Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I cracked the DaVinci Code of X-Connect PSU's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I cracked the DaVinci Code of X-Connect PSU's!

....And I owe it all to Badcaps!

As you may or may not know, I, among many other review sites, reviewed the Youngyear built Ultra X-Connect power supply and gave it a thumbs up. This was over a year ago.

Months after these reviews went up, there were many reports of failures. Outside of UV light failures, I thought I was pretty immune to this and arrogantly assumed that the reports of failures floating about were exaggerated by third and fourth hand accounts.

Since then, Ultra has hired me to do some R&D and some light customer service (smooth over where tech support screws up.)

Recently, Ultra had a few people that bought some new/old X-Connect product from Microcenter and had experienced less than warm and fuzzy experiences.

Concerned with the high RMA rate and wanting to put the bad rap of the X-Connect behind them, the powers-that-be at Ultra had three units shipped from Microcenter to my door.

I loaded these up on the load tester and all three exhibited a .2V drop on the 12V rail with a mere 4A load increase (10A to 14A.) This was NOT the case with my own X-Connect reviewed a year prior. Furthermore, the crossload was much worse. When I dropped the 12V down to a mere 3A, the 12V rail shot up to 12.6V!

I then grabbed an X-Connect that was made by Wintech instead of Youngyear (you can tell the Wintechs because they don't have 115/230 switches. They're either 115V Only or 230V w/ APFC,) off the pile, threw it on the load tester and it was rock solid.

I then opened up the two and compared them with the photos from my 03/2005 review.

Now I'm not saying crappy capacitors is the reason why these power supplies suck. There's some differences that I notice like sloppy soldering on the modular interface, etc. But one thing I did notice that was in common between the good X-Connects and the crappy ones is that the good ones had Jee or Su'Scon capacitors....

....The X-Connects that performed miserably had Fuhjyyus!!!!
    Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Re: I think I cracked the DiVinci Code of X-Connect PSU's!

Post some frame filling pics of both jonny. Plz

Comment

Ok...

Here's the picture from the review I did last year:

This power supply gave me a year of good service and as far as I knew, they were all like this. Obviously Su'Scon caps.

The whole review is here: http://www.slcentral.com/ultra-x-con...-titanium-psu/

Now let me get over to the laptop where pics of the other two PSU's are.....

Comment

Ok... Here's the other two side by side.

The one on the left is one of the ones I got from Microcenter. It's a Youngyear, like my old one, but the sinks are silver. I'm nore sure if silver sinks is any kind of indication, but it's an observation.

The one on the right is made by Wintech. TOTALLY different PCB. In fact, it seems to be identical to the insides of an X-Finity 500W.

Above is a close up of the Fuhjyyu caps in the Youngyear.

Below is a close up of the Jee caps in the Wintech.

My X-Finity 500W and V-Series 400W have Su'Scon. Thanks to larrymoecurly's inquisitiveness, I found out from an engineer at Ultra that Wintech will use Su'Scon and JEE interchangibly. Never Fuhjyyu.

Comment

Here's a close up of the other side of the Wintech built unit:

All JEE caps.

Here's a close up of the other side of the Youngyear unit:

If I can find a Youngyear with all Su'Scon caps, I'll post that as well.

Comment

I always enjoy seeing a good autopsy... pretty interesting stuff.
            Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

good stuff!

really need to measure the esr and capacitance of the caps though to really determine if fuhjyuu is the problem. considering their track record though I would not be suprised.

are both the psus the same design? you mentioned they are different pcb.

gosh if they ever needed a pic for definition of bling in the dictionary, one of those would do nicely. hell if it is what is selling then ok. good to see a company looking into reliability.

i wonder if the yellow sleeves are special order? havent seen much of them before.
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

You may find what I offered, in this thread, about anodizing aluminum of interest. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1865 What I offered about color & insulating qualities is true.

While in that thread, it would be of great interest to me and probably it's OP, what you might offer to my imput re.loading the 3.3&5V rails for 12V only PSU use. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by willawake

are both the psus the same design? you mentioned they are different pcb.
                  To clarify: The two Youngyears are absolutely the same. The only difference I can see is all Su'Scon caps in one and all Fuhjyyu caps.

The Wintech built unit with the JEE caps is completely different from anything Youngyear and only resembles Ultra's more recent PSU's like all of the ones they now make with the "FlexForce" cables.

Comment

JEE is crap too - so beware.

Comment

I've had no issues with JEE. Must be like Teapo... Depends on who you ask.

BTW: I found another Youngyear and when I saw the gold heatsinks (as opposed to silver) I became optomistic. I opened it up and found a pair of Su'Scon's (black sleeves instead of yellow) but all of the rest of the caps were Fuhjyyu.

Also, the soldering is much better on this specimen and they used heatshrink on the ends of the wires much like the Wintech built unit.

I'm going to put it on the load tester to see if it's a pass or fail.

Comment

Sorry. The primary caps were CapXcon, not Su'Scons in this last unit and on the load tester the rails were almost as crappy as the all Fuhjyyu unit.

Still hacking!

Comment

We ordered 10 400w ultra's, 1 x-connect 550w, and 4 600w (the long one).

So far no problems out of the 400w version, all sus'con and jee.

I put the X-Connect 550w in a dual core 4200+ system with 1 hard drive, 2 optical drives, and a 7900 gt, it would get extremely hot and reboot after about 10 minutes of 3d gaming, replaced with a Nspire 550w (Channelwell) solved that problem. It still sets on my shelf unused.

The 600w seems to work great, powered 3 SLI rigs with them, they do not even get that warm, but 1 failed after 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                            JEE is crap too - so beware.
                            Opinion or first hand observation?

jonnyGURU -- I've had no issues with JEE. Must be like Teapo... Depends on who you ask.

Fatal0E -- We ordered 10 400w ultra's, 1 x-connect 550w, and 4 600w (the long one).

so whose right?
                            Rainbow or these other 2 respected members?

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
                              We ordered 10 400w ultra's, 1 x-connect 550w, and 4 600w (the long one).

The 600w seems to work great, powered 3 SLI rigs with them, they do not even get that warm, but 1 failed after 3 days.
                              Well... those are totally different. Those are all Wintechs. A half way decent factory (still no FSP.)

Originally posted by Fatal0E
                              I put the X-Connect 550w in a dual core 4200+ system with 1 hard drive, 2 optical drives, and a 7900 gt, it would get extremely hot and reboot after about 10 minutes of 3d gaming, replaced with a Nspire 550w (Channelwell) solved that problem. It still sets on my shelf unused.
                              Only one 7900? The X-Connect X2 550W I have running a pair of 7800's. Not even hot to the touch (wish I could say the same for the video cards!!!)

I've found that if the fan in the case just below the PSU, behind the CPU, is moving too much air, it defeats the PSU fan. And if there's not enough induction in the case (I don't know why people are so hot on negative air pressure in a PC chassis) it'll do the same. I'm only using a 120MM in the back running at 1000~1200RPM, while my intake is a single 120MM spinning at about 1800RPM.

Also, do make sure the case's side panel has the Intel TAC compliant vent over the PCI slots. Those damn video cards run so hot... they create problems on their own just from increasing the ambient heat in the case!! It's insane.

The 500W units in the above photos are from about a year ago. I don't think they've actually built them since mid '05. There's still a few floating around as new/old stock and are being rather troublesome for some folks... so I just figured I'd try to find a consistancy between the well behaved and ill behaved units.

Unfortunately, I can't find any consistancy outside of the fact that the unit I used to have, that I used in the review, had Su'Scon caps and none of the other 500W Youngyear built X-Connects I've played with do.

I'd love to find another Youngyear unit with all Su'Scon caps so I can see if it's as solid as my old one.

And yes... I spelled DaVinci wrong.
                              Last edited by jonnyGURU; 05-20-2006, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEDIYoda
                                Opinion or first hand observation?

so whose right?
                                Rainbow or these other 2 respected members?
                                I wouldn't necessarily say that. He has almost 600 posts.

Comment

i have some 300w-350w PSU with bulging JEE caps. it could be from its bad design, but i do believe that JEE caps are craps. so i concur in rainbow's statement.
                                  days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I wasnt saying they werent crap, the ones I have used have not been in service long enough to say.

Comment

nb. it took 1.8-2 year for the PSUs to be crapped out like that iirc. the psu is simbadda (atk/shinzou(?)), scorpion, & some other brand i can't remember the name.

Comment

..and fataloe click the reply button faster than me

BTW jonny, is there any chance we can see the complete schematic/diagram/circuit design of those PSUs?

Comment

Working...
                                        X