Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do u think that hardware repair will dissapear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do u think that hardware repair will dissapear?

I've been repairing hardware since 1999, now I see the very soon desktop based pcs will be replaced by Smart TVs and tablets using Cloud Computing, (like old mainframes dull consoles connected to the Iron). So who is gonna pay my bills? , these little things are so embed, self-contained, cant be fixed, just buy a new one.

It's time to look for other job? , im getting old.
    I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Re: Do u think that hardware repair will dissapear?

Will it ever disappear? No. Like old fashion plastering though, component level repair will become a lost art....but it'll never disappear. If you're clever enough, there's always a way to make a living at it.

In the consumer world, yes....most of the stuff is simply throw-away garbage....but the IT and industrial fields are a whole other kettle of repairable fish!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Will it ever disappear? No. Like old fashion plastering though, component level repair will become a lost art....but it'll never disappear. If you're clever enough, there's always a way to make a living at it.

In the consumer world, yes....most of the stuff is simply throw-away garbage....but the IT and industrial fields are a whole other kettle of repairable fish!
      Yep, it'll be a lost art, i'm sure. By the way, I'm from South American, and even here, throw-away garbage is the norm. Technology is so much cheap today. I am NOT talking here about Planned obsolescence, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence , that is LOGICAL. I'm talking about you cannot fix at component level an Smart Tv or Ipad3, i dunno if it could be done.
      Re-Balling Xboxs was the last bubble.
      I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

Originally posted by Calchaqui View Post
        Re-Balling Xboxs was the last bubble.
        Monitors and TV's are common repairables now days.
        I don't see that going away as long as they are still using cheap Chinese lytics in the SMPS in those.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

The problem I find with LCD TVs and Monitors is that, because they're low-cost, people tend to discard them instead of fixing them. If I can't find the broken ones before they're out for trash, I don't have anything to fix!

I'm not allowed to scrounge at the local recycling center anymore, either, because every device I take out costs them money. So stuff that I could easily fix and put back into service are going to be scrapped.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
            I'm not allowed to scrounge at the local recycling center anymore, either, because every device I take out costs them money. So stuff that I could easily fix and put back into service are going to be scrapped.
            What are they going to make scrapping? $2 maybe.
            Give them $5. It's win-win.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

My 2 cents: Tablets are a fad like PDAs/netbooks. Cloud computing and storage is not going to take over any time soon, I personally like the idea of being able to access my data from any device but I don't trust any of the current offerings with anything important or private. Thin clients like wyse terms sound good but they suck and almost every one we rolled out ( about 500 ) were replaced with PCs shorty after due to user outrage. As long as the economy stays in the crapper I think there will be a healthy market for component level repair. The local eWaste companys in my town are happy to sell me stuff they would scrap. I offer them 2X what they would get for it by scrapping and they get the added bonus of not having to tear it down.

Comment

I know that the TV repair business isn't very good in some areas because it takes less time to go to Wal-Mart and buy a new TV than it does to repair one if parts need to be ordered. Some people want to be watching TV again as quickly as possible.

I don't think that TVs and monitors are very inexpensive. I will repair my electronics until they are too old to use (like my laptop) or a part that is impossible to find fails. It is cheaper to do that.

Comment

Working...
                X