Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help: Sony KDL-46W4100 Video Problems STRANGE

Hello,

I have a Sony KDL-46W4100 lcd television that I have been experiencing trouble with.

Here are the symptoms:

When the television is turned on, I can get audio and video for approximately 8 seconds, then the audio and video go black for approximately 6 seconds, then the audio and video resume for another 8 seconds. This occurs in an endless loop.

When the audio and video go black, the backlight stays on.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I have replaced the power supply with a known, good working, board. This did not change the problem.

I have replaced the main board with 2 separate used main boards that were supposed to be good. However when I replace the main board, I completely lose ALL video. The audio, however, continues and the 8/6 reset loop vanishes.

The first time I replaced the main board, I chalked it up to having received a bad board. I was sent another board as a replacement, but this board exhibits the same problem... i.e. No Video, Audio OK.

*** If I reinstall the ORIGINAL main board, I get my video and audio back. The video looks fine, but the 8/6 reset loop returns. ****

I am running out of patience for this set. I have noticed that the Tcon Board in my set is a 404652ASNC6LV3.7 which I assume means version 3.7 of the board. Replacement Tcon boards of 404652ASNC6LV4.5 (Version 4.5?) are widely available.

The main boards have identical numbers with a small exception.

For instance, the orginal board has the following numbers on the barcoded label:

A1506072B 80422 2102
    B62384 298C 22 10

One of the replacement boards I received has these numbers:
    A1506072B 80412 565
    861983 298B 42 09

The other replacement board has the same A1506072B number, with again different numbers in the remaining sections.

The boards are all identical in appearance.

At this junction, should I be looking at a Tcon issue? Perhaps the replacement main boards are at a different firmware revision than the original main board and the version 3.7 tcon is not compatible with 4.5 commands?

It seems highly unlikely that I have received 2 defective main boards when both have been tested, verified working and are from 2 separate vendors.

I have also tested both power supply boards with each main board. The results are the same.

The only other board left to replace in this set is the TCON, but I am done throwing money at the probelm if I cannot assure myself it will solve it.

I'm hoping someone can assist me before I go nuts. Thank You.

Re: Please Help: Sony KDL-46W4100 Video Problems STRANGE

You could monitor your t-con voltage and see if it is dropping out. You may have two problems. With no audio sounds like mainboard. With audio and no picture sounds like t-con.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Have you tried re-installing the firmware? It might just be a firmware glitch.

Comment

I haven't tried reinstalling the firmware. The place I purchased the 2nd main board from is mailing me the TCON from the same set on Monday to test out.

Comment

Updated the firmware just now. No change in results. Only testing the one board for now until the new Tcon arrives.

Comment

** Bump - Information & 2 new questions **

OK. I have tried two separate main boards. Both eliminate the endless reboot sequence, but yield only audio, no video.

I had a replacement Tcon arrive today, but unfortunately it was not the correct version and as such was incompatible with this set. I am now waiting for the correct tcon to arrive.

Could the Tcon still be bad even if it will display perfect video (for 8 seconds) when connected to the original main board?

What are the odds of receiving two main boards with the identical problem (audio, no video) ?

Trying to rule things out on this set.

Thanks all.

Comment

You could try removing one ribbon cable at a time and see what that does.

Comment

Update 5.25.17

I received another Tcon board today. This one had both identical board numbers as well as identical series number (K2151J)

My initial test was my control test.
                (Original Power Supply, Original Main Board, Original Tcon)

Results: Video and Audio function. I get approximately 8 seconds of A/V followed by a reset period of approximately 6 seconds. This occurs in an endless loop and is the original problem I'm attempting to correct.

For my 2nd test, I changed only the Tcon to the new board I received. Result was Audio, No video. Backlight is coming on. Tcon voltage is verified and constant.

Subsequent tests involved changing the power supply board, and trying two additional main boards I have. I also attempted, as dskall suggested, disconnecting one Tcon ribbon at a time with no change in results.

During all tests, voltage remains constant to the Tcon however no video is displayed on the screen.

I have contacted the individual I purchased the tcon from to see if it was tested and verified working prior to being put up for sale. I am awaiting that response.

My gut tells me I received a defective Tcon, however since the original Tcon board will display video and display the video correctly, I am leaning towards the original Tcon board being fine.

Again, what are the chances that I received two replacement main boards both with a no video / audio ok condition?

I'm to the point that I am honestly about to conclude the TV is possessed by a demon. That's the only logical solution at this time since I have replaced all 3 boards.

Hoping someone can give me a hand. Thanks.

Comment

If you disconnect t-con does it still cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                    If you disconnect t-con does it still cycle?
                    Yes, it continues to cycle. Audio plays for approximately 8 seconds followed by approximately 6 seconds of silence.

This is with the both connections going to the tcon disconnected.

Comment

But it stops cycling with different mainboard?

Comment

Yes, with both replacement main boards I have received the cycling issue goes away. Audio runs continuously just as it should.

Comment

Backlights? Image on screen?

Comment

Backlights are on even during the cycling phase.

Backlights are on with tcon disconnected.

No image on screen with tcon disconnected.

Comment

You fixed the cycling problem. The backlights and audio work. You are now just missing your video?
                              You will have no image with t-con disconnected.
                              Last edited by dskall; 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

scoping the lvds signals would be great right now. any chance you have access to one?
                                WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

Had a Sony once with backlight on for a few seconds.
                                  Turned out the tcon had a bad surface mount fuse.
                                  Check it out, hope thats it!

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                                    You fixed the cycling problem. The backlights and audio work. You are now just missing your video?
                                    You will have no image with t-con disconnected.
                                    With the two questionable replacement main boards, the cycling issue goes away. Backlights and audio are functioning 100% correctly. I simply have no video with either the original Tcon (That will display perfect video when connected to the original board) or the replacement Tcon I received today.

Comment

Originally posted by attainteddragon View Post
                                      scoping the lvds signals would be great right now. any chance you have access to one?
                                      My scope is old. I use it primarily for RF alignment purposes when dealing with two-way communications equipment. It is a Phillips PM3217 50Mhz scope. Not sure that's going to be beneficial to me with this project.

Comment

You can scope the differential pairs and you will get a mirrored pattern on each pair and you will at least know if maim is sending out data.

Comment

Working...
                                        X