Bad Capacitors Heat Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Capacitors Heat Up?

Hi. I was wondering if a sign of a bad capacitor is when it begins to heat up.

Re: Bad Capacitors Heat Up?

It heats up because the ESR has gone high or maybe because the capacitance is too small (hence high ripple causes heating). Where is this capacitor?

Comment

I have a brand new Panasonic cordless phone that was not working from the box. The adaptor that came with it heats up too much and the base heats up too without charging the handset. When I poped open the base I noticed that two of the capacitors are hot and later on after posting I noticed a discolored resistor. Not sure now if the caps are the problem or the resistor. The worst part is that Panasonic wont replace the unit b/c I don't have a receipt.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CapacitorUser; 10-16-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Maybe if you get the schematic diagram, you can trace the problem. What's the exact model number of that phone? Measure the output voltage of the adaptor to see if it's working correctly or try another one if you don't have a voltmeter.

Comment

Those look like dry solder joints (or there's just to much solder on them) which don't make an good connection to the PCB. I would add new solder to those pads.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X