Shuttle SS56G Capacitor Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle SS56G Capacitor Issue?

Folks, I would sure appreciate your input on what I suspect is a bad cap issue that is preventing several (three) Shuttle SS56G v3.1 boards from posting. The systems have been brought to me over the past six months, more than coincidence. It was the Dell GX280 that brought me here many months ago, but now I suspect that the third capacitor pictured in the attached file is producing strange BIOS post activity, to wit: the system will not boot at all, it will boot part way through the BIOS intro but not complete, the system will shut down only if the power button is held for several seconds. Swapping known-good RAM produces different results.

All three boards sport the same slightly bulging capacitor. A new board delivered by Shuttle does not, of course, reveal any capacitor issues. The only visible difference between the boards is the ONE capacitor, which has the following markings:

LZ 105* C
    502D(M)
    1000uf 10v
    G*LUXON

That's a "degree" symbol after the 105 and a "bullet" mark on line four.

So if I attempt a recap of this one capacitor, would this be enough to remedy the problem? Should I replace all three? Most importantly, has anyone seen this problem with this board? Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    Attached Files

Re: Shuttle SS56G Capacitor Issue?

G-Luxons are well-known crap caps. They should be replaced, but various other crap-caps (notably 'Gloria'), used by Shuttle in the past, should also be replaced. Post a list of all the caps above 100uF on the board for further info.

Edit: Check the PSU also for bad caps, in particular Fuhjyyu.
    Last edited by linuxguru; 10-21-2008, 11:49 PM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

the test for any g-luxon cap is to touch it and say "its bad"
      cant tell much but that one may be on vcore.
      a recap may very well fix it.
      and definately check the psu.wou will need to recap it anyway.
      these shoebox pc's often need a recap in both areas after only a year.
      i bet topcat has a kit for these.

Comment

Thanks for that, fellas. And dang!, another Shuttle (SS59G) arrived today with the same issue. I will post back with more details when I get a chance to give the machine a thorough accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkdt
          Thanks for that, fellas. And dang!, another Shuttle (SS59G) arrived today with the same issue. I will post back with more details when I get a chance to give the machine a thorough accounting.
          i just went through a ss59g 2.0
          all the ost and g-luxon were bulging/leaking.
          i recapped the psu just for pm.
          previous owner said it would post about 1 in 10 tries and then with video artifacts.
          its solid now.
          btw i used fujitsu re 820@2.5v polys on vrm out.
          i filled the holes between the inductors too.

Comment

Well, the board count is at five now. I'd like to take a crack at recapping these, any equipment recommendations regarding a soldering iron and desoldering tool for under $200?

Comment

Working...
            X