Gateway fpd1975w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway fpd1975w

Ok, so my Gateway FPD1975W died this morning. It had been exhibiting symptoms of trouble for several years. It would cycle on and off every few seconds when returning from sleep mode, but a power cycle would correct. This morning, I came in to the office to find that it was totally dead, and the best I could get out of it was a slow blinking blue power light.

After much research on the interwebz, and finding this forum, I'd like to ask for a little more experieced advice on the cause and correction. I think its the caps on the power board, as one is slightly bowed outward on the top. But since I'm an amateur, I thought I'd ask the group.

Pics attached of the board. Please let me know what you think. There is some discoloration on the board, looking like it did get a little hot.

Thanks, John
    Attached Files

Comment

Start with the caps on the power supply, that one 470uF next to the heatsink is definitely shot:

C110 Samxon GF(M) 470uF 25V
      C114 Samxon GF(M) 47uF 25V
      C201 Samxon GF(M) 220uF 25V
      C205 Samxon GF(M) 470uF 25V
      C206 Samxon GF(M) 470uF 25V
      C207 Samxon GF(M) 470uF 25V
      C209 Samxon GF(M) 220uF 25V
      C211 Samxon GF(M) 470uF 25V
      C301 Samxon GF(M) 220uF 25V
      C302 Samxon GF(M) 220uF 25V

Totals:

(1) 47uF 25V - replace with Panasonic FC or FM
      (4) 220uF 25V - replace with Panasonic FC or FM
      (5) 470uF 25V - replace with Panasonic FC or FM

Don't worry about the large one on its side (for now) unless it is physically damaged. The heat marks don't look too bad, so that's probably not an issue. If the caps don't resolve the issue, post back and include pics of your logic/main board.

Comment

Originally posted by youreekaa View Post
        I think its the caps on the power board, as one is slightly bowed outward on the top.
        That cap is definitely bad. You will note that is the cap closest to the heat sink and since heat flows up, it takes the brunt of all the abuse. Heat kills caps.

It is not a stretch to think that all the caps north of that bloated cap have been subjected to heat as well and they will probably die soon.

You will learn that caps don't have to be bloated to be bad. They can have high ESR (ohms) or be out of tolerance. For example, a 2200uF 35V cap may meausre 300uF.

Most here will recommend replacing ALL your caps (I count 10). If you live in the USA, it shouldn't cost more than $10 USD. You can follow PlainBill's instructions at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That power supply looks very familiar. If you will note there is a small capacitor next to the SMPS transformer (it's at the upper left in the second picture). That cap can cause start up problems. I notice wrog listed it as one to replace. Don't cut corners; replace it. Really replace them all except for the large 100uF, 450 Volt one.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your quick input. I am going to get all 10 and replace them. I will let you know once completed how it went.

John

Comment

Originally posted by youreekaa View Post
              am going to get all 10 and replace them.
              BTW, it looks like the transformer is dated 0627 for 2006 week 27. So all those caps have been in use for 4+ years so replacing them all should get you at least another 4+ years of use.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Oh wow, I forgot to come back and tell everyone that it worked. It did indeed have bad capacitors, and I went ahead and replaced them. It works fine now. My nephew has been using it at college since then without problems.

It might be late, but thanks to all that helped!
                A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech View Post
                  Oh wow, I forgot to come back and tell everyone that it worked. It did indeed have bad capacitors, and I went ahead and replaced them. It works fine now. My nephew has been using it at college since then without problems.
                  Outstanding, congrats! One more kept out of the landfill.

Comment

So...I have a FPD1975 and it failed due to capacitors on the Inverter board then during disassembly I accidently broke original board that came with the monitor...and went to replace it with a new one. The new board has all the capacitors replaced and upgraded. Then as i went to install the inverter board...it didnt set right and as i screwed it in it started to crack. I reset it and bolted it back in...then went to continue and powered it up and it worked with no problems for like 2 seconds then shut off...T_T I realized that i hadnt grounded the inverter board to the monitor (yes i know...hits forehead) So i went to re-do that then plug it in and now it will power for 1 second and shut off showing black.

I did some troubleshooting and realized that when i plug in the four bulb connectors to the inverter i get power no problem but second i plug in that one video wire that comes from the LCD it shorts out. Now i think its in relation to the fracture on the board since they are opposite sides of where the connection might be severed.

Has anybody had any issue like this before? Any info will help, im probably gonna run to radio shack to see if i can fix the crack and re-solder the connection and test again.

Comment

Originally posted by stemid01 View Post
                      So...I have a FPD1975 and it failed due to capacitors on the Inverter board then during disassembly I accidently broke original board that came with the monitor...and went to replace it with a new one. The new board has all the capacitors replaced and upgraded. Then as i went to install the inverter board...it didnt set right and as i screwed it in it started to crack. I reset it and bolted it back in...then went to continue and powered it up and it worked with no problems for like 2 seconds then shut off...T_T I realized that i hadnt grounded the inverter board to the monitor (yes i know...hits forehead) So i went to re-do that then plug it in and now it will power for 1 second and shut off showing black.

I did some troubleshooting and realized that when i plug in the four bulb connectors to the inverter i get power no problem but second i plug in that one video wire that comes from the LCD it shorts out. Now i think its in relation to the fracture on the board since they are opposite sides of where the connection might be severed.

Has anybody had any issue like this before? Any info will help, im probably gonna run to radio shack to see if i can fix the crack and re-solder the connection and test again.
                      We all have moments of klutziness. Your clumsiness was high, but not record breaking. However, when you post your problem in two threads, you take it to a new level.

When I saw the first post, my reaction was to tell you to give the monitor to someone capable of fixing it and buy yourself a used monitor. In the spirit of the season I decided to be nice, and not say that. With your second post I've reconsidered that decision.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I found D502 and D503 burnt o the power supply on my FPD1975W monitor. I cannot find the part numbe for the life of me! Anybody know where i can find a parts list???

Comment

Originally posted by Hooker Jay View Post
                          I've got a Gateway FPD1976W that was doing the same thing for the month I had it (given to me for free by my daughter's great grampa because it blinked on and off on him) until 4 days ago when I woke up to the blue botton blinking on and off.

When I eventually did get it fire back up and stay lit (by completely unplugging and draining it of power for 30 seconds), it was a grayish white screen and the OSD buttons didn't work at all. No warning in the corner about native resolution either. Pressed the power button and it never came on again. All it does now is if I plug it in and hold down the power button, the button itself will blink orange momentarily every 3 to 5 seconds.

Looking to recap it see what happens. Luna's pics gives me an idea of what to expect if Gateway used the same power inverters for the FPD1975W and FPD1976W models.
                          Bought the cap repair set from
                          http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommerce.com
                          Replaced the caps with ones that came with the kit and presto!!! new monitor!
                          P.S One lil advice thing..hemostats are great tab benders to pull the plastic tabs away from the four little screws that hold the screen to the frame on the inside. The hemostats also made it easy to hold the tabs out to put the lil screws back as its a lil awkward.
                          The circuit board is easy to work with as the caps are placed in such a way as the curcuit traces (single sided board) were thick and spacious. I used a desoldering iron (favorite). The replacement and reassembly took less than 30 minutes. The company That sent the caps get good points for a smooth transaction and good product. Parts and shipping cost was 15.90.

Best money ever spent to repair the worst money ever spent on a monitor.

Thx to all on the forum

Comment

hi

i had a problem with the display this morning (FPD1975w-MX) the MX i believed its cause i´m in Mexico or whatever... ...
                            i tried to turn on the monitor but it wouldn´t.. i thought it was the wall outlet but i tried plugging it somewhere else and i had the same problem...i unplugged it several times and plugged it back again and nothing happened.. then i saw this forum and i don´t know if it could be the capacitors or something else...
                            yesterday i was using it all day like everyday and i never had this problem before, i´ve had this monitor for about 3 or more years.
                            I just turned off the pc and turn it back on and the led button was light blue and not the regular blue color thats always there i don´t know if that could help to distinguish the problem or not... well i´ll appreciate if someone could help me here..

Comment

Originally posted by contenido20 View Post
                              hi

i had a problem with the display this morning (FPD1975w-MX) the MX i believed its cause i´m in Mexico or whatever... ...
                              i tried to turn on the monitor but it wouldn´t.. i thought it was the wall outlet but i tried plugging it somewhere else and i had the same problem...i unplugged it several times and plugged it back again and nothing happened.. then i saw this forum and i don´t know if it could be the capacitors or something else...
                              yesterday i was using it all day like everyday and i never had this problem before, i´ve had this monitor for about 3 or more years.
                              I just turned off the pc and turn it back on and the led button was light blue and not the regular blue color thats always there i don´t know if that could help to distinguish the problem or not... well i´ll appreciate if someone could help me here..
                              Superman can see through monitor cases, even at a distance. I can't. I'd suggest opening up the monitor, taking pictures, and attaching them to your next post using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

The pictures should be at least 1000 x 1000 pixels, but not over 2000. Sharp and well lit is important.

PlainBill

Comment

I cracked open one of these today while I waited on some parts for other monitors. My problem on this one is only a brief PLED with a flash of backlights. I recapped the power board with Low ESR Nichi's, PSonics and Rubycons. All matched the originals for UF and V. The originals were SamXon GF's . I reassembled the monitor and still no picture. Same basic problem.

I then took it back apart and checked the connector between the power board and the main board. With the main board attached I got the following: 5v measured 1.66v and the 12v measured 11.91v taken from the backside of main board.

After getting the low voltage reading on the connector I rechecked both the round and the rectangle fuse both are 3.15a 250v slo blo. The rectangle one read 5.31Kohms. So safe to assume that one is toast. The round fuse by the AC plug was still ok. What could have caused that fuse to blow and not the one by the AC plug?

After recapping and before I reassembled the monitor I also checked the inverter transformers on the secondary side and got 970 ohms on each.

Merry Christmas and to all a good
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by killian6pk; 12-24-2011, 06:25 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
                                Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
                                  The rectangle one read 5.31Kohms.
                                  Definitely bad. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.

What could have caused that fuse to blow and not the one by the AC plug?
                                  It can be age and/or some component like a transistor/diode/mosfet going short causing it to blow.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks I will check those. There is no way to see this on a picture, but on the power board there is a Diode that is turned up on end like you sometimes see a resistor done and the plastic part seems to be broken. One part is on one end and the other on the other end. Have you ever seen a diode done like that? I checked it with my DMM on Diode Setting and it gave me a reading of 0.479 one way and .OF the other way round. Does that mean that the diode is bad?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Thanks I will check those. There is no way to see this on a picture, but on the power board there is a Diode that is turned up on end like you sometimes see a resistor done and the plastic part seems to be broken. One part is on one end and the other on the other end. Have you ever seen a diode done like that? I checked it with my DMM on Diode Setting and it gave me a reading of 0.479 one way and .OF the other way round. Does that mean that the diode is bad?
                                      What's the reference designator of the diode? I have one of these someplace and I can help verify measurements. Also, is that an updated pic a few posts back? Looks like there is at least one bloated cap next to the heatsink.

Comment

I checked it with my DMM on Diode Setting and it gave me a reading of 0.479 one way and .OF the other way round. Does that mean that the diode is bad?
                                        Those measurements suggest the diode is good.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Wrog -- Can't see anything as far as numbers etc. because of location and orientation of Diode. I borrowed that picture off another post in this thread. It is the same as mine and i just needed a reference for the fuses. From what you are saying that is a Diode that is in use at least sometimes on power boards. I had never seen one like that before.

Retired -- thanks. I can forget that as a possible sounds like. I am trying to get the Mosfet out of the board (hate this lead free solder) so I can read it out of circuit. The two Schottky Diodes seem to be ok. I have read that they don't go bad very often anyway. I will get back to you with the Mosfet readings.

Comment

Working...
                                          X