Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterfeit Nichicons

Hi guys,

I'm currently using two types of Nichicon capacitors in one of my projects, both of the PW(M) series.
    One is the 680 uF 63V version, the other one is the 1000 uF 63V version.

I'm seeing quite some difference between the both: the 680 uF one has a black sleeve, a flat bottom and an odd date code (3058). The 1000 uF one has a dark brown sleeve, a bottom with a standoff implemented and a date code that makes sense (0812 - week 12 of 2008).

So I'm guessing the 680 uF are fakes ?

Thanks for your opinions !

Re: Counterfeit Nichicons

post some pics.

Comment

Here are some pictures.
      The first three are the suspected fake ones. The last three seem to be OK.
      Attached Files

Comment

The 63V 680uF are definitely fakes, you can tell right away by looking at the bung. The other ones look legit.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

lol at that fake cap with the cheapo circle bung.
          according to the datecode, it's either 70years old or from the future (2030)
          plus... week 58..?

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
            lol at that fake cap with the cheapo circle bung.
            according to the datecode, it's either 70years old or from the future (2030)
            plus... week 58..?
            Nicely spotted!

Comment

Very funny guys ... :-).

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I was 95 % certain they were fakes, now it's 99.99 %

Comment

yes poor fakes at that!
                the bullseye bungs are the dead giveaway.

Comment

or somebody had a time machine...

FAKE!
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I can't stop laughing at that 3058 date code.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

datecodes can be wrong... do the little warehouse guys performing tasks on the machine even speak english??

trust me, warehouse people generally dont care if they get anything done correctly

and if they were intentionally faking it, they would tend to care even less!

Comment

Originally posted by blowing_in_the_watts
                        datecodes can be wrong... do the little warehouse guys performing tasks on the machine even speak english??

trust me, warehouse people generally dont care if they get anything done correctly

and if they were intentionally faking it, they would tend to care even less!
                        i'm sure they computerize their datecodes...just like all things they print on the sleeves. so, bad code= fake. rarely do computer make mistakes and the mistakes go unnoticed...
                        sigpic

Comment

darn edit limit...

anyway, the code 3058 seems to be a common fake code, iirc some probable ebay fakes mentioned elsewhere had that EXACT same code... i bet the fakes are from the same counterfeit factory...
                          sigpic

Comment

lets just say this.. wrong date code means made it through many bad quality control checks meaning you dont want them anyways because that just proves that the quality control sucks.. most, if not all caps made in japan would not let anything remotely this bad through.. China would.. China dont care.. so bad date code definitely means fakes if they are a Japanese brand..

i think that should be enough said..

Comment

Working...
                            X