Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2016 Operating System Thread

Originally posted by stj View Post
    the only version of windows to explode in your cd-rom drive!!!
    I have two commercial cd versions and about seven burned copies and none have exploded on me. Please elaborate.

Comment

i'm surprised you never read about it.
      there are a lot of disks with chipped or cracked hubs because of poor manufacturing.
      when you put them in a very fast drive the centrifugal force can rip the disk apart inside wih a bang!
      m$ changed the company pressing it's disc's afterwards.
      http://askbobrankin.com/exploding_cdroms.html

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        i'm surprised you never read about it.
        there are a lot of disks with chipped or cracked hubs because of poor manufacturing.
        when you put them in a very fast drive the centrifugal force can rip the disk apart inside wih a bang!
        m$ changed the company pressing it's disc's afterwards.
        http://askbobrankin.com/exploding_cdroms.html
        I limit my optical drives to 32x max. I know of some versions of AOL discs that would crack just looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
          I limit my optical drives to 32x max. I know of some versions of AOL discs that would crack just looking at them.
          Those were cracked from the beginning!
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

umm... if i wanted my system to be fully secure, i would just unplug the lan cable...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
              umm... if i wanted my system to be fully secure, i would just unplug the lan cable...
              umm... you missed the point, and explaining it to you would ruin the (inside) joke...
              Last edited by kaboom; 01-10-2016, 02:32 AM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I've had an exploding CD. Was about 15 years ago with my first PC.
                  I turned on the PC and Boom !! Big bang, rushed over, no smell of burning which thought strange, PC loaded the desktop and I opened the CD drawer, million of tiny pieces of silver flew out and covered my computer room.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    Stefan Payne: Worrying about what OS other people use seems kind of pointless, it's their choice no?
                    Also I posted the picture for a reason, the trend for XP is very evident, it's dropping like a dead fly...
                    Yeah, but still, 8.2% Windows XP users online...
                    That's almost one year after the support of that OS ran out...

And I wonder how many of those installations are unpatched...
                    Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Do you think security updates fix EVERYTHING?
                    No, but they fix known security holes.
                    Without those, these holes stay open forever...
                    And so a Windows XP computer is a welcomed target...

... because Windows Vista and 7 are impeccable fortresses. Just don't ask me how many of those systems I've seen hosed by stupid viruses and malware. It's the exact same "piece of shit" as the XP days. With a "pretty" GUI, though.
                    No, but they were developed with security in mind.
                    Windows 2000 and XP were not. THus they are as insecure as it gets...

As for the viruses and malware you've seen on the newer Windows machines:
                    How much of them got onto it due to the user installing them??
                    That's the main cause of infection on newer Windows machines!
                    You send them an email and hope that the user clicks on it. Or something like that...

You know of Stuxnet? And you know how it got into the systems?
                    And that the exploit used for newer Windows is much more complicated...

The worst thing is the exploit industry caused by those damn intelligence agencys buying those for stupid amounts of money...

Because it does the exact same shit that newer OSes do - at least for the things I use it for.
                    Why use such an old and shitty Windows instead of Linux?!
                    Linux Mint or Zorin OS are pretty decent, so why not try it and live with it?
                    Last edited by Stefan Payne; 01-10-2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Excuse me, when exactly you fell for the MS propaganda that an OS without security updates is insecure? Nearly every single laptop/desktop that I have fixed/reinstalled Windows had adware / spyware installed with the user's permission. Either they tried to download a torrent and ended up downloading and installing an .exe or they chose typical installation when installing a software bundle that came with spyware/adware.

Same thing goes with viruses. There are many incidents that an infected file was successfully recognized by the antivirus software but the user selected "Allow" or "Add to exceptions".

It is so strange to find people in this forum claiming that security updates are critical and that if you don't install them your computer will get infected automatically. This is proof that most of you just believe what you read online and have no experience of tech support.

Sad
                      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-10-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

Why use such an old and shitty Windows instead of Linux?!
                        Linux Mint or Zorin OS are pretty decent, so why not try it and live with it?
                        I bet that you have not used Linux for a very long time. Linux is not lightweight for a couple of years. Just try to install it on computers with 512MB ram and see what happens.

Lubuntu, puppy etc are decent, but none of them can compete Windows XP SP2 or SP3. Xp can be installed even on a 192MB SDRAM laptop and work without a problem! I have done this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                          Excuse me, when exactly you fell for the MS propaganda that an OS without security updates is insecure? Nearly every single laptop/desktop that I have fixed/reinstalled Windows had adware / spyware installed with the user's permission. Either they tried to download a torrent and ended up downloading and installing an .exe or they chose typical installation when installing a software bundle that came with spyware/adware.

Same thing goes with viruses. There are many incidents that an infected file was successfully recognized by the antivirus software but the user selected "Allow" or "Add to exceptions".

It is so strange to find people in this forum claiming that security updates are critical and that if you don't install them your computer will get infected automatically. This is proof that most of you just believe what you read online and have no experience of tech support.

Sad
                          No, 15 years of tech support/IT administration.
                          Yes, those in IT know the importance of patching. In fact it's a good way to sort the pros from the others. It's not Microsoft propaganda, it's the advice of every IT professional in the land.

There are plenty of lightweight Linux versions.
                          There really is no need for XP to be online.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                            I bet that you have not used Linux for a very long time. Linux is not lightweight for a couple of years. Just try to install it on computers with 512MB ram and see what happens.
                            Tried that a couple of months ago, there are some lightweight distributions.

Like Zorin OS Lite:
                            http://zorinos.com/faq.html
                            Used that on a Pentium 4 Laptop with 256MiB RAM, works decent.

Maybe
                            http://lxle.net
                            But I haven't tried that...

Linux Mint isn't a great option for that.
                            As for Ubuntu: I hate that user interface thing from them.

Comment

There are lightweight versions of Mint too.

Comment

If it is about resources usage, try Manjaro BSPWM.
                                It's tiny and uses almost o memory.

Though it looks kinda hardcorish

Comment

the best light install is Vector
                                  http://www.vectorlinux.com/

Comment

I have been very happy with Lubuntu 14.04 which is faster than XP on any of my hardware. The only issue I've had with it is on a Dell laptop and it not supporting the correct full screen resolution. It fills the screen with the correct background at correct aspect ratio but doesn't utilize the entire screen, i.e. a full-screen window doesn't fill the entire monitor screen. Performance wise it kicks XPs ass.

Comment

Well, I cycled out the HDD's in my home rig, they were 7yrs old and running 24/7/365. Replaced them with 4x 15k SAS drives in a RAID10, the supermicro SAS enclosure makes that so easy!! I did not reinstall S2K8 on this system, all I use this monstrosity (12 cores, 96gb RAM, GTX 560) for is web browsing and playing D2 with my wife. Put Win7 pro on it. A few tweaks & hacks + classic shell + aero, yea....totally works.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        all I use this monstrosity (12 cores, 96gb RAM, GTX 560) for is web browsing and playing D2 with my wife. Put Win7 pro on it. A few tweaks & hacks + classic shell + aero, yea....totally works.
                                        You sure that's enough RAM for Diablo II?

Oh, and check this out:
                                        https://www.techspot.com/news/64078-...o-2-patch.html
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                          You sure that's enough RAM for Diablo II?

Haha, with 96 GB you can probably load the entire game file contents in memory several times over and still have some memory left for daily tasks.

Or perhaps he made a typo and meant to say he has only 96 MB

Comment

Working...
                                          X