What brand are these Asus caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand are these Asus caps?

I got an Asus M5a97 Revision 2.0 a few weeks ago and I was curious what brand these caps are, I heard something about Asus using crappy capacitors on their motherboards.
    Does anyone know what brand they are, do I need to recap them, and if I don't will they last a good amount of time?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KKvantas; 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM.

Re: What brand are these Asus caps?

The brand is Apaq : http://www.apaq.com.tw/eng_index.asp

They're polymer capacitors and imho they're OK... wouldn't say in the same class as Japanese polymer capacitors but they're not shit.

I would NOT replace them.

ps. That particular capacitor is probably AP-CON-AR5K series, 5000h@105c :

http://www.apaq.com.tw/eng_products_...o=201301040001

Datasheet:
    Last edited by mariushm; 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I always try to avoid boards that use them, and this is why...

It drives me up the wall that Gigabyte are now using them in all of their new budget boards.

That said, though I wouldn't worry about recapping the board just yet. They might just be OK for a while if the VRM is well designed
      Attached Files
      Last edited by c_hegge; 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        I always try to avoid boards that use them, and this is why...

It drives me up the wall that Gigabyte are now using them in all of their new budget boards.

That said, though I wouldn't worry about recapping the board just yet. They might just be OK for a while if the VRM is well designed
        What do you mean by "yet"? How do I know when I should replace them?
        I don't know if this is what you mean by a well designed VRM but the heatsink for it looks like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          The brand is Apaq : http://www.apaq.com.tw/eng_index.asp

They're polymer capacitors and imho they're OK... wouldn't say in the same class as Japanese polymer capacitors but they're not shit.

I would NOT replace them.

ps. That particular capacitor is probably AP-CON-AR5K series, 5000h@105c :

http://www.apaq.com.tw/eng_products_...o=201301040001

Datasheet:
          Are they on par or better than Teapo? I had a shitty power supply I got for my PC before I got smarter about computer parts (30 dollar Rosewill, Solytech OEM supposedly rated at 500 watts) with Teapo primaries and it blew up in a week, thankfully it didn't take any other components with it

Comment

They would be better than Teapo electrolytics. What I meant was just see how it goes. It may very well do fine for the next 3-4 years. If they fail, you're gonna hear it.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by KKvantas View Post
              Solytech [...] blew up in a week
              Not surprising.

How do Samxon polymers compare to these?

Comment

I don't have a problem at all with Samxon polies. I've never heard any reports of them failing or exploding. I'd rate them as being much better than Apaq.

Comment

This PSU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182044 Not horrible, but extremely overpriced. Probably in the 300-400W range.

I think Apaq polys are mid range. I would rather have japanese lytics though, because then you can see when (or if..) they fail

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    This PSU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182044 Not horrible, but extremely overpriced. Probably in the 300-400W range.

I think Apaq polys are mid range. I would rather have japanese lytics though, because then you can see when (or if..) they fail
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182076
                    This one. I didn't know anything about them at the time, there were also these green, unburst caps in them labeled "ANODIA"
                    I love the reviews for them, what is "it works good" even supposed to mean?
                    Last edited by KKvantas; 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I bet you it's the same internally as the Allied AL-D500EXP, so probably a generous 400W PSU. Anodia are probably on the primary which is fine, the rest are probably YC, they do okay for a few years unless they get really hot. Maybe the switchers blew, what are the full specs of your rig?

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        I don't have a problem at all with Samxon polies. I've never heard any reports of them failing or exploding. I'd rate them as being much better than Apaq.
                        Never had any problems so far with them... Have sold quite a few motherboards with them. They might be on par with Japanese polys.

I will not touch boards with Apaq caps. Even if they're not in the VRM... Have had to send back an Asus P67 board all Apaq. Identical model replacement came back with all FPCap polys in both VRM high and low IIRC, and a mix of FPCap and Apaq scattered throughout the rest of the board.

Anyone have any information on Lelon OCRZ polys? Have seen them being used quite a bit lately.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I think there was one thread here where a user reported failed Lelon polies. He didn't provide any photos, though, nor did he specify how he knew they had failed.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            Never had any problems so far with them... Have sold quite a few motherboards with them. They might be on par with Japanese polys.

I will not touch boards with Apaq caps. Even if they're not in the VRM... Have had to send back an Asus P67 board all Apaq. Identical model replacement came back with all FPCap polys in both VRM high and low IIRC, and a mix of FPCap and Apaq scattered throughout the rest of the board.

Anyone have any information on Lelon OCRZ polys? Have seen them being used quite a bit lately.
                            Uh, should I send my motherboard back? Will they just send it back with better capacitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                              I bet you it's the same internally as the Allied AL-D500EXP, so probably a generous 400W PSU. Anodia are probably on the primary which is fine, the rest are probably YC, they do okay for a few years unless they get really hot. Maybe the switchers blew, what are the full specs of your rig?
                              Asus m5a97
                              8GB 1333 MHZ ram
                              Athlon II X3 450 overclocked to 3.5, upgrading to a FX-6300 which will stay at stock clocks
                              Radeon HD 6570(upgrading to 7770)
                              2 hard drives
                              3 case fans
                              I upgraded to a Rosewill Capstone 450W, which is actually made by Super Flower which is a good OEM as far as I know, it has Chemi-Con primaries.
                              Last edited by KKvantas; 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Uh, should I send my motherboard back? Will they just send it back with better capacitors?
                                Why would you even think that?

You only have the opinion of ONE person who may have bought a motherboard that had some issues that may have been totally unrelated to the capacitors.

Polymer capacitors are not as problematic as electrolytic capacitors, just let it go and use the motherboard normally.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                  Why would you even think that?

You only have the opinion of ONE person who may have bought a motherboard that had some issues that may have been totally unrelated to the capacitors.

Polymer capacitors are not as problematic as electrolytic capacitors, just let it go and use the motherboard normally.
                                  Okay, great
                                  I'm sorry if I sound paranoid about the quality of electronic components, I've had LOTS of problems caused by bad capacitors/shorts in the past and I get wary when I hear more than one bad thing.
                                  Speaking of bad choices in power supplies, I almost bought this for my first build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

My favorite review is the guy who said "Apevia is a name brand that can be trusted pretty well".
                                  Last edited by KKvantas; 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Yea, don't send it back if it's working... The symptom in my case was completely dead SATA ports... And the model was a CSM so I got a pretty quick replacement (Not to mention that the Asus warranty depot is not too far from me so I didn't have to ship it)...
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                    X