This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all this is Max from belgium I have always been taking apart and trying to fix electrical things and still going strong!

Happy New Year To All

Comment

Hi! I'm having a problem with my Asus K53 backlight. Trying to find the right fuse.

Comment

hello my name is jaime and i have been taking things apart since i was a child i remember when i was ten and my favorite radio/alarm clock stopped working so i opened it up and noticed the the power cord was fried so i went in search of something to fix it with and came across my step dads electric shaver and i took the power plug from that and wired it to fit the clock radio and fixed it that was about 24 years ago and it still works to this day and i didnt even get shocked ok well maybe a little lol

Comment

ron 77 Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

My name is Ron Butler.Born in London. Grammar school then architecture college. Worked for CWS architects dept.,located close to tower of london.Had to do national service, joined RAF.They decided to send me to their no.1 electronics school.From there Germany, Koln-Bonn airport.It was civil and military. Ater RAF went into electronics.Worked for Philco in England, then for subsidiary of Pye and then Phillips.In 1973 started my own limited company selling and renting televisions and videos.We were agents for Hitachi-JVC-ITT-Grundig etc.I am a family man, have seven greatgrandchildren at time of writing.Am now retired but still active almost 24/7.
          Originally posted by petabyte View Post
          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Hi, my name is David. I'm from Las Vegas, NV. I don't have much experience in electronics, but I always try to learn more about them.

Comment

Hi,

I'm just a bedroom geek.. fixing cool stuff like flat TV's. I like only paying £20 for a fix on a 32 inch flat screen. My mates cant believe the stuff I have fixed!

Comment

Hello! I am Michael from Pasadena, CA. Been interested in getting a little more engaged with electronics modification and repair, so when a nearly faulty Samsung monitor was saved from the scrapheap, I figured I'd try my hand at repairing it.

Background: I graduated from Whitman College last May with a BA in Physics, and am currently working at a small engineering and R&D firm in SoCal while I wait on the results of my grad school applications for Mechanical Engineering master's programs.

Comment

Greetings from the midwest.

My name is George. I'm an 27 year old IT Generalist located in Lincoln, NE. I've been into electronics since I could walk and as a kid I think i took apart more of my parents' electronics than i should have just to see how they worked.

In my recent years, I've been in IT for the past 10 years give or take. I grew up as an auto mechanic but decided to make that a hobby rather than a career.

I found the forum through a google search while researching a bad Samsung 940 monitor. Not sure how active of a poster I'll be, but I'm happy to have joined this forum and look forward to interacting with everyone here.

Comment

Hi, I'm Tim and stumbled onto this board while playing around with a semi-broken lcd monitor. I am an ASE master tech of many years and have recently started playing around with some minor electronic odds and ends. Gotta say its a bit different in the automotive world. We just gotta find the unit/part that's bad, not why it went bad, what inside the unit went bad, etc. lol
                    I'm not much of a poster on any of the forums i visit but am always reading. Already read alot on here the last few days and learned quite a bit....maybe too much right off the bat if you know what i mean.
                    I may post about the hanns-g I'm playing with.....seems some of you are a little familiar with it. I'm doing this mainly for fun and to learn some things I've always been intrigued by. Nice to meet you all, Tim

Comment

there are plenty of ppl here....it's very good to see ppl with diferent professions chatting and trying to solve problems
                      live for nothing or DIE for something!!!!!!!!

Comment

hello im blind.....no formal education here, i just love to build and fix things.....after my first pre-built computer which i hated with all the crap that came with it, i started putting together my own then got heavy into gaming/overclocking and building rigs for friends......now i have come to the point where im tired of spending too much money on keeping up with the latest and greatest and things are breaking down so i decided to give fixing electronics a try :-)

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                          I started out with a Commodore VIC-20 and graduated to a C64 eventually.

>>>>Click Below<<<<William Shatner Sells Commodore
                          http://youtu.be/PUEI7mm8M7Q
                          No YT BBCODE Allowed

Comment

Originally posted by loknar28 View Post

No YT BBCODE Allowed
                            Nope. I'm not 100% sure on the official reason... But it does allow faster page loading and a lot less bull puckey on the other side of things.

If it really is important, link it.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Hello,
                              I too started on a C-64! Used Trash-80s in high school. Yeah, I've been around a while... Been an aircraft avionics tech for 25 years, still doing that. Retired from USAF. I've been messing with electronics since a small child, not so much computers per se, but have definitely replaced zillions of bad caps, and every other electronic device out there it seems. As a result I own very little bought new items, much to my wife's initial dismay. Nowadays she really appreciates my abilities. I,ve been repairing all types of stuff my whole life and I don't see that ending anytime soon. Got lead to this sight researching a repair on one of son's laptop. And my wife's just up and died so on to repairing computers again! Oh yeah, I do hardware only. If it's a software issue I give it to the wife! Hope to earn lots here. Thanks for the site!

Comment

Hey folks! Dinked around with USAF Radar for a while in the early 70's, computers since 8088's, phones, misc. electronics old and new. Always learn something from new people I meet and this forum is no exception. Picked up some new tips and tricks here on my first visit. A quick scan of the posts helped me fix a dead Magnavox LCD TV. R&R'd five bad caps (obvious - bloated and leaking). Completed the repair in about 20 minutes start to finish. Couple of days later, with help from posts here, I zeroed in on a bad diode and two caps in a Polaroid 32" PSU and threw a really quick fix on it too. Nothing needed but a phillips screwdriver, multimeter, and my trusty Porta-Sol! Awesome! I have more than a few projects that I've been putting off for one reason or another. Maybe it's a good time to knock the dust off and get around to doing a little something with them. Great site guys !

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                  I Joined recently as I have a few things I wanted to fix. I have been aware of this site over it's 10 year history and stoped in for a read from time to time.
                                  I have always been into computers and I currently work for a large Telco/ISP (Tier 2 Service Assurance/Faults)
                                  I have also recently started Part Time study in Computer Systems Engineering. Finding the electronic and soldering side of things very interesting. I have gotten to the stage where I am pretty confident/competant in soldering SMD.
                                  I'm currently a Part-time Computer Systems Engineering student.
                                  Full time Service Assurance (faults) for a large Telco.

Comment

Hi,

Interested in seeing some of the recent capacitor and general failure modes in the industry.

Comment

Hi,
                                      I go by Mr Opinion. Self Explanatory. I have this sickness where I will work on just about anything that I can disconnect power to. Started with puzzles as a toddler and then models, cars, computers by shear accident...then necessity, A/V equipment, small engines, appliances, HVAC. It's gotten out of hand. Anyway I have become facinated with LCD TV repair and needed some help diagnosing some issues.
                                      Thanks.
                                      Mr Opinion

Comment

Hello,

I was looking for a potential fixer-upper in the classified, a Sharp 46" with sound but no picture. As I searched for a cause, I came across this website. This website is a great resource. I'm a middle-aged married mechanical engineer, RC aeromodeler, Arduino neophyte, who is ready to rescue another TV from going to the dump.

Thanks,
                                        Whirligig

Comment

Hi everyone!

Samuel from Slovakia

Comment

Working...
                                          X