This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Just signed up, thanks for all the help over the years!

Comment

Hi, I'm an Information Technology Professional* who also just singed up, so I could see the inside** of a G5 Xserve Power Supply. Thanks for the best*** place on the web with the correct detailed images. Now I'll go look for the pinouts!****

*(under paid geek)
      **(needs xray vision)
      ***(actually the only site I found)
      ****(work is never done, just delayed until tomorrow)

Comment

Hi,

Being an avid hoarder, over life i have slowly built up a collection of things that have stopped working. A small part of my brain kept telling me i can fix them. Well that time is now!

Thanks for having me and my junk.

Comment

Hi, I just signed up to try to learn all I can about electronic repair. I am 80 years old and don't learn as fast as I used too, but you have to keep the old brain active! I really enjoy troubleshooting and repairing anything. I work on desktop and laptop computers, monitors and TV's that have been discarded. I have no formal training, just trial and error. I know I will receive much help from the forum and maybe I can help someone.
          Thanks for having me.

Comment

Greetings,

I am just learning electronics after finishing a career as a systems programmer for the past 30 years. I have a rework station and have been repairing a few items (MB, CRT, printer, PS, etc) but would like to actually understand more what I am doing. I have an ESR meter and multimeter but don't feel I am getting enough out of those tools because I don't really understand how they work. This forum I found when researching a PS issue so I am very excited to find one place that I can learn from people who have hands on knowledge.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Hello:

I am a 60-something guy who started with a Commodore64, and only programming experience was Basic in the early 1980s. I do like electronics, and for that sin I get requests to fix stuff for people. My troubleshooting strategy is mostly swapping out boards, but I have successfully replaced some caps. (unfortunately some of the kits do not contain the correct caps that are listed in the kit, so need to check b4 unsoldering)

thats my intro,

73 de bananaman

Comment

Hi from downunder, Australia.
                Electrical/Electronic Engineer in management returning to learn to repair equipment like my 32" LCD Philips TV that is refusing to light up. All PCBs physically looks good, invertor starts up and shutdown within a split second.
                Model 32PF5320/79 sold in Australia and New Zealand, PCBs are by LG Philips in Korea.
                Look forward to find a solution to repair unit due to sentimental values.
                Tractel

Comment

hi im from the philippines, i am an electronic technician

Comment

Well here is a little info about myself. I was trained as an electronics technician in the navy back in the 70's. Yes I was taught old school starting with tubes.
                    I got out of the navy in 82 and have worked various tech jobs since then but not in electronics.
                    I found this website out of frustration after having another 2 year old tv not work. The first on was a plasma that ended up in the land fill.
                    This one is a Vizio LED.
                    Hoping to save money and prevent another trip to the landfill!:

Comment

Hello,
                      I must say it is rather funny how my account does not work all that well. I created this account so I might actually be able to say something in a specific thread.... I'm thinking this is why I really dislike forums and rarely join them.
                      Last edited by sundot; 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM. Reason: a quick update!

Comment

Hi all

I'm a newcomer from Scandinavia, recently graduated electronics engineer.
                        I thought this looked like a good forum, with the possibility of getting help and experience on repairing stuff, so I thought I'd join in.

My present project is to learn more about plasma TV's, as I have an LG that I suspect could be adjusted to look better.

Thanks for sharing knowledge, hope I can contribute some day also.

Comment

Hello, looks like I am the newest member. My name is Joe, I am a software guy, mostly storage related right now.

Comment

Got tired of lurking, so I finally joined up.

Comment

Hi people

Comment

Found this place trying to troubleshoot a problem with a TV the boss left in my office and found the information invaluable! Thanks for this site! I'm an IT guy, but have always dabbled in electronics and repair. This day in age the IT gets stuck with anything that runs on electricity.
                                Best Regards,

Dave (aka Deebeaux)

Comment

Greets from Alabama. Retired Mechanical Engineer, Recording Engineer Wanna-Be.
                                  Grandfather of seven. Tinkers with Moto Guzzi. Loves Bluegrass. Picker of all things strung, left handed. Plays banjo, mandolin, guitar, etc...

My initial interest is in studio monitor repair / specs.

Hope to become an asset here :-)

Sent from my wifes iPad ( so excuse the mess...)

Thx-Barry

Comment

I'm a 66 year old retired plumber tinkering with a plasma TV. Waiting for delivery of a Blue ESR. My eyes are crossing from so much reading this past month. Looking forward to posting some questions soon.

Used to build video editing computers until they became so cheap. Harley rider from way back.
                                    Last edited by MyHD120; 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hello, I am new to the forum.

First my background, when I was in high school, I worked at a computer store for 5 years as a repair technician. This was from about 1998 to about 2003. Then I moved away for college, I tried to find work as a PC repair technician but was unable to find employment. I later found out that ITT Tech had a school locally and was saturating the job market with interns and new graduates. Rather serendipitously, I took an emergency medical technician basic course and upon finishing found out that EMTs get paid, I was able to get a job. As a result, I haven't returned to professional PC repair work. I used to joke, same job, different machine.

I finished my Bachelor's degree in mathematics, afterwards, I got my paramedic certification (which is the highest certification for pre-hospital medical providers). I've been casually working on my Master's degree in mathematics which I really want to finish soon. As for the future, I plan on applying to medical school and if that doesn't work out, my interest in electronics has really opened up on me, and I might consider going and getting a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.

Since my PC repair days, I have remained interested, I've done some repair work for family and friends and of course, continue to build my own computers.

I stumbled on the whole topic of "capacitor plague" one day, and upon reading about it, I must say that it was nothing short of a revelation. I think a lot of the problems I came across back in my repair tech days that truly stumped me, can be explained by this phenomenon. I mean those ones where you have replaced every component in the system and the system is still unstable. I came across scenarios like this during the AMD Athlon Slot A era, where you would even replace the motherboard and the system was still unstable (I realize now that if the caps were faulty on the old board, if you replace it with the same model board, the caps would be bad on the new one).

Anyways, I came upon this site a little while ago, and it has a lot of really good information on it.

I've repaired one monitor so far, I have an MSI motherboard that I want to recap and see if I can repair it.

I don't have too much in the way of equipment, I have a really good multimeter, a Radioshack soldering iron, and a lot of tools but not much for test equipment. Top on my list is to get a better soldering iron and an ESR meter.

Yours,
                                      Justin

Comment

GREETINGS to ALL,

Hello guys Im new here in this forum, I want to learn some technical knowledge about electronics repairing, I found in the net this forum and its interesting so i decided to join.

best regards to all

Comment

Hi all,

I am from Bangalore , India. Found the forum having interesting and valuable information so just signed up.
                                          Kiran

Comment

Working...
                                          X