HP dv1000 not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP dv1000 not responding

Well, I was given a broken dv1000 (I'll update the exact model later) that has a working power adapter, but shows no signs of being plugged in or charging and won't power up at all.

I've found a few support threads and the best theory seems to be that the lines on the motherboard can become cracked due to bad HP engineering when opening/closing the laptop.

However, I would like few more opinions on this. I've attached some pictures, but if someone wants a closer image of an area, I've still got it open.

Also, please ask any clarifying questions. I've tried so many angles with this thing that I honestly can't remember specifics anymore.
    Attached Files

Re: HP dv1000 not responding

is this a p4 with nvidia?

Comment

I'm assuming you've already checked the simple stuff, like broken DC jack and shorted power? Does it run on batteries (if you have a charged one that fits)?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        is this a p4 with nvidia?
        I believe that it is a celeron M and I'll have to check on the graphics when I get home. Honestly, I didn't expect any replies this quickly. Thank you, I'm a little taken off guard by the fast replies.

And unfortunately I don't have a charged battery and it doesn't look like anything is broken, but as I said before, keep the questions coming and I'll double check once it's in my hands.

Comment

basically im just curious what the specs are. because p4 cpus run hot and nvidia gfx chips in laptops are known to overheat and partially unsolder themsleves from the motherboar.

Comment

Wow, I'm always amazed at how short the edit time is here.

Well, either way, the actual model is dv1610us and the graphics chip is an intel GMA 900 (yikes, I didn't realize it was that low-my netbook can handle more )

Full system specs

And I double checked the power plug and everything indeed seems intact. I still can't find any physical evidence of something being broken, but then again I can't see the tiny things.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
              Wow, I'm always amazed at how short the edit time is here.
              It was raised to 2 hours just yesterday.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
                And I double checked the power plug and everything indeed seems intact. I still can't find any physical evidence of something being broken, but then again I can't see the tiny things.
                Can you post a macro shot of the DC jack area (bottom side where the pins are located)?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  basically im just curious what the specs are. because p4 cpus run hot and nvidia gfx chips in laptops are known to overheat and partially unsolder themsleves from the motherboar.
                  Not in this case. The only nVidia chips that were bundled with the Centrino were FX series and below which did not posses any inherent defects, so this is not the problem.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
                    Can you post a macro shot of the DC jack area (bottom side where the pins are located)?
                    Will these do?
                    Attached Files

Comment

just a trial ....

try re-solder this part (attacment)
                      and re-measure that part again...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Please Check for Short Circuit on PC151 , PC55 and PQ44

PC151 and PC55 Near ODD Connector

PQ44 Near DC Jack

If They are in Short try to replace them.

Good Luck

Comment

I believe dv series is late enough to have an on board fuse. It's a tiny mother and looks like the size of an on board resistor except for the fact that it is (usually) cylindrical.
                          A common open for these units. You can bet it will happen if the wrong PS is applied. It's located just before the first diode, inbound. not enough magnification. macro mag needed to determine exact area. ( sorry, me eyes aren't as good as they once were LOL)

Comment

After looking a bit harder, I think I see that little guy. He's right behind the power jack. If it's just a tiny bit larger than a resistor but has no markings except maybe a 6A on it and it is cylindrical. That's your dude to check out. Ones I have usually seen are 6 amps. Could be +/- a few though. What's a dv at? 19 or 19.5? something like that. Let us know if that's the culprit please.

Comment

I was also given a dead dv1000 and was staring at a circuit board which had no visible faults and wondering what to do next.

When I applied power in the hope that I could check some voltage readings to verify that at least the power supply was working I noticed tiny sparks on C150 near the input socket.

That seemed like a good place to start, so I removed it and found that the various blue LEDs would now flash briefly when the power button was pressed. At least there were some signs of life now.

There were no markings on the little smd capacitor (and I only knew it was a capacitor because of the screen printed label on the board), so I decided on the "brute force and ignorance" method of troubleshooting. I got the smallest tantalum capacitor I had handy and soldered it to the now vacant smd pads.

Voila! Pressing the power button now brought everything to life and it has worked ever since.

I have no idea what value the original capacitor was, but as the substitute (2uF) fixed the problem I have left it as is.
                              Attached Files

Comment

i have the same model and the same problem,but i already try all suggestions here..,but still not working...,anyone help?
                                Last edited by raizenn27; 08-11-2011, 04:18 AM.

Comment

OK. I found the value of C150. The circuit diagram shows it to be 1uF.
                                  However, my 2uF replacement is still working fine.

Comment

Working...
                                  X