Recapping for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping for the first time

I am going to order a recapping kit for my VP6 and finally get to using this thing. But, I don't want to ruin this board in the process. Is recapping as hard as it sounds? I can get a few old motherboards I can practice on (maybe unsolder some caps from two motherboards of the same uf and voltage, and switch them around....) idk, get some practice in and see if i'm any good at it. I have a friend that can do it, he won't charge me, but I want to get good at doing it myself.

Re: Recapping for the first time

yes practice on trash till you get good at it.
    the vp6 is not difficult to recap.
    easy for me to say after doing several hundred ;-)

Comment

definitely practice.
      add new solder to the existing before you remove the caps or you are going nowhere fast
      use a 60-80w iron with chisel tip 450oC.

the most important part is to be comfortable. damages happen when you are not paying attention and the iron slips or you are tired or you rush cos you are finishing
      if you are getting nowhere with the removal or clearing the holes then you should modify the technique. dont persist with the same technique until your hand is tired because the board is now dead probably

be careful of traces right next to the cap hole. that is where you dont want to heat for looong time.

if you are clearing with a needle and getting nowhere then add solder to the other side and try there too.

your first board would be a day job for the weekend not when a few hours are remaining in the evening.

its not difficult. older boards are easiest
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

its not difficult. older boards are easiest
        agree on that..
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Absolutely..old boards are very nice to recap...

Also as willa says, add a gob of solder before you attempt to remove the cap or you will have a nice burn on the PCB.
          Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
          Zippy GSM-6600P
          Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
          Abit IP35Pro
          ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
            Also as willa says, add a gob of solder before you attempt to remove the cap or you will have a nice burn on the PCB.
            Agree!

Also, working on an older motherboard is much easier than the newer ones. My soldering iron's tip is a 375c tip, which isn't hot enough for the newer motherboards. On an older motherboard, with a little patience and time I can recap it. On a newer motherboard (P4 and newer), it is almost impossible for me to recap it without getting something totally messed up, to the point that I have to put out my drill to drill through the holes.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Working...
            X