Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CapXon "opened can"

Hi all,

I took open a CapXon from a crappy "TT 300W" power supply. I decided to replace the two on the board as they were a bit warm even after the power was unplugged.

The cap pictured was a 330uF 200WV, soldered on the primary side.

Apart from the off-colour innards, there's a very distinct and disgusting smell, evident only upon close "whiffing".

Not to mention they were only measuring ~242uF. Since I don't have an ESR meter, and based on other's experiences, i can safely conclude that they are crap capacitors.
    Attached Files

Re: CapXon "opened can"

Originally posted by BlakeW
    Apart from the off-colour innards, there's a very distinct and disgusting smell, evident only upon close "whiffing".
    they all smell pretty bad. look for dryness and maybe burn marks on paper. although its not such a great test, can only spot the really shit ones that way.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I have a bunch of those "TT" brand 400W PSUs here. They are made by DEER, but I can see that yours came with Capxon caps on the primary inputs side. I have "Saturn" logo branded 470uf 200V caps in mine. I've recapped my secondary side of the PSU with Panasonics, Hitanos and Sanyos. I use my crappy "TT" (thermaltake imitation) branded PSU for testing purposes only.

Otherwise, nice find BlakeW with the Capxon capacitor.

Thanks.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Heh, the paper inside certainly doesn't look healthy... and btw apologies for the image quality, that's the closest i could get before the poor focusing of my camera made it blurry =/

EDIT: I just got the roll out of the can, and it looks like it's held together by sticky tape

will post more pics tomorrow.
        Last edited by BlakeW; 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM. Reason: just pulled paper roll out

Comment

Working...
        X