Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lcs-8038tx

Hello everyone!

This is my first time to post on Badcaps Forums, so I apologize if I say something ridiculous.

Anyway, as the title says, I have got a Longshine LCS-8038TX ver.M1 LAN card from a friend of mine. The problem is that it isn't identified on my PC as a network device, and the LEDs on it blink hopelessly.

In the picture you will see (hopefully) that capacitor C1 is missing. Could it be the culprit?

TIA,
    zynix
    Attached Files

Re: Lcs-8038tx

Most likely

The picture of a LCS-8038TX in the attached PDF does seem to have a capacitor in that place

Even though yours has a Macronix chipset, and not an Intel like the specification says, the capacitor is probably still necessary
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Yes you have a missing cap.
      The design is to use either radial or SMD in every spot.
      The spot you are worried about has the legs from a missing radial still on the board.
      Attached Files
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        Yes you have a missing cap.
        The design is to use either radial or SMD in every spot.
        The spot you are worried about has the legs from a missing radial still on the board.
        So, I popping in a 10uF 25V cap (that are the specs of other caps on the board) should solve the problem?

Comment

you can pick up trashed computers in dumpsters with nics in them, I have a few dozen lying around. if your'e really willing to go this far for a crappy nic, then make sure you put it in with the right polarization.
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by zynix View Post
            So, I popping in a 10uF 25V cap (that are the specs of other caps on the board) should solve the problem?
            Can't tell you that for sure. I dunno what was there.
            - Often cards like that only have one size cap but that is absolutely not 'always' the case.
            Chances are that will work but no guarantees..

As Uranium-235 said, replacement NICs are readily available and cheap [or even free].

Fix or replace would depend on what your priorities are.
            If repairing this is a learning experience then go for it, if the system is important for whatever reason then replacing it might be better.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

when I worked for goodwill CW, I ran by so many tttouusssaaanndds of nics I kept throwing them away in droves. go through any old computers you have lying around, chances you will find one

but yeah if this is for experience reasons, then good luck, smd soldering is hard if you don't have the right equipment and you have a big lack of experience. having ether or is ok, but if you dont' have both, well, good luck

Comment

They aren't SMD.
                Has both SMD and Through Hole Pads. .. 2 mounting options.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

That cap is likely on the 12v rail so use a 16v. Try a 100 or 220uf.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

the ones under the smd pads just looks like smaller smd pads, but now a second look, they do look like through holes

Comment

You can probably figure out what voltage it's on with a DMM and the pin-out.
                      http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml
                      A 16v or 25v cap would be safe anyway because the highest voltage is +12v.
                      They probably upped it to 25v for a larger can and a higher ripple rating.
                      Messing with uF on a NIC might have bad results because there are timings and frequency dependent circuits involved.
                      If you are SURE it is -only- for power to the IC chips then getting the uF exactly right shouldn't matter that much.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

If the capacitor value was critical they wouldn't have used a cheap lytic as they have large tolerances even when they just left the factory door, let alone what happens with aging.
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Seeing as how the original is missing entirely how did you arrive at a conclusion about what it was?

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

There is room for both thru-hole and SMD, the SMD pads are large, and it is polarized. The only types of capacitor that fit this description are lytic and tantalum. Thru-hole tantalums have larger pitch.

Therefore it must be a lytic.

Comment

The value........

And the tolerance is +/-20%. That's loose but not THAT loose.

Asker stated the other caps are 10uF.
                              The missing one was -probably- the same...
                              100uF and 220uF aren't within 20% of that nor are they within 20% of each other.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                And the tolerance is +/-20%. That's loose but not THAT loose.
                                +/-20% in a timing circuit? You're funny today.

I did not read that the other cap was 10uF. That's my bad. But i bet it wouldn't be a problem if it were 100u.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  +/-20% in a timing circuit? You're funny today.
                                  It's done all the time out in the 'real world'. [Meaning not consumer stuff.]
                                  That's what trim pots are for.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Sure but a trimpot is more expensive, not mentioning more failure prone, than a 1% tolerance cap (and there are even tighter tolerances available) so why not do it right in the first place? I don't see a trimpot on that NIC anyway.

Comment

When you get out of the tunnel you will see more.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Sorry peeps for not informing you about the...err... progress, but I've had some goddamn school obligations so I wasn't able to respond any sooner. Anyway, I found a shot of my NIC on some Chinese shopping site, and all caps on that picture were having the same specs, so I decided to solder a Licon (yes, I know they suck!) cap that was lying around. And guess what? The card worked just as miserably as it did before I soldered that cap there. Cap isn't dead, and it's soldered properly. OK, I'd say so because there's no shorts and I've taken care for the polarity stuff. Seems like something else died, but not caps, right?
                                        Last edited by zynix; 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X