Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Ok. Are you currently at the no power condition lockout? LG emblem dim lit. Remote power button causes flashing LG emblem. Power on tv does nothing.

You should not have to do anything except for get yourself out of power only mode.
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 10:14 PM.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

What happens new use the power_only command? What should happen is about an 8 second paus after I hear the initial relay click.

After the 8 seconds you should see the screen power up. This is where you see the command for in start?

On the main board since you have a UA main board, Behind the metal shield, There is a push button. Once you power up the TV using the power only command immediately hold down this button.

This is in a sense an E prom hard reset
      Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

And also the tcon that I am running from the UB is from a BUSZLJR, On a UA main board and panel for a AUSZLJR.

I have never yet tried the UB main board in the UA set. I figured I would this leave well enough alone. I still have the other O LED with the cracked screen sitting here with the boards in it.

Of course I can only vouch for what I know about this 55 inch panel, this 65 inch may be a completely different beast
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Right, normal power button from remote causes flashing emblem, power button on the tv doesn't do anything. The power-only command gives me the click, and this picture pops up. If I follow the instructions for user mode, a white screen pops up, and my tv shuts off.
          Attached Files

Comment

does the shield come off the main board easily enough?

Comment

Yes this is the message that I got as well after I used power_only. The only difference is I did not have the 2nd sentence about in stop mode. What I did is I Turn off the TV by the remote without hitting exit unplugged the TV plugged it back in and then hit power and that message disappeared

Only difference is my message was a black Box floating around a white screen.

I never hit the exit button on the remote at any time when I saw that message though. I got this message a few times every time you lock out the system and force started with the power only mode this seems to pop up

Comment

As for the metal panel it's pretty straight forward you have to remove some screws that hold the main board on to the TV's frame once he remove the screws from the metal shield you can press together the tab clips and the metal shield will slowly pop away. Underneath that shield there is a button for a hard reset

Comment

I hit power to get out of the message, then I unplugged/replugged. It succeeded in giving me the click when I turned it on with the normal remote, and actually gave me an input picture and then turned off.

I'll give the button-reset a try this weekend. Thanks for the help

Comment

Ok. I would also check the LVDS cables. They require I2C feedback from tcon to mainboard. If this is not there the mainboard will shutdown. This is because OLED uses high current through the tcon and if mainboard is not happy with the signals sent back to it, it thinks there's a short. Then shutdown.

All eeprom related. There is an eeprom on the tcon and one on the mainboard for serial communications.
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I think the LVDS cables are fine. The original cables worked earlier today and the shorter-configuration cables worked too.

I just took the shield off the UB main board I have sitting here, and I see two buttons. Are there two on the UA? If so, which is which?

Comment

No there's only one button on the UA. The one the UA has us for.resetting the serial I2C communications buffer. The UB has an extra button near the bottom. This acts as a power cycle only. The UA has pads there but no button even though I've shorted the pads before to achieve the power cycle.
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Your original UA tcon is the one with the cables in the opposite locations? Longer power cables and longer LVDS? Also has 2 big ALTERA processors on it?

If so this is the tcon I received with my new panel, even thoughh the board was defective. That's why I utilized the UB tcon from the smashed screen UB OLED I picked up on the UA panel. So I know that works.
                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-25-2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                            Your original UA tcon is the one with the cables in the opposite locations? Longer power cables and longer LVDS? Also has 2 big ALTERA processors on it?
                            Yes, that's my original (and who on earth thought it'd be a good idea to put all the connectors on the opposite sides?)

If so this is the tcon I received with my new panel, even thoughh the board was defective. That's why I utilized the UB tcon from the smashed screen UB OLED I picked up on the UA panel. So I know that works.
                            The UB T-Con I got works with my UA board as well, but I was getting the crummy picture (at this point not sure if that was the T-Con or the main board).

It's worth noting that if you look at the three UA suffix parts lists on encompass, the OLED Module (the panel) p/n is the same for the two suffixes with "opposite side" UA T-con boards. But the "same side" UA suffix has a different p/n, and that p/n is the same as the UB models. Given that, I was worried the T-Con wouldn't work, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

Im not too sure why the hell LG used this particular tcon with inputs on oppisite sides. It seems like a nice tcon, but I never got to see it work.

I dont believe there is any differences within the panel electronics between the UA and UB, just the driving signals. No matter what, HDR mode or not the max you will recieve is about 450 nits max. The newer panels (B,C,D,E) about 600 nits. But doesn't bother me.

BTW the tcon is responsible for the vertical ghosting bars, these are called "vignetting".. This happens because the tcon is responsible for controlling independant voltage to each column driver on the panel. I had this on mine and after a few days, it disappeared, due to the tcon "learning" the panel. Each OLED panel is manufactured differently, and the inherent properties of the OLED lighting system is complex to the point that it needs precise input voltage to each column, any increase will cause light imbalances.

The reason you may have had such a poor picture, is due to this.
                              Your replacement tcon was still "learned or taught" to the old panel it was connected to.
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Im not too sure why the hell LG used this particular tcon with inputs on oppisite sides. It seems like a nice tcon, but I never got to see it work.

I dont believe there is any differences within the panel electronics between the UA and UB, just the driving signals. No matter what, HDR mode or not the max you will recieve is about 450 nits max. The newer panels (B,C,D,E) about 600 nits. But doesn't bother me.

BTW the tcon is responsible for the vertical ghosting bars, these are called "vignetting".. This happens because the tcon is responsible for controlling independant voltage to each column driver on the panel. I had this on mine and after a few days, it disappeared, due to the tcon "learning" the panel. Each OLED panel is manufactured differently, and the inherent properties of the OLED lighting system is complex to the point that it needs precise input voltage to each column, any increase will cause light imbalances.

The reason you may have had such a poor picture, is due to this.
                                Your replacement tcon was still "learned or taught" to the old panel it was connected to.
                                Good to know it was the T-Con. It actually looked like it had some burn-in too in one corner, but I couldn't quite make out what was in the square. Do you think the screen would "correct" itself after a few hours like yours did earlier in the thread?

So a different T-Con might get rid of the vignetting on my screen? Despite promises that the black on the right and left edges during dark scenes would go away with use, they never did.

Comment

Well with a different tcon, the voltage indifference will be higher in some columns, lower in others. IMHO, and this is just my theory, what you see on the screen as to "burn in", is due to the fact that your panel is in fact image retention or burned in that area, you must watch something with that right top area being used. Like a channel image from the station you watch the most.

You would see this with the brightness level turned up on your original tcon as well.

The screen only corrects short term image retention. This is achieved after 4 to 8 hrs use nonstop. When you turn off the tv after this, you will notice that the "click" from the power supply doesn't happen. This is when the screen goes through this process.
                                  Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

This might seem like a rather basic question, but I just don't know the answer (and I wasn't thinking about it when I put everything back together): Does it matter which direction the cables between the Power Supply board and the T-Con are facing? The connectors are the same on either end, but it occurs to me I never paid attention to the orientation of the colored wires (or whether the blue was on top or bottom vs the rest of the gray wires).

Comment

Im not sure.. They have a clip at one end, and I always went with the way they were formed or bent around to place them where thaey belong.. I believe blue is DRV_ON so I left them in the same position. I wouldnt put them in backwards, as some wires are smaller guaged than others.

Edit: No it doesn't matter. They cannot be placed backwards. The clip doesn't allow it..
                                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-26-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Im not sure.. They have a clip at one end, and I always went with the way they were formed or bent around to place them where thaey belong.. I believe blue is DRV_ON so I left them in the same position. I wouldnt put them in backwards, as some wires are smaller guaged than others.
                                        Yeah, I'm just thinking off the top of my head that I might have put them in backwards because I wasn't thinking about whether there was a right or wrong way, and whether that's causing my current issues.

But since you mentioned it, I do recall hooking them up based on the way they were formed.

Comment

So is your set working now? With your UA board and UB tcon? If so, I would suggest running it for a few days without slapping it back together just in case my theory is incorrect, and the picture does not straighten out.

And when you mentioned half panel was black, was this left/right or top/bottom w the UB mainboard and UB tcon? And your UA nainboard produces a full image with the same UB tcon installed?
                                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X