X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Free Upgrade is FINALLY OVER

It FINALLY comes to a close.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...nd-whats-next/
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Windows 10 Free Upgrade is FINALLY OVER

Are you implying that windows 10 is actually worth PAYING for?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

No; I am just saying that the GWX stuff is FINALLY coming to a close(no more forced upgrades!)
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I loved their stat in the article: over 350 million devices using W10....I wonder how many of that number are OEM's pre-installed, and how many of those were unwillingly forced...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

they probably included phones and consoles - and probably counted license distribution, rather than sales.
          so a lot of those numbers may still be in stockrooms and showrooms - not sold yet.

anyway, if you think it's over - think again.
          they did not go as far as they did to just stop.
          they will have "plan-B" ready for action soon - i'm sure of it.
          probably all new computers and upgrade-bioses will have "secure-boot" enabled by default.
          win7 and under does not have any hashes to put in the bios - so it wont boot.

Comment

Hell, its already 1:25 AM in washington.... Now for a shigh of relief at the tirade being over...
            Last edited by goontron; 07-29-2016, 11:26 PM.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Till now , the w10 icon in taskbar is still working , so i assume Microsoft numbers , somehow , include also those who have legitimate licenses and didn't want to upgrade . Pretty much explaining how they announce the campaign's end .
              Initially , the laptop i'm talking about cannot take windows 10 in the first place (an old acer something ) , so this promotion is still reserved for it anyway ...

Comment

Still one hour to go as of posting this

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

^ Why i'm not sad ,lol .. Thanks man .

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    they probably included phones and consoles - and probably counted license distribution, rather than sales.
                    so a lot of those numbers may still be in stockrooms and showrooms - not sold yet.

anyway, if you think it's over - think again.
                    they did not go as far as they did to just stop.
                    they will have "plan-B" ready for action soon - i'm sure of it.
                    probably all new computers and upgrade-bioses will have "secure-boot" enabled by default.
                    win7 and under does not have any hashes to put in the bios - so it wont boot.
                    Yes, anything with Windows 8 on forwards has secure boot enabled. Very easy to disable though.

Comment

Yay Im now going back to win 7 on both machines windows 10 sucks ass !
                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

You can still do it manually using the accessiblity loophole:
                        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

Comment

I downloaded a iso but didn't install. Figured it would be nice to have but not sure if it counts since it hasn't been installed.

Comment

I dont have the ISO's.....I can say I've never set it up for anyone, I've always managed to talk people into staying with W7.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Of the couple of customers that have ignored my advice and insisted I install Win 10, both came back shortly and asked me to revert to 7.

I do have a Win 10 PC here, it gets turned on very occasionally when i want to read a hard drive with 8/8.1 on.

Comment

I have VM of win10 on the insiders programme somewhere on a drive array without a RAID controller... maybe one day ill get the array rebuilt and fire up Whack-It-Goes 10....
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Now they are focusing on pulling options away from people who took the downgrade to Whack-it-Goes 10...
                                  http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/mic...indows-10-pro/

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I know someone who fat fingered "Install Windows 10" by clicking on the "x" close window box...

I think my machines made it without installing win10. Though I was thinking I should have gotten my win8.1 tablet downgraded to win10 just because... I just didn't feel like it as I couldn't get the image backup going (with Linux of course... and couldn't get it working because Linux runs so crappy on the tablet.)

So does this mean... no more nags? Eh... nah, they're just going to annoy us more as now it's profit for them if we downgrade...

Comment

i have been thinking more on this.
                                      i suspect the next release of visual studio will compile stuff so it wont run on 7.
                                      they already rigged it to not make stuff XP compatable - it's a devious trick

so if your fav software is compiled with GCC - no problem, but if it's compiled with visual studio then be carefull about upgrading to newer versions!

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        So does this mean... no more nags? Eh... nah, they're just going to annoy us more as now it's profit for them if we downgrade...
                                        Nope, I've just done a clean Win 7 install and all updates for someone. The big nag that popped up in Internet Explorer has gone. No pop ups, nothing in System showing. I'd have to agree the nags have gone.

Comment

Working...
                                        X