Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: imac G5 Celetronix P/N :614-0363

Hi. Thx for input.

I still havent got this thing to work. I don't really need it since I bought replacement from ebay, but would be fun to get it functional again.

Changed all caps expect the big one.
    Changed octocoupler since it woudnt turn on (Didn't work either, but now I get a whopping 0.6v instead of 0.2 out )

Voltage in main cap with nothing as load: (standby?) 430v
    Voltage across the smallest cap: 10v
    Voltage across the output caps in end of card: 0v (After octocoupler everything is dead.)

Under the copperplate, that acts like a shield and heat-sink for some low-level fets, I found one transistor that acts like a bad diode. Diode beep test goes off in both directions @ one pin.
    nice blurry image to display which one:

Sadly this transistor have zero printing on it
    Some1 who can confirm how this transistor should behave during diode test?

Cheers /E

Comment

Looks like this post has been inactive for a while. I just got one of these iMac in and I'm going by this forum to test if the power supply is faulty or not. Most of the info has been nice but a lot of different opinions. Anyway we could get a good consensus of what some of these output voltages we should be seeing on this unit. Thanks.

Comment

Nevermind, just blew my power supply. Wasn't paying attention and is shorted on the metal case. Fuse blown and who know what else. Looked on Ebay and found a replacement with slightly different part numbers but looks physically to be exactly like mine. Ordered it for $15.99 shipped. So I think it's work the investment to see if this unit still has some life to it.

Comment

Hi,

I have two of these faulty PSUs! Same fault: won't power up and ticking sound.

In one of them I replaced the 5 little caps with no luck: same fault.

I read it will hardly depend upon the very big cap but, given the others are new, could it be for mine? Or is there any other element which could be ticking?

Thanks in advance for your attention, I really hope in your help, this forum is wonderful!

Best Regards
          Riccardo

Comment

I got this wonder with blown fuse. Identified bad diode in the input rectifier and also opened input capacitor (Chemi-Con PAG, 150 uF/400 V). So I measured the small KZE 27 uF/25 V nearby, it had ESR of 25+ ohm.

My idea is the small cap was driving the driving IC crazy which led to high load on the rectifier, together with the heat one diode burned and the spike killed the filtering cap as one electrode was compeltely cut of. But it may be just the other way around, there was some electrolyte but not really much inside the cap and the color is not healthy, check attachement.

Anyway, check also the small cap in the middle of the PSU next time. I've replaced it with 47uF Nichicon PW right away, no need for the smallest capacity available from the datasheet
            Attached Files
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              I got this wonder with blown fuse. Identified bad diode in the input rectifier and also opened input capacitor (Chemi-Con PAG, 150 uF/400 V). So I measured the small KZE 27 uF/25 V nearby, it had ESR of 25+ ohm.

My idea is the small cap was driving the driving IC crazy which led to high load on the rectifier, together with the heat one diode burned and the spike killed the filtering cap as one electrode was compeltely cut of. But it may be just the other way around, there was some electrolyte but not really much inside the cap and the color is not healthy, check attachement.

Anyway, check also the small cap in the middle of the PSU next time. I've replaced it with 47uF Nichicon PW right away, no need for the smallest capacity available from the datasheet
              Look at the paper in the capacitor you pictured. Looks like it got VERY hot!
              One sugguestion of that is normally the plastic sleeve is shrunk in the place where they squeeze the metal can over the bung (not the edge of the can, but around the sides)to seal it. Now, the plastic sleeve you pictured has that portion bowed outwards, which I have seen before on capacitors that have gotten quite hot. Sorry I can't explain the part I am talking about that well
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yeah it was also quite cracky, I got problems getting the sleeve from it in one piece…I think it is quite hot inside, it is very crowded inside, only with small heatsinks but up to 185 watts are flowing through.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

There was also bloated KZJ on the main board. I don't have the LCD, supposedly it could be damaged so I got only the rest, but without that it seems to be in working condition, according to LEDs and sounds, it was booting OS…

Comment

Hi everybody,

having a iMac Core Duo 20" (2006, i guess) here which is completely dead.
                    I had a look at the PSU and found that I dont want to repair it.

Instead, I tried to attach an external power supply (nice side effect: less thermal load within the iMac case.)

So I soldered cables from the 2 gray and 2 black cables to the AC connector. Took care for polarity and connected a 12V /25A PSU - but nothing happens, iMac wont boot. PSU says a circuit of 0,9 ... 1,7A (not steady) is on. Pressing the start button doesnt do anything either.

Was it a stupid idea just to attach the iMac to 12V? Could it at all work this way? I didnt see it uses other voltages than 12V - right? - Or is it likely I did some mistake at reassembly?

Cheers,
                    Wolf

Comment

There's some kind of control rail, don't remember exactly, but I guess it does not work without it

Comment

Could you please give me an idea what you mean by 'control rail'? Yet, I can't imagine what to look for or to think about.

Tks a lot,
                        herrdeh

Comment

See Post 40
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi, thanks for the hint. Sorry, even after rereading it several times and rethinking several days, I cannot get the clou out of #40. Could you be a little more verbose? (-:

Comment

Hi
                              I have an iMac Core Duo 20 " that does not start. PSU is Celetronix APP-22-LMF38A / LMF60. It sounds just tic - tic as output would be short-circuit. I have needed help, is the first Celetronix PSU that I have seen.
                              I had the problems with account creation, because my email account is on Yahoo, so in the meantime I started digging. Fortunately after 2 days of work I found a dry solder joint and tied to this , two 200 ohm burned resistors, in a parallel . PSU started with 11.94V on gray and 3.45V on brown . What a pity that i managed to burn hyper fast diode RHR660 , very hard to find . I just ordered in China . I mounted one ultra fast and it kinda warms .

Comment

Working...
                              X