Fake Nichicons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Nichicons

I ended up getting a whole batch of fake Nichicons. I recently found out there were at least 4 different manufacturers thrown into the batch of fakes based on the bungs and the top patterns. I think one of the fake sources is Teapo (three lines and dots) but the others have a simple cross on the top vent.

I noticed "type 3" - the third from the left - had no way in hell in surviving anything above about 10 volts. I don't know about the other ones but suspect they all have the same problem. These are all rated 3300uF 16V and a fake RS(M) written on them.

"Type 4" - the one on the right (or fourth from left) looks like a Teapo but I don't know what Teapo bungs look like for sure. It measured 2200uF so that one's really wrong.

I got a refund for them (and did not have to return this trash) after pointing it out so I guess I'm not too upset but finding it interesting...

In the other thread where I bloated/exploded two of them, these were "type 3".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-11-2016, 08:32 AM.

Re: Fake Nichicons

Just curious, since you live in the USA, do you buy caps from digikey and/or mouser?

You are likely to get real genuine parts at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

No this was a China source. I kind of assumed these were phony to begin with but expected them to "work" at least for a short while as I wanted to use them as test caps (like what I did). However these are not even acceptable at all!

I'm planning to do at least a partial recap (mainly the X caps and a few of the analog PSU filter caps) of my Tektronix 2440 and going to be ordering from Mouser.

BTW, I noticed my crap NTE capacitors (probably Teapo as well?) look like "Type 4".
      I had a spare "jwco" crap cap and the bung/vent seems to match "Type 2".
      Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-11-2016, 10:19 AM.

Comment

NTE = any old crap we can find and rebadge that can replace the original - atleast in most applications!.

ever wonder why they dont have the original markings aswell as the NTE number?
        because if they did, you could get a datasheet and look at the real price!

Comment

Yeah, I would imagine the vent and the seal bung would still match the original manufacturer. From vague pictures I saw on the web it indeed looks like a Teapo.

Incidentally I don't know why I haven't come across a blown Teapo yet. Mostly Fuhjyyu's for me.

I think whoever did these Nichicons are even worse than NTE. At least NTE tried to make it work for some applications. This counterfeiter seems to have made it work for NO applications!

(though I'd like to try my 470uF 35V NTEs that I have on a PSU to see if I can see the same behavior. Alas my Sencore only has a 25 and then 50V range.)

Comment

Working...
          X