Is it possible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible...

Is it possible to substitute a female 4-PIn molex for a female 3-PIn molex on any mobo particularly IBM? I know the 3-PIn (black, red, yellow) is all volts\ground but I forgot what the 4th pin purpose was(Commonly with the orange cable as the last on either side of the in-line) Is it manipulated to reduce\increase speed when referring to a fan? Just replacing a couple of 60x20mm assembly fans for a IBM thinkcentre 8183. I'm pretty sure the orange wire is not important. Thanks.
    Last edited by backtrack; 12-04-2010, 10:18 PM. Reason: More detail.
    they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Re: Is it possible...

Well orange generally denotes 3.3v, I'm sure it does something...

Comment

Originally posted by backtrack View Post
      forgot what the 4th pin purpose was(Commonly with the orange cable as the last on either side of the in-line) Is it manipulated to reduce\increase speed when referring to a fan?
      If you mean small fan connectors that fourth pin/wire is for PWM control signal for speed control chip integrated into fan itself.
      In normal/older three pin fan connector third pin is for RPM signal

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/..._Fan_Connector

Comment

Standard 4-pin Molex [type for drives] is Red, Black, Black, Yellow.
        +5v, ground, ground, +12v.

Standard 3-pin fan connectors are +12v, ground, tach [not in that order]
        Standard 4-pin fan connectors are +12v, ground, tach, PWM [not in that order]
        Tach is for RPM monitoring.
        PWM is for Speed Control.

But, IBM & HP [and old Dell] tend to have some non-standard pin arrangements mixed in with standard so be careful.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

So the orange cable was the PWM. Was successful with substituting the Superred 26K1253 with the female 4PIn molex for the female 3PIn molex. Was only able to buy a 4PIn rather then a 3PIn. The 3PIn models are hard to find. I came to the conclusion that PWM is not important unless you want the ability to control the available rpm rate of fans. I did some experimenting on a different IBM mobo and the PWM is not required for normal operation. The PWM is the only cable that is not connected. The rest of the three are connected and the fan is functioning quite well. They both are brand new OEM.
          they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

You posts are confusing because (although molex does make some as well as numerous other 'non-molex' connectors) fan headers are not called molex, they are called IDC.

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/..._Fan_Connector

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X