Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I replace 2.5v 820uf fake polymers with Sanyo WG 6.3v 1000uf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I replace 2.5v 820uf fake polymers with Sanyo WG 6.3v 1000uf?

Could I replace 2.5v 820uf fake polymers with Sanyo WG 6.3v 1000uf? They are both 8mm in width.

Edit: there are some 4v 560uf too.
    Last edited by corliq; 03-10-2010, 05:34 AM.

Re: Could I replace 2.5v 820uf fake polymers with Sanyo WG 6.3v 1000uf?

Fake polymers? Specifics and pics please.

Up or down in uF within 20% is -usually- okay. Depends on circuit. I tend to prefer a higher value.

Up in voltage is not a problem.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I would agree with Toasty for larger "filter" caps. Just be careful when you are looking at smaller caps < 500uf and especially < 250uf. Sometimes these are used in conjunction with a crystal oscillator and really need to be the exact value (at least in uf, but going up in voltage is okay) for the circuits to work properly.

If the cap is close to a crystal or crystal oscillator circuit (small silver or chrome cans) I always use the exact same value to make sure there are no problems.

This is both on motherboards, video boards, and LCD monitor video boards. Power supplies and other "filter" areas are much less picky.

I also do one other thing different when replacing power supply caps. Sometimes I can physically fit a smaller number of larger valued caps in a circuit, like 3 * 2200 uf or 3300 uf caps where five or six 1000uf caps would go. You just have to make sure you know what circuits the caps are on.

I think that's a good thing to do, however I always add a smaller cap (470uf or 220uf) when I do that to help ease away the smaller ripples that the bigger ones miss.

It has more to do with my stock on hand and what seems right for the area involved and the circuit.
      Last edited by chipinnc; 06-20-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Huch?
        Capacitors used in crystal oscillators are in the range of 5 to 30pF. Thats small ceramic capacitors, these also come with closer tolerances.
        Electrolytics never ae used as part of an oscillator circuit, only for power supply bypassing, where their value isnt so critical (after all, with +-20% tolerance, it cannot be).

Comment

Working...
        X