon
                                  EDIT: like i said I don't know how it got there... (My MB):/
                                  Last edited by Brandon; 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cods69
                                    I like this stuff - you can get it in a pen and just draw up the connection!
                                    It is expensive though. (where I'm from)
                                    Here too - probably because it contains silver. There are also some cheaper ones here but I don't use them as it's almost impossible to really fix something using that.

Comment

Working...
                                    X