Media center Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media center Linux

I have a computer in the living room at the moment running XP Pro but I want to turn this into a HTPC type of thing.
    Basically it's a P4 2.4Ghz with a Gigabyte GA-8i848P-G motherboard, 1GB RAM and an ATi 9250 128MB AGP graphics card. The 80GB hard drive should suffice for my MP3 collection and movies etc. shall be run off my external 500GB HDD so it should be okay.
    So basically I want a Linux OS that can do all of this and also support my Plasma TV's ever so low resolution of 848x480 pixels.

So what's a good Linux for this? I also want it to be simple and easy to use for my parents etc.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Media center Linux

any Linux,
    i use Mandriva.

it's the app's that count.

if your just playing then XBMC is the thing.
    if your after pvr function using tuner-cards then myth-tv is the answer.

both are optimised for use at low res and can be run from an IR remote.

Comment

XBMC runs in Windows too doesn't it?
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

it does, but not so well - less access to resources.
        and it cant route the output to the second socket on the videocard - i'v personally seen that.

Comment

second output in the video card? I'm only using the one DVI port so is that ok?

Comment

it is.

Comment

Working...
            X