X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mirror, mirror on the wall- which OS is the best of all

Originally posted by ratdude747
    yay no mac fans yet
    That's probably because KeriJane hasn't seen this vote yet. You just wait .

Comment

What no FreeBSD?
      Its perfect for servers. Superb performance with very low overhead.

Comment

i only had 10 slots

bsd types are "other"

if i had more slots then bsd/win 2k would have their own
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OS X is BSD + a flashy GUI.

Comment

I loved Win2K Pro and I used it till last year (7 fantastic years ) but unfortunately I had problems with some SW so I switched to XP HE.

I like Ubuntu but I have no time to learn it so I stay on M$ system.

Ciao
            Gianni
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

XP Pro is on most of my machines. I also use Vista, Win98SE, Win 2000 Server, and Slackware. Just got a 64/32 bit HP (gift) so I am considering tinkering with the 64 bit OS some.
              Why throw it away? I might need it in the next 40 years. Duh!

Comment

im surprised by the amount of win 2k and slackware fans here

ok, ok, ill confess, i love 2k too, with xp almost tied and ubuntu linux #1
                sigpic

Comment

Win2000 is being forced out by the number of main stream apps being written in higher version of .Net Framework.

Intuit (Quickbooks) is one.
                  Alldata (automotive service) is another.

This was quite clever of Microsoft.
                  Programmers too stupid/lazy to write to the Win32 API are embracing the .Net framework and its allure of managed (read: interpreted) code. Welcome to Interpreted Basic, full circle...

Microsoft elects to disallow the newer .Net code on Win2000... instant obsolescence.

I have no doubt they will do the same to force everybody off XP and onto Vista/Win7. Assholes.

Comment

This is my same reasons with moving from 2K to XP. For hardware drivers, software and programs compatibility is greater with XP.

Eventually, I'll get OSX on PC a try as well as most latest Linux. I'm glad for OO doing good and not having to pay big bucks where we'll barely use Office.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

hah.. that planned obsolescence sucks..

but for example, for GTA IV there's a "patch" written by some russian guy..

officially, the minimum is XP with SP3 (SP2 won't work.. game won't start, yelling at you to update to SP3)

with that patch, GTA IV works just fine on Win2k Pro SP4 + Update Rollup.. XP SP3 my ass, Rockstar Games

IMHO, Win2k = WinXP... only missing the..*ahem*.. "eyecandy"..

edit: lol @ still not a single vote for vista

Comment

Yes, support for Win2K is dwindling
                        This is why I now use Windows XP x64 and Windows 7

But you asked which is the best OS, not which one we use
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have no doubt they will do the same to force everybody off XP and onto Vista/Win7. Assholes.
                          And by that time people will move to Linux or Mac instead. Vista/Win7 offer nothing for corporate clients.

I've tried to give OSX for PC a try, I just don't have a compatible video card.

Comment

Call me a dumb arse but doesn't Win2k support the .Net framework 2.0 if you find and install the right patch at Mr. Bills place???
                            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                            Rod Serling

Comment

2.0 works... 3.x doesn't..

Comment

...and thats why i use linux...
                                sigpic

Comment

Which has no .net support whatsoever. Maybe mono but win2k supports that.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                    That's probably because KeriJane hasn't seen this vote yet. You just wait .

Ah HAH!

I found it!

And my favorite OS of the moment is: Mac OS!

I really wanted to like Linux, but I'm not smart enough to use it effectively.
                                    All of that having to unpack .rar or tar? or something? and then compile it.
                                    I tried all of that with Suse 9 and despite having a whole month to contemplate it, just couldn't manage it.
                                    I do like the advantages of Unix but lack the talent to effectively use Linux.

I view Mac OS as a "commercially acceptable" version of Unix/Linux that even a big dummy like me can figure out. All I have to do is pay Steve Jobs a little money and he does all of that hard stuff for me!
                                    He even sold me a really nice computer, too. Better than any I've built or would care to try building. (BTW, It's loaded with UCC)

Microsoft?
                                    No Thank You. While I like "Good 'ol XP" and all of the software choices it presents, it's just too vulnerable. Last one I put together got a Virus while DL'ing AVG! Not to mention all of the stuff that just goes wrong on its own... Ick. Vista is pretty, but that's it.
                                    And on top of all that, MS's Activation system just hollers: "Attention! You are a THIEF and I Do Not Trust YOU".

I would rather pay a local Linux Guru to get where I want to go than go back to Big Bill.
                                    But since I don't know any, I'll just pay Steve instead. I like his style.

Have Fun,
                                    Keri
                                    Last edited by KeriJane; 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM.
                                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

All of that having to unpack .rar or tar? or something? and then compile it.
                                      Ubuntu has a package manager. You check off what you want installed and apply changes. No compiling no mess.

What I DON'T like about linux is that apps and stuff go everywhere and its rather hard to tell what's running or where it went when you installed or compiled it. Yes hTop tells you a lot of that but it sux compared to something like process explorer on windows. You would think that after all of these years SOMEONE would come up with a decent GUI task manager.

Better than any I've built or would care to try building.
                                      Prettier and more expensive. But better is very subjective. You CAN build stuff that will eat your mac alive and run OS X.

Comment

my only complaint with mac is price and compatibility
                                        sigpic

Comment

oh, kerijane, the part about no vista fans still holds water...

at least i was half right
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X