• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello

Comment

Greetings,

I'm in southern Maryland, on a small island. My eldest son is a sr. tech w/ Comcast in Philly he directed me to this site.

Im more of a gear-head. I have a 42" Samsung LED that started switching itself on & then off; to toss out a $ 700.00 unit that is six years old seems wasteful so I am trying to find out how to trouble shoot.

I have a FLUKE 87 Multi meter that, with my limited knowledge, use to 5% of its capacity.

The unit is a:LN40B500P3FXZA, Version SQ01. At first, it would come on, present a 'snowy' screen (does that term 'date' me?) stay on for 10 seconds or so, then turn off. Then 30 seconds later repeat the on-off cycle.

Took the back of the unit; has 3 different circuit boards: the 'tuner', the 'power' board and at the bottom a smaller board with 'chips'.

After blowing the fuse on the per. board & jumping it, now I turn on the unit, stays on for 20 mins. & then shuts off- so now it Does not turn itself on. Go figure.

It just occurred to me that this is an introduction, so I need to 'post' this on a thread ... ?

Comment

Hey guys,
        I'm DG from Canada. I have an LG plasma 60pb5600 that is not turning on anymore which led me to this forum. I am an electrical engineer by profession. Got a couple of tools with me including a fluke 87-V. Will be posting the details of my unit in the relevant section.

Comment

Hey Guys

I have a Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT50 that is giving me HDMI issues. Looking for some suggestions!

Thanks

Comment

Hey there,
            I am a Chemical Engineer by profession but a computer hardware enthusiast by passion. I am quite proficient when it comes to the basic engineering of hardware but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the individual components of a PCB, I am quite amateur. I found this forum when I discovered a missing cap on a motherboard.

Comment

I heard of this site when I heard about the "Capacitor Plague"
              Think it was about a engineer stealing a non-finished formula and selling it to Capacitor manufacturers.
              This is a80231

Comment

Hello my name is Curro from Spain.

I'm engenieer and looking find how to repair my Dell 3007WFP monitor I found this fantastic forum.

I will apport detail videos and pictures of the process, I hope will be usefull for the rest of the community.

Regards.
                Game PC: Antec Solo & Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 & Xeon X5660 6x4.5GHz & 16GB & DELL 3007WFP-HC*&Nvidia 780 GTX Ti SC&FILCO&G500&G25 Xi-Fi & Z-Logitech 5400 & SSD 840 EVO 250 GB SO + SSD 840 EVO 120 GB Juegos + OCZSSD2-2VTXE 120G Datos + 2x 2TB ST2000DL003
                HTPC: SilverStone LC16B-MR & GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 & AMD Athlon II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz & 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 & XFX HD5450 & 2xAVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Super 007 & Club3d DTS-connect & OLED 55EC930V
                SERVER: MSI X58A-GD65 && Xeon X5650 6x3.6GHz & 12GB & 120GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO & 6x2TB Raid 6 (5xST32000542AS+1xWDCWD20EZRX-00D) + 1x2TB WDC WD20EZRX-00D + 3TB WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 + 4TB ST4000DM000 + 2x8TB ST8000AS0002 = 37.12 TB

Comment

Hello, just registered as this seems like the most informative place to help me out. Looking forward to having a chat to hopefully diagnose my problems.

Comment

Hi. I'm new and writing my one obligatory post. I've been messing with electronics since a kid. Back then it was all about my Commodore64 and "dumpster diving" nearby neighborhood businesses for discarded electronic parts and wires. These days I'm an electrical controls engineer and can buy my stuff online which is much easier. Can't think of anything else to say other than thanks for having this group. Jeff
                    :-)

Comment

My name is Jim I am an electrical engineer power mostly but had a lot of electronics in college. I am located in Raleigh North Carolina. I am currently modifying game controllers for handicap kids as well repairing laptops and etc when needed. I am currently working on a Asus x54c that seems to have a bad power jack connection and only comes on when you press the jack real hard. Any ideas and where to find a schematic would be helpful. Thanks if I can help anyone feel free to get in touch.

Jim

Comment

Hi my name is Željko ('Ž' is pronounced like consonant 'j' in french, just to demystify a little and I have a degree in physics and informatics education. I've always gravitated towards computers and loved to take them apart and repair component by replacing them with new/working ones.
                        Lately I've armed myself with a soldering iron, inexpensive multimeter and a lot of motivation to refresh my knowledge of current and electronic parts and to dwell more into actually repairing components using my "bare hands".

Comment

Hello!

Thank you for a great forum, it has helped me a lot.

All the best

Comment

Hello,
                            I joined a day or two ago.
                            Not exactly a rank beginner in electronics. Mostly self taught. Have a certificate
                            in Electronics Assembly, about 1970 or 1971, Palomar Jr. College, San Marcos,CA.
                            And another certificate in Computerized Equipment Servicing, and Electrical and PLC
                            from Modesto Jr. College, 2007.
                            Maintain my own homebuilt computers, 2 as of now. (have 3 total) Both are full size towers and are on casters.
                            Retired from the cannery as a professional mechanic. Moved away from California July 2015. Living in Louisiana.
                            Always nice to pick up on info when you're stuck. And no playing like a TV tech the past few days. Was given to me by my neighbor. (18 years on the side as a TV tech for CRT type TV's)
                            You guy/girls have a good week.

Comment

Just found this forum so joined immediately. Blew up my first cap at age ten taking apart an old TV so this place is perfect.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Found this forum a couple weeks back while diagnosing a broken Apple laptop, so I thought I would join!

I've been fascinated with electronics since I was a teen, but I've been getting more serious with this as a hobby over the past year or so.

Comment

Sup guys!

I found this site through googling after PSU load tester.

Hope everyone is soldering just fine

So happy trails!

Comment

My Nick: au.vi is the abbreviation of Audio & Video.

I repair various consumer electronics devices, and have some special experience with Philips hardware. Anything from 50 year old tube radio's to recent LCD TV's. Fixed multiple Streamium audio sets. But also car audio, DJ gear, etc.
                                    Last edited by au.vi; 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hi All!

No formal electronics training, but have fixed a few TV's, VCR's, etc., over the years, usually with help/advice from a high school buddy who used to own a TV repair shop.

Found this site after doing capacitor replacements on a couple of video cards and a LG LCD TV.

Comment

hello

Comment

Hello,

I'm Robert, looking to save a few bucks repairing my knock-off brand TV instead of replacing it. Thanks for this forum!

Comment

Working...
                                          X