Philips 50pfp5332d/37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 50pfp5332d/37

This TV is for sale. The seller has been told it requires a recalibration for $100, and the set is priced accordingly. I have not seen the set personally.

Looking at the picture, I see 7 black vertical lines; the seller confirms they are present. It is hard to tell from teh picture, but the screen also looks very washed out. Is this on the control card, or is this a driver problem, or would I have to look elsewhere?

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Re: Philips 50pfp5332d/37

logic board (the central board) that has many ribbons attached and two cables one for power and LVDS signal (video). This one is behind the mainboard box on the panel itself.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
      logic board (the central board) that has many ribbons attached and two cables one for power and LVDS signal (video). This one is behind the mainboard box on the panel itself.

Cheers, Wizard
      Thanks, Wizard.

In other words, this one.

PlainBill
      Attached Files
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yes that is logic board, PlainBill.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

It would be a peach if it's just the 4 caps...
          veritas odium parit

Comment

No. Logic board is hard failure. Lines in the picture proves otherwise. One of address lines internal to the logic board failed. Think of a flat panel as grid of X and Y and on that X row have bunch of chips and all are tied in parallel as a bus. Ditto to Y row of chips. One of bus line is dead produces this pin stripes.

This is arranged this way since you can't have one *giant* chip with 800 even 1,500, let alone 2,000 (1920 plus bus and power/ground) pins fanning out to all the lines, also issues of timing issues just with one chip. Also all the that traces fannning out, the board would be very wide. Instead, it is done with multiple chips and put on shared bus.

Also cannot be a BGA IC as you need to seal it against HV arc overs, notice the RTV-ed goo all around all the exposed pins on Y-buffer board, same with Z address drive chips (bonded and sealed tape chips). Spikes of over 200V, normal running of 50-70V pulses on a plasma panel.

Cheers, Wizard
            Last edited by Wizard; 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
              No. Logic board is hard failure. Lines in the picture proves otherwise. One of address lines internal to the logic board failed. Think of a flat panel as grid of X and Y and on that X row have bunch of chips and all are tied in parallel as a bus. Ditto to Y row of chips. One of bus line is dead produces this pin stripes.

This is arranged this way since you can't have one *giant* chip with 800 even 1,500, let alone 2,000 (1920 plus bus and power/ground) pins fanning out to all the lines, also issues of timing issues just with one chip. Also all the that traces fannning out, the board would be very wide. Instead, it is done with multiple chips and put on shared bus.

Also cannot be a BGA IC as you need to seal it against HV arc overs, notice the RTV-ed goo all around all the exposed pins on Y-buffer board, same with Z address drive chips (bonded and sealed tape chips). Spikes of over 200V, normal running of 50-70V pulses on a plasma panel.

Cheers, Wizard
              Wizard, I'd hoped to give you my total thanks for this, but it tuurns out I have another question. As you suggested, I replaced the control board. The first picture is the TV in normal operation, the second is the same screen as the original picture above. If you look carefully, on the second picture you can see 7 vertical white lines (one runs between the r and d of 'standard').

I am guessing the TV was used for an extended period of time with the black lines running down the screen, and only after it became totally unwatchable was it put up for sale. Am I correct in assuming there is nothing that can be done about those lines?

In any case, thanks for the assistance. Your advice is always appreciated.

PlainBill
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, I sure don't have the expertise of Wizard, but assuming all internal problems with the circuity have been fixed, and assuming the white lines have 'some' color/changing capabilities... I would guess it is simply burn. Especially since it's a plasma.

If the lines were totally black, (like as those lines weren't receiving any signal) than over an extended period of time, the rest of the TV would 'wear' as the display was being used... however, because the black lines weren't receiving any signal, they would not be as worn, creating a difference in color, brightness etc. This is what is creating the white lines down the display.

You could check in the settings to see if Philips has a 'whitewash' function, but if it does not, you still have options.

First, you could simply display a white images for several hours on the screen. (similar to the whitewash function).

Or you could use something like this: http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

If you read that page, it should explain everything better than I can.

So in conclusion, there's still a chance you can fix those lines yet!

Hope this helps!
                Last edited by tillwhompson; 06-05-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tillwhompson
                  Well, I sure don't have the expertise of Wizard, but assuming all internal problems with the circuity have been fixed, and assuming the white lines have 'some' color/changing capabilities... I would guess it is simply burn. Especially since it's a plasma.

If the lines were totally black, (like as those lines weren't receiving any signal) than over an extended period of time, the rest of the TV would 'wear' as the display was being used... however, because the black lines weren't receiving any signal, they would not be as worn, creating a difference in color, brightness etc. This is what is creating the white lines down the display.

You could check in the settings to see if Philips has a 'whitewash' function, but if it does not, you still have options.

First, you could simply display a white images for several hours on the screen. (similar to the whitewash function).

Or you could use something like this: http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

If you read that page, it should explain everything better than I can.

So in conclusion, there's still a chance you can fix those lines yet!

Hope this helps!
                  Not a chance. I sold the set a couple of months ago. I doubt the buyer will allow me to come out and fix a problem he can't even see.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                  X