CMOS battery mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMOS battery mystery

When I got my board there was an issue where if the system lost power, even with a brand new and good CR2032 installed, the BIOS would say the settings were invalid and clear the CMOS.
    The BIOS CAN in fact detect that the battery is good and it shows me 3.01V in the BIOS setup page so I then assumed that it could possibly just be a wonky BIOS flash so I reflashed the BIOS, did a checksum check which was okay, followed by a reboot to ensure the flash worked and then when that was good I powered the system off and yanked the plug. After plugging it back in and powering it back on the system AGAIN complained about the CMOS setting being invalid.
    Okay, so I don't know how to really see if the CMOS is or is not getting power from the battery but it must not be and is currently only retaining its settings because of what little power the PSU gives out when the system is off but not unplugged.
    Any ideas on waht to do and to look for besides damaged traces? (which I checked for and found none)

FYI, the board is my now infamous MSI 865PE-Neo2 Platinum.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: CMOS battery mystery

did you try replacing the battery? i know it says its good but might want to try anyway.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn
      did you try replacing the battery? i know it says its good but might want to try anyway.
      I think he already tried that: "even with a brand new and good CR2032 installed, the BIOS would say the settings were invalid and clear the CMOS"
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I'm assuming you have the clear CMOS jumper in the correct position..

Other than that, faulty southbridge/battery circuitry..

Might try pulling power cord , and the CMOS battery at the same time, to get a "hard" reset of CMOS memory, for 15 or 20 minutes, then put CMOS battery back in, and plug back in.. Reset all your settings, and try it again..

Comment

If its one of those bent-over-top battery connections, take the battery out, slightly bend the top spring down and try again. The current taken by the backup supply is so low that even the slightest bad connection can cause this fault. I know, I've had it before and its a right bugger to fix...

Comment

I'm assuming you have the clear CMOS jumper in the correct position..
            If that was set the system would not POST at all.

Can we assume bad battery circuitry? Is thre a way to fix something like that?

Originally posted by Harvey
            If its one of those bent-over-top battery connections, take the battery out, slightly bend the top spring down and try again. The current taken by the backup supply is so low that even the slightest bad connection can cause this fault. I know, I've had it before and its a right bugger to fix...
            You mean one of these?

I don't see why there would be a current draw fault if the system can see its voltage (though voltage and current are completely different).
            Find Nedry!

Comment

There are those that have a big clip that look like a bobby pin that go over the battery and are one lead, and at the same time they push down the battery onto the other.

They can get worn out, and you bios may be able to see the battery as good, but the voltage is intermittent.

Comment

You said it measured 3.01V. That's not a good battery. Should be 3.3V.

Comment

~3V should be enough to retain the settings.. Most boards have to have less than 2.5V to drop the settings.. Course it's dependant on the design of the motherboard circuitry. Remember that battery voltage either open or in-circuit can change a bit..

Have you tried the hard CMOS reset i described? I have an Abit board that that worked on, it would just drop it's CMOS settings, even with a good battery. Now i can leave it totally unplugged from an ATX psu, and it keeps its settings..

As for the circuitry, the implementations can vary. It'll be close by typically.. Usually you'll see at least a couple of diodes, resistors, etc.. Then again some southbridges may have the battery directly connected. Basically remember that the battery is only in use when the AC power is totally off, as in the PC is unplugged..

So if this computer is dropping the CMOS settings with the computer "off" but with the ATX PSU still supplying +5VSB (soft off), it's probably a dud southbridge.. Rare type of fault, but it happens..

Comment

Ok, i just went through my pdf archive, and it so happens i have a BX chipset motherboard schematic reference design, from Intel.. Shows Vbat from the soutbridge as being directly connected to the center pin of the CMOS jumper, with one pin going to ground, for when you set the jumper to "clear", and the other position connects Vbat to a simple circuit using schottkey diodes to have Vbat come from either the 2032, or 5VSB.. They're basically diode OR'd together, just like setting up current sharing for power supplies.. The diode network prevents the +5VSB from damaging the battery, and to prevent the battery discharging into the +5VSB when the ATX PSU is all the way off..

Here's the link to the BX reference schematic if you're interested in how the circuit works.. It's on the part of the schematic for the southdbridge.. Just look for the Vbat pin, and you'll find the rest..

Unfortunatly, Intel doesn't seem to have a reference schematic for an i865 reference design, which most motherboard manufacturer's follow at least somewhat when they design motherboards..

http://www.intel.com/design/archives.../440/index.htm

Luckily i almost never delete files off my hard drives, and that i remembered i had it..

The only difference i can think of between BX and i865 is that on an i865, the +5VSB is dropped into an LDO regulator, that drops it to 3.3V, hence they call it +3.3VSB instead.. Same purpose though, it's just a lower voltage because the later southbridges can't tolerate the direct +5VSB, it'll burn them out..
                    Last edited by gg1978; 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Yes, 3.0V. Those are what lithium cell coins are.

3.3V doesn't exist, that's for voltage supply of running chips. There are 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7 (Li Ion) but in wrong form factor.

Pentium, your lithium coin is GOOD by measured voltage. And I'll just refrain my comments on where you gotten that board. I'll just wait for you to come to realization some doing of things is fruitless.

I also advise you to trace the circuit on that mainboard and see if you can trace to the southbridge from that battery, you'll find some circuits and one 32KHz crystal (this is time keeping clock). Did time keep correct when unplugged from power cord and BIOS setting intact, say a 2 hours?

BTW, this 32KHz crystal is same type used in quart watches and quartz clocks.

Cheers, Wizard
                      Last edited by Wizard; 08-16-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Just thought of this.. Try a new jumper.. If the jumper isn't gripping the pins of the CMOS header tightly, a loose connection may be causing your issues..

Comment

Good point on jumper block. I salavage quality jumpers long way back when these jumpers were really the stuff of quality not like we have now found on everything.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

i like mobos with DIP switches. no jumpers to lose and if you need to add one when you have none available it really helps.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

nope, even after ten minutes the clock dies as well :/
                              so you are saying that if I run a line from the + in the battery clip to the center post on the CMOS reset jumper block, I can use that as an alternate route to keep the southbridge and thus the CMOS alive?
                              Sorry, I'm a little confused. I'm more used to pictures and the likes describing something. Lots of text just seems to confuse me at times.
                              also, no, I think the jumper is good. It's a snug fit onto the jumpers at least.
                              also, as a note, I can't really tear the system apart to look at traces. When my replacement ram comes in (that's another thread which we don't need to talk abou now) I'll tear the system apart and then I can look at whatever you want me to but until then...
                              Find Nedry!

Comment

Ah, my bad on the 3.3v battery. I always assumed that "3.3vsb" came from the battery, not from the 5v line on the PSU. Learn something new every day.

Comment

Check the battery with a DMM that has a battery test setting. Most batteries (especially coin cells) will continue to show close to full voltage when tested with an open circuit. The battery test meters place a small load on the battery while showing the voltage.

If you do not have a DMM with battery testing capabilities, one of the cheap analog meters can be used, they tend to have a lower input impedance. You can also use a 330 ohm resister across the cell while measuring the voltage with a DMM.

When I'm working on a system, I usually check the battery. Anything below 3V, I go ahead and replace, otherwise the machine will come back in with a dead battery within a few months.

Les

Comment

did you measure voltages with the machine off and power supply discharged? if not give it a hard reboot and dont flip back the power, then test. that way you are measuring the battery only.

never had this happen but i can only imagine...

now THAT is a s***ty computer!
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

All I can tell you is that my dells go queer when the CMOS battery gets weak and they start doing exactly what your PC is doing. Just for GP I'd change out the CMOS jumper its self and replace the battery and try again. I'd also take a real careful look in the case for anything that could be shorting the mobo to ground.
                                      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                      Rod Serling

Comment

Before this cell saw use in the current board, it saw temporary use in my older K7N2 Delta2 and it worked flawlessly. It held settings and held a charge both with the PSU energized and with the PSU discharged. I ahve also tried SEVERAL other CR2032 cells and unless they are all dead as well, the system is still clearing the CMOS when the PSU is discharged for any amount of time.
                                        Would it really be that painful just to solder in a line directly to the southbridge from the battery and bypass the existing trace?
                                        Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                                        X