Sound Cards sabotage Video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Cards sabotage Video!

It seems so obvious when you think about it - if your sound card has a lot of high-ESR caps on it, since it plugs into the PCI slot of your motherboard, it WILL DEFINITELY impact video playback a LOT!

Case in point, my ASUS CUR-DLS dual CPU P3 board had a working sound card but playing youtube or movie trailer video in full screen mode gave jerky stuttering results.

No caps on the Sound Blaster video card were leaky or bulging, but I checked ESR and found that every one of the 4.7uf 5v caps gave a reading of about 5. In fact, all of the lower uf caps had very high ESR readings (3 or higher)..

Got some new caps, recapped the sound card and the jerky video completely went away! Able to play full-screen even with the infamous onboard Rage chipset.
    Hard to find the "little" caps in low-ESR series, and since the original card used 85C caps, I replaced with M-series Panasonics, much larger than the originals.

I'll bet a lot of boards with integrated sound suffer the same degradation because of crappy caps in the audio circuit.

Like my 800FSB IBM with 3.0Mhz hyper-thread CPU - video is terrible. The board is littered with 85C caps, presumably for the sound! I modded a small fan onto the Northbridge heat sink to keep the temps down. Hardinfo shows CPU temp of 78C, board has no hardware monitor settings itself. Looks like a full-recap job is called for!
    I'll go 105C all the way on this one.

Re: Sound Cards sabotage Video!

Why 105° caps where they aren't needed ?
    85° caps can perform better at 20° than 105° with the same rating.

Comment

>>I replaced with M-series Panasonics<<

What series
      veritas odium parit

Comment

M Series, Page 1567 Digi-key. catalog. Equivalent to Nichicon VR , Chemicon SMG, Rubycon YK, and Sanyo HC.

So just general purpose caps. The Sound Blasters use 85c caps, so I just found the equivalent in the Digi-Key catalog ans used them.

Looks like Nichicon PW is the 105C "better" version.

These small caps don't seem to be offered in the more expensive series like Panasonic FM etc.

Comment

I think it maybe slowing down drivers and not the bus itself.
          the sound driver was backing up your system probably because the sound card was slow to respond.

Comment

Working...
          X