Old build POSTs outside case, won't POST in case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old build POSTs outside case, won't POST in case

My friend recently recapped my abit BX133-RAID motherboard. It posts and works fine outside the case on a cereal box, but when I install it in the case (new old stock Antec SLK1600), it powers on but has no activity. I tried two different power supplies, two different graphics cards, absolutely nothing else attached (not even front panel header / PC speaker), went down to one stick of RAM, cleared CMOS half a dozen times and also changed the battery...

I verified that there are no extra standoffs present underneath the motherboard. I used the standoffs and screws that came with the case. The I/O shield is installed and none of its fingers are making contact with the ports.

I will try reseating the CPU in case it somehow creeped out of the socket a little. Does anybody else have any suggestions?
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK, i7-3790, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 750 Ti, 256GB 840 Pro & 2x1TB / 1x2TB, Creative SoundBlaster ZxR, FSP Aurum S 400W
    abit IP35 Pro, Q9300, 16GB DDR2-800, GTX 750 Ti, 128GB 840 Pro & 1TB WD Blue, Corsair CX430
    HP d530 CMT, P4 EE 3.2ghz (with modded BIOS for correct microcode), 4GB DDR-400, ATI 9600XT, X-Fi, 80GB Velociraptor, 500GB WD Blue, XP SP3, Sony SDT-9000 & Seagate CTD-8000 DAT drive for ripping audio DATs
    abit BX133-RAID (recapped + SMD caps installed in processor socket), PIII-S 1.4ghz Tualatin, 768MB PC133, FX5600, SoundBlaster AWE32, 40GB Deskstar, Windows 98SE
    Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Re: Old build POSTs outside case, won't POST in case

Screws or the like behind the mobo would be my guess but it sounds like you checked that. Also, check for uncut or too long leads where you recapped...
    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

+1
      look more closely at the posts and consider trying paper washers.

Comment

Check you don't have one of the tabs of the I/O shield poking inside a port somewhere
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

screwheads shorting traces?

Comment

Leads on underside of mobo are fine, but I'll double check. I am using the screws and standoffs that came with the case, and the screwheads do not appear to be contacting any traces or other components when installed. I/O shield is fine as said in the first post. I even tried removing the I/O shield and it made no difference.
            ASUS P8Z77-V LK, i7-3790, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 750 Ti, 256GB 840 Pro & 2x1TB / 1x2TB, Creative SoundBlaster ZxR, FSP Aurum S 400W
            abit IP35 Pro, Q9300, 16GB DDR2-800, GTX 750 Ti, 128GB 840 Pro & 1TB WD Blue, Corsair CX430
            HP d530 CMT, P4 EE 3.2ghz (with modded BIOS for correct microcode), 4GB DDR-400, ATI 9600XT, X-Fi, 80GB Velociraptor, 500GB WD Blue, XP SP3, Sony SDT-9000 & Seagate CTD-8000 DAT drive for ripping audio DATs
            abit BX133-RAID (recapped + SMD caps installed in processor socket), PIII-S 1.4ghz Tualatin, 768MB PC133, FX5600, SoundBlaster AWE32, 40GB Deskstar, Windows 98SE
            Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Is the motherboard warped by even the smallest degree? Mobo OUT of case works, mobo IN case; screwed down flat doesa not work.

Comment

try with only a couple of screws

Comment

Originally posted by Towncivilian View Post
                  My friend recently recapped my abit BX133-RAID motherboard. It posts and works fine outside the case on a cereal box, but when I install it in the case (new old stock Antec SLK1600), it powers on but has no activity. I tried two different power supplies, two different graphics cards, absolutely nothing else attached (not even front panel header / PC speaker), went down to one stick of RAM, cleared CMOS half a dozen times and also changed the battery...

I verified that there are no extra standoffs present underneath the motherboard. I used the standoffs and screws that came with the case. The I/O shield is installed and none of its fingers are making contact with the ports.

I will try reseating the CPU in case it somehow creeped out of the socket a little. Does anybody else have any suggestions?
                  Really need to see some photos of the recap job. What brand and series of caps were used? are they genuine? where they bought on eBay? Has your friend have experience recapping motherboards? What were the old caps that got replaced?

Comment

Have you tried it outside the box after you tried it inside?

Try preheating with a hairdryer might be a bad joint?
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Caps used were Panasonic FM series bought from Mouser. I'll try to get some photos up soon. Friend has recapped several mobos before. I don't remember what the old caps were but they were not visibly bad, I had it recapped preemptively.

I did try the mobo outside the case after being mounted in the case and it POSTs. I will check for warping of the mobo and try fewer screws.
                      Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Towncivilian View Post

I did try the mobo outside the case after being mounted in the case and it POSTs.
                        Was that using the same power supply , ram and 0n/off switch leads from the box and monitor.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yes, identical parts inside and outside the case. Haven't had a chance to try anything else yet, I probably will later today though.
                          Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Figured it out! A pin on the processor has broken off. It turns out the board no longer POSTed outside the case ... so the one time it did POST out of the case, the pin must have been making intermittent contact. I believe the pin broke when the computer took a small fall in my vehicle. I had it standing upright on the rear seat and had to stop relatively quickly, causing the case to fall down on its side. This must have resulted in the broken pin.

Well, first of all, this AMD heatsink is not a good choice for this processor:

Spot the missing pin:

Bonus points to whoever figures out the function of that pin. How I wish it were just a ground

There it is!

Luckily, a magnetic tipped screwdriver pulled the pin out of the socket with ease.

It seems that my faithful Pentium !!! 1000EB has ran its last instruction. Ah well, the board lives on... time to find another socket 370 processor. All I have here is a Tualatin. I know I can try to mod the processor to work on this board, but I don't feel like breaking any more pins off or messing around with a conductive pen tonight.

A couple (probably terrible) photos of the recap job:

(large version)

(large version)

I know, I need to get a chipset heatsink. As you may notice based on the residue, the previous heatsink was superglued on at the four corners, with some thermal grease in the middle. I haven't yet found a heatsink with mounting pushpins that fit this board's spacing, and the original tiny green abit chipset heatsink is nowhere to be found.

The two block pins in the black IDE sockets were removed. I don't know why they were even there, they caused so many headaches trying to find a cable with the block pin open.
                            The two fan headers right next to each other don't work. I've read that it could be a problem with the transistors (the four very small ones right next to the headers) but I haven't been able to confirm that, nor have I been able to find replacement transistors (the text on them is damn near microscopic). The third fan header near the CMOS battery works fine still. I think the dead fan headers should still sense RPM though, so they are still useful as long as I power fans using the power supply.

Also, in the processor socket photo above, you can see the 12 SMD caps which were added to the board. Looks like I should clean up some of that left over flux before I install another processor. Anyway, I'll go reinstall the board back in the case now. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I know I'd get laughed off some other boards if I posted my troubles with something this ancient.

One more mildly interesting fact: the Antec SLK1600 case I bought off eBay was new-in-box. It has an Antec SmartPower SP300 power supply which has probably never been powered on except for testing at the factory. I opened it up to take a look and a cap on the secondary side is bloated, leaking electrolyte. Is this a power supply worth recapping? I've read of a fan thermal control resistor modification for these power supplies too, so if I go ahead with the recap I'll do that too.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded
                            Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Edit: Never mind. The site I was looking at was wrong. Looking at Intel's Datasheet it's pin D60 that's broken. (Page 68 for pinout)

I wonder if you could solder a piece of wire onto where the pin broke off?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Agent24; 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM.
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

if it were here i would put the tiniest dab of flux on it and try to flow it back on with a air pen.
                                just for practice to be ready for the repair that counts.

Comment

I did save the pin. I'll have my buddy give a try at reattaching the pin somehow.
                                  Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

what cpu was it anyway?
                                    something decent?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      what cpu was it anyway?
                                      something decent?
                                      I don't think it was anything spectacular, I think it's a Pentium 3 1000EB (Coppermine) or the 1000 Coppermine-T version.

It seems that I can just pull a few pins from the Tualatin CPU I have and it will work without any further modification to the processor, at least on my BX133 board: http://digilander.iol.it/grandecigno/Tua_BX_3.htm
                                      According to that page, I'll be able to adjust the voltage up to 1.7v through the BIOS, if necessary.
                                      I hope mine is an S version with 512kb of L2 cache, it's been so long since I acquired it I don't remember what it is.
                                      Last edited by Towncivilian; 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM.
                                      Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

I pulled the three pins mentioned in my link above on my Celeron 1000A Tualatin core and the board boots with it, in the case with everything connected. I already had the modified BIOS with Tualatin microcode installed, but the board still detected it as a Pentium III 667mhz. I manually raised it to 1.0ghz with 133FSB. I haven't installed any OSes yet on the build, couldn't find any blank CD-Rs! I bought a Pentium III-S 1.4ghz / 512k L2 and a new tall Zalman chipset heatsink from eBay today. Maybe I should have gotten a larger case? The SLK1600 seems kind of cramped... wish I could find one of those tall beige server towers!
                                        Attached Files
                                        Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Working...
                                        X