X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just pulled a record-setting drive

Western Digital Expert 100BA

10GB IDE, Manufactured 25 Sep 1999

According to SMART, 75,944POH (that's 3,164 days, or over 8.66 years of power-on time). Of course, also according to SMART, it has 7 reallocated and 14 pending sectors. Machine wouldn't boot any more and I couldn't Ghost it either. I was, however, able to hook it up as a slave and pull all the important files off.

It was pulled from the system it was originally installed in, a Compaq Deskpro with a PIII 500mhz. Up until last week, it was used in our QA lab during all 3 shifts, 6 days a week.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Just pulled a record-setting drive

The shared hosting company I first used (have moved since to dedicated servers) has servers running since 2002:

https://www2.suresupport.com/network.php

SERVER ON SINCE DAYS MINUTES DOWNTIME-MIN. UPTIME STATUS DESCRIPTION

Machine36 2002-09-09 3432 4942080 0 100.00% OK Operational
    Thehosting123 2002-06-25 3508 5051520 0 100.00% OK Operational

That's 9+ years...

Comment

That's quite impressive... but this is a desktop drive, that was installed in a computer that's been used in some of the hottest places in our manufacturing facility. The case of the computer itself is sticky with grease and oil buildup... Bit different than what you would hope is a climate-controlled datacenter. Not to mention all the supporting hardware is enterprise class.

However, this drive might've been quite advanced for 1999, since it's actually a 7200 RPM drive.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

IIRC, the "Expert" is a DeskStar with a Western Digital badge slapped on it!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Retire that one with honors!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
            That's quite impressive... but this is a desktop drive, that was installed in a computer that's been used in some of the hottest places in our manufacturing facility. The case of the computer itself is sticky with grease and oil buildup... Bit different than what you would hope is a climate-controlled datacenter. Not to mention all the supporting hardware is enterprise class.

However, this drive might've been quite advanced for 1999, since it's actually a 7200 RPM drive.
            also machine uptime =/= hard disk uptime. we have hundreds of machines with 24/7 uptime of almost ten years now, but disks have always been failing. that's why there's raid and hot-swap. as long as less than two disks fail at a time, the system can keep running while the disks are replaced. but realistically, the mean hard disk time in a datacenter is near 4 years (since they're usually forced to be tossed by then).

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Retire that one with honors!
              She deserves it... the spindle bearings are just about seized, I think. Whines like a mofo!

Originally posted by toastygoodness View Post
              also machine uptime =/= hard disk uptime. we have hundreds of machines with 24/7 uptime of almost ten years now, but disks have always been failing. that's why there's raid and hot-swap. as long as less than two disks fail at a time, the system can keep running while the disks are replaced. but realistically, the mean hard disk time in a datacenter is near 4 years (since they're usually forced to be tossed by then).
              Another good point!
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Hungary-made DeskStars are known to whine like a mofo.

And that's even when not used a whole lot.

And the "Hungary" ones appear to be inferior to the "Philippines" ones.
                (Because the SMART of a "Hungary" tends to report trouble with the "Spin Up Retry" attribute.)
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

This old WD100 was made in Malaysia
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Remember when we thought going from a 10 MB drive to a 20 MB was the cat's meow?
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                      This old WD100 was made in Malaysia
                      Typical with most Western Digitals of that gen. Have you seen one of those where Western Digital slapped its name on a DeskStar?
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                        Remember when we thought going from a 10 MB drive to a 20 MB was the cat's meow?
                        Not me... my first computer had a 540mb seagate drive in it. I did run across a 30 mb drive in a Tandy 3000 later on, though. One of the big double height, 5.25" drives that took about a minute to get up to operational speed

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        Typical with most Western Digitals of that gen. Have you seen one of those where Western Digital slapped its name on a DeskStar?
                        Not that I know of, but this could be one?
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

My Windows 2003 server drives have been running 24/7 since 2003 two Seagate Barracudas SATA 150GB mirrored for redundancy they're about eight.

They're in a cool basement, rarely powered down, and in a well ventilated case so that probably plays a factor.

I wish they made drives as good as these just got a replacement WD 1TB in the mail. I seem to average at least 2-3 drives a year with all of my PCs. These newer drives drop like flies.

I wish solid state storage would get out of its infancy already.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                          I still have an 8088 with a double height 10MB drive. Man those things are bulky they've got a stepper motor to move the heads too. It's not a hard drive its a bigger floppy drive . Truly a coarse piece of machinery by today's standards.

I use the top platter cover of a double height MFM that crashed for storage to hold screws and stuff I can store a lot in it .
                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM.
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                            I wish they made drives as good as these just got a replacement WD 1TB in the mail. I seem to average at least 2-3 drives a year with all of my PCs. These newer drives drop like flies.
                            blue? black? green? RE?
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              blue? black? green? RE?
                              It was a Green I bought it under duress in 08 since the store was out of Blues. The Greens are slightly slower but this is a P4 3.2 rig I figured it wasn't worth the trouble driving to another store to find a Blue.

The comp was randomly BSODing on boot up WDs drive diagnostic tool confirmed it was circling the drain so I backed up the data.

This is my first and last Green. 7200RPM Blues or Blacks only.
                              Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM.
                              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

^ if you still have it, check the smart value for "load cycle count". I bet it's far beyond 200k

Regular greens park their heads after 3-5secs of inactivity, which ultimately kills the drives (out of head alignment).
                                No other WD series (blue, black, RE, AV, AV-GP) has this timer. Only the regular greens.

The head parking timer is fine for a storage/backup drive, but a lot of people use it as a system drive, which is about the worst thing you can do with one of those and gives them a bad reputation.. a bad reputation because the owner used it for something it was never designed for.. *facepalm*

My AV-GP (a 1TB WD10EVDS .. "AV Green" version of the WD10EADS) only has 706 load cycle counts after about 2 years of use (power on hours).

If it has to be a Green WD, it's AV-GP series or nothing.
                                Last edited by Scenic; 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I had to send the drive out first so I don't have it anymore. Should have checked it I'm curious now.

I'll definitely take a closer look at the drive I'm buying next time. I figured the low power consumption was only the result of a lower RPM spindle motor not also a stupid head parking timer.

No need for a specific model drive I found this command line app from WD:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1367904

With it you can disable the idle timer to prevent parking or increase the time till the heads park in the firmware.

I disabled it on mine. To do that type wdidle3 /d

If you type wdidle3 /r it will report the idle time in seconds. Use /s to change the value.

For example wdidle3 /s9.00 (no spaces) would change it to 9 seconds. Over 12.6 seconds enter the raw value in seconds the max is 300 seconds (5 minutes). Above 12.6 for example wdidle3 /s30 for 30 seconds.

Type wididle3 /? to display the program command line parameters. My first PC had Windows 3.1 so I'm right at home with Dos .

I'm not getting caught with my pants down again I don't need WDs intellicrash .

Unfortunately it only works under Dos here is an ISO boot CD the file already has been bundled so you can run it straight off the CD through Freedos.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                                    I seem to average at least 2-3 drives a year with all of my PCs. These newer drives drop like flies.

WOW!!!!!!!! Remember when PCBONEZ said to perpendicular recording??? Thank god I still have my old ST380011A...

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      Were those the WD Expert drives? I vaguely remember their motor connections being 90 degrees from the location IBM used.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post

WOW!!!!!!!! Remember when PCBONEZ said to perpendicular recording??? Thank god I still have my old ST380011A...
                                        Which time?
                                        I've been saying that for years and the same people that lined up to tell I was full of crap come in here with drive problems a year or two later...
                                        PRM pushes the mechanical [and electrical at the disc surface] limits of a drive.
                                        If you're going to push the limits of the technology then you'd best be buying the high end high quality [precision built] 'Enterprise Class' parts or you are virtually guaranteed to have more problems.
                                        - It's really a no brainer...
                                        With PRM there is less area/mass to store the charge in and less distance to neighboring charges so charges are going to be less stable with time.
                                        The 'target' the head has to 'hit' is much smaller so not only is a 'miss' more likely, the head has less time to store the charge as it flys by the target.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X