Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW recap video made and working

it has been made

i will have link soon as it is uploading to youtube right now.

it shows me removing a bad cap and clearing the holes with braid

it is a test of my new setup- a good webcam mounted on a counterweighted tripod, connected to an imac G5. it is designed to allow close ups of the solder tip and pcb pad. i will take pics of it and post them soon.

when i get a link, i will post it here.

enjoy! (in advance)
    they are pretty good... nice job ratdude!
    0%
    so-so... good start i guess
    0%
    they are stupid... get a life! :D
    0%
    you need more topics (post your idea if not already there)!
    0%
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: NEW recap video made and working

i have a link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4iv_m0ZgE

sigpic

Comment

it has been refined with annotations to show what i am actually doing.

it had some views so far... hello? anybody have something to say?

I am planning on making more covering all recapping topics (pump desolder method, cap installation, proper solder techniques, etc. some input on what to do next or how they could be made better would be nice...
      sigpic

Comment

Nice one!
        Thanks for not using audio, useless music etc. My very old slow DSL didn't pause and played straight through.
        The video quality was much better than most.
        That's some nice looking braid, what flavor? My ratshack stuff doesn't wick that well. I added the extra solder, didn't make any diff.
        Well done.
        TC

Comment

ratshack braid is not fluxed most of the time... either add flux to it or buy new. unless you are in a pinch, avoid ratshack... overpriced junk most of the time.

look in the description... it says my brand and type... i got it in a 25 ft roll at a local electronics shop (where i got my other equipment).

i was going to have audio but my voice sounds like a girl on a mic, so i did it silent and added annotations.

thanks for the feedback!

ps- not bad for a 4 dollar webcam from a thift store on a mini-tripod with 4 old bolts taped tot he back to counterweight it?
          sigpic

Comment

my next two coming soon:

cap installation

cap removal- pump method
            sigpic

Comment

the pump method was a bust... i have decided braid is the best answer (if it is good braid)

my electronics teacher liked the video... too bad the braid we have is non-fluxed non-working crap... i will bring my good roll tomorrow. and the irons suck too... ratshack style crap. at least they work...

the install video was a success. i have uploaded it and am working on annotations now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-UQLcH5Rc

some comments from some experts here would be very nice.
              sigpic

Comment

Hi.

Nicely done, both the video and the (de)soldering. I had real trouble melting the original solder despite using a 100W iron.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by steelcityuk View Post
                  I had real trouble melting the original solder despite using a 100W iron.
                  Add a little bit 60/40 rosin core solder to whatever you are trying to desolder first. I add enough to cover to the joint on a PCB board. Then I use my desolder pump. I personally have horrible experience with the wick, but it could be the cheap crappy wick with no flux?
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

bad fluxless wick

my electronics shop had that problem... the teacher saw my video, asked how i did that, tried the braid we had to use, and found the braid had no flux and was useless.

my braid is GC braid... none of that ratshack crap.

someone around here said spay-on flux can be used to fix bad braid, but i have no idea if it works, so ymmv.
                    sigpic

Comment

The navy used to give us this runny flux in a bottle with a brush and unfluxed braid.
                      [Reason is fluxed braid has a shelf life.]
                      Just the apply flux to the braid with the brush. - Works okay then.

The Videos are a good idea.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

good. once i get a better pick, the needle trick will be next.

pics of the new setup:

the SolderCam:

the mouse in the first picture has the optical sensor taped over... it is used to remotely start/stop the recording since the button on the webcam will only do stills.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Great video indeed! I second Akaister's appreciation for not using boring audio!

I've always generally used the cheap pump method myself, so I look forward to the next video.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            the pump method was a bust... i have decided braid is the best answer (if it is good braid)

Braid, properly fluxed, works pretty darn good ... sometimes a little excess flux-core solder that is applied just for the flux content works well too with braid that isn't fluxed ... but not as well when flux itself is applied to otherwise bare braid! Great vids too.

Comment

belated, but thanks!

some jackhole decided to talk crap about my soldering by posting a jeer-like comment on my channel.

he claims my method is good if the goal is cold joints, and is crap otherwise. the joints were not cold when i was done, i know that for a fact.

sounds like the only cold joints were the ones he was about to smoke
                              sigpic

Comment

I tried to make a new video on the use of the radio shack 45w desoldering iron, which i have found to be the best capacitor removal tool i have ever used (no fancy hakko/weller stuff in my possession).

however, due to issues involving uber-choppy videos, i could not make a decent video. i will have to bring down my imac g5 and use it to shoot it... it worked for the last two, it must be the logitech mac drivers (as opposed to the linux ones)... i even tried lowering the resoltion to no avail.

if there are ANY new topic you would like me to cover, post them... I will get all the videos I can done in one batch. so far, the only video i have on my to-shoot list is:

- radio shack 45W desoldering iron tutorial

if it can be done with a soldering iron, a pogo-type solder sucker, or a desoldering iron, I can do it.

note- if i can get to to work and not bash the camera, i might try making the needle trick work; i now have needles that may be stainless... the nickel plated ones before were only good for 1-2 uses before the plating failed.
                                sigpic

Comment

Hey, ratdude- good job on the videos. Can ya make a video on using the radioshack spring loaded solder sucker. I just bought one a few days ago, have not used it yet. I have always used the sucker bulbs with the Teflon tips- need to experiment some I guess. The thing about the sewing needles is that I have to keep scraping the solder off all the time.

Comment

the radioshack suckers are trash. i had one and it exploded in my face. it stripped the threads where the plastic and aluminum halfs of the chamber meet. poor design

i tried to make one using my velleman all aluminum one but it refused to work right. the sucker is good for things like the anchors on serial ports and the like, but for anything else, poor choice. see if you can return the the ratshack sucker you bought... you can get one like I have for about the same price online and you essentially get a free 100% quality increase. (if you get one, there are a few things that you need to do to get the best service out of it)

since you have radio shack access, get the $11 45W desoldering iron. works 98% of the time.

however, the process is different. for it, you:

1. add some fresh solder the the joints
                                    2. switch to the desoldering iron and depress the bulb with your thumb
                                    3. get the tip square on the joint, flush with the pcb
                                    4. release bulb
                                    5. re-depress the bulb, make sure the tip is aimed away from your face, board, or anything important (solder will fly)
                                    6. repeat #3 ,#4, and #5 for the second joint
                                    7. set down desoldering iron, and wiggle out the cap.

the main difference is you clear the joints before you pull the cap... the legs act as an alignment guide for the desoldering tip.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I have used a solder sucker several times with success, however it's an all-metal one and nice quality.

Purchased from Dick Smith, they don't sell spare tips but Farnell does.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

exactly. solder suckers that are not all metal are trash. the ones that are are nice.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X