Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Those novabench results were not on the opteron system, they are the results of my current office machine, which is a dual quadcore xeon. I never did novabench the opti box before I dismantled it....I guess I should have.
    Umm...

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Topcat did a Novabench run on his current setup awhile back:

Too bad it wasn't the previous system, as it used the same board and all.
    I know dude, I know.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
      kk, lotsa luck, wiseass.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        ^
        kk, lotsa luck, wiseass.
        I was just using it as a comparison point. My whole "wish it was the previous system" comment was about having a better comparison point...

I hate miscommunictions
        sigpic

Comment

Granted I'm watching Netflix in HD at the same time and also have about a billion programs open but...
          Attached Files

Comment

I was just using it as a comparison point. My whole "wish it was the previous system" comment was about having a better comparison point...

I hate miscommunictions
            I didn't catch the last line actually.....its all good man.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

decided to furmark it... and when the GPU's got to 100C, I killed furmark.

Uh oh...

When I redid the heatsinks, I used this for the GPU die:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...oductId=154389

I take it that's not good enough... What is suggested to fix this?
              sigpic

Comment

Furmark pushes a GPU to it's absolute limits. What cooler is on the card? I use to have an 8600GT with the dinky stock cooler. Heated up like crazy. Put on a big ol' cooler and it never got over 40C after that.
                Last edited by 370forlife; 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah Furmark pushes them pretty hard. Were the fans actually at 100% or were they lower? I've seen some stupid video cards that even when getting up to 90C+ only went to 80-90% fan speed

Comment

decided to furmark it... and when the GPU's got to 100C, I killed furmark.

Uh oh...

When I redid the heatsinks, I used this for the GPU die:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...oductId=154389

I take it that's not good enough... What is suggested to fix this?
                    If you are talking about TIM, I use ArcticSilver Ceramique. Never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                      Furmark pushes a GPU to it's absolute limits. What cooler is on the card? I use to have an 8600GT with the dinky stock cooler. Heated up like crazy. Put on a big ol' cooler and it never got over 40C after that.
                      Stock cooler for an 8600GTS (it's a bit bigger than a GT IIRC). My only worry about swapping is that if you look, there is only one slot of space between GPUs. Kinda tight.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      Yeah Furmark pushes them pretty hard. Were the fans actually at 100% or were they lower? I've seen some stupid video cards that even when getting up to 90C+ only went to 80-90% fan speed
                      100% @ 90C or so.

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                      If you are talking about TIM, I use ArcticSilver Ceramique. Never had a problem.
                      I heard ceramique was junk and AS5 was a better choice... but I'm open to ideas.
                      sigpic

Comment

AS5 is a bit old at this point but still excellent and it seems to have come down in price a tiny bit.

The differences between all of the really good pastes including AS5 are like 1-3C so just find one you like an use it AS5 would be my recommendation that said.

Comment

Done some looking, not as sold on AS5... there's some 200 hour burn-in period on that stuff, and that's almost a deal breaker, as the tests I've read show it's not bad (but far from the best) when fresh.

This stuff any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835426020
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't know, looks like generic paste to me. If it was any good, it would list the specs on it.
                            The gelid site lists it as 8.5W/mK which isn't anything special.

Look for pastes that have better thermal conductivity, for example the Prolimatech pastes are advertised at 10.2w/mK
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835242024

But then again, Tuniq TX-4 is recommended by a lot of sites as a good general paste and it's only rated as 6.3w/mK.

It makes a lot of difference how thin the paste is applied and so on...

Comment

Done some looking, not as sold on AS5... there's some 200 hour burn-in period on that stuff, and that's almost a deal breaker, as the tests I've read show it's not bad (but far from the best) when fresh.

This stuff any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835426020
                              All TIMs have some burn-in period, whether from 5 minutes to 5 days. The microscopic gaps need time to get filled in at normal conditions. You should read some NASA or Mil-Standard Qualification data sheets for further understanding.

Comment

I always use AS5, and it seems to do great.

As far as the furmark temps, I once did it to a passive 8500GT with a somewhat small heatsink (Thanks ASUS!). It maxed out at 105*C. You could just about cook eggs on it at that temp.
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 08-13-2013, 12:27 AM.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                  All TIMs have some burn-in period, whether from 5 minutes to 5 days. The microscopic gaps need time to get filled in at normal conditions. You should read some NASA or Mil-Standard Qualification data sheets for further understanding.
                                  I see.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I remember one company that had a warning on every model of paste they made saying that it must be reapplied every 12 months. I can't remember what brand that was now, and I don't see any that has that warning now.

I never had good luck with Ceramique. It worked fine for a year, and then the temperatures started increasing. I'd rather not take the heatsink off that often.

Comment

Use whatever the OEMs (HP, Dell, eMachines/Acer/Gateway, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc) use because most people run their ten year old PCs and have never reapplied the TIM nor even know what the heck it is LOL...

Alright, maybe I'm kidding, a little bit, maybe not?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                        I remember one company that had a warning on every model of paste they made saying that it must be reapplied every 12 months. I can't remember what brand that was now, and I don't see any that has that warning now.

I never had good luck with Ceramique. It worked fine for a year, and then the temperatures started increasing. I'd rather not take the heatsink off that often.
                                        I am using a computer right now that has Ceramique in use with a Athlon XP 2600+ used every day almost 24/7 for over a year now and no temp problems at all in that time. Do you clean out the dust bunnies often?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                          I'm not surprised if it's the run-of-the-mill white stuff!
                                          Unfortunately, the RadioShack stuff likes to fade away after some months of use.

Took socket 462 heatsinks off more than once, IIRC, to see it disappeared from the Athlon!

No such bull with Arctic Silver 5.
                                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X