Vizio E552VLE powers up, only displays vizio screen then goes black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E552VLE powers up, only displays vizio screen then goes black

I'm new here and I have a limited understanding of electronics, but thought I would give it my best shot at repairing this TV. Seeking some conformation to what I think I have figured out. A little background on the TV. I got it from a lady for $25, she said it works sometimes and sometimes not, she said there was a power spike and then it stopped working, not all of the HDMI ports work. I bought it without plugging it in (I know, My wife told me I was dumb for that) I get it home clean it up (blew out all the dust) plugged it up and I got vertical lines. I unplugged it and plugged it back in (Vizio lights up orange) I push the power button the Vizio light on the front goes to white. I wait a few seconds and the Vizio logo appears on the LCD panel. SWEET.... well not really, that's all it would do. I had to unplug it to shut it off ( no buttons work on the side panel ) Took it to my shop and pulled the back off, looked at the power supply and main logic board for obvious Signs of failure, and I found non. I got out my meter and started checking voltages, all the correct voltages are coming out of the power supply. I noticed a high pitch sequel coming from the main board. I left it for a day and came back to it. I checked 2 voltage regulators UP14 and UP13?? they are 1117c 1.2 ( adjustable ??) I started pushing down on the top of UP13 with one of the leads from my meter and the squeal would change pitch. I measured the voltage going into it 3.3vdc and then the adjustment pin appeared to have a short to ground. 3.3vdc on the input leg 0vdc on center leg and 0vdc on adjustment pin. I soldered it from the main board and have 5 on order ($5 bucks with shipping) now with it all hooked up and no regulator on the main board, I have no voltage on the 5Amp fuse on the primary side of the power supply. my questions are based off of what I have already read in other posts.

1) will that voltage regulator being bad cause what I am seeing?
    2) will that voltage regulator cause the HDMI ports not to work?
    3) Did I short the power supply out but removing that regulator? (I plugged it in after I removed the regulator)

There are a tone of really smart people here, looking for some help, as well as learning more about electronics

Re: Vizio E552VLE powers up, only displays vizio screen then goes black

"1117c 1.2" that indicated 1.2V Fixed. Pictures of these 1117 to verify for sure?
    I wonder if the board mounting screws may not be tight and causes bad GND connection to the chassis or you have bad connections on the board.
    Last edited by budm; 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Last edited by SDeuce; 12-02-2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

pitch has to do with voltage power supply . When the power supply is cycling up it is in low enough frequency for the human ear to hear . It catching up to the rest of the board once it has enough juice in the compacitors the sound will dissipate. This perfectly normal this sound . If you say your getting correct voltages out . Start testing for voltages at the wires going to lamps . Is there voltage? Try to see if voltage spike when u see the vizio logo and If u see light behind panel.

Comment

pitch has to do with voltage power supply . When the power supply is cycling up it is in low enough frequency for the human ear to hear . It catching up to the rest of the board once it has enough juice in the compacitors the sound will dissipate.This perfectly normal this sound . If you say your getting correct voltages out . Start testing for voltages at the wires going to lamps . Is there voltage? Try to see if voltage spike when u see the vizio logo and If u see light behind panel.

Comment

I was getting voltage into the regulator, and nothing coming out. The lights in the back stay lit the whole time, however the white vizio light on the front does flicker somewhat but never goes out.

Comment

The voltage regulator (UP13) fixed the TV.
              I have 2 vertical lines on the very edge of the screen.. Left line is red right is blue. They fade out and come back.. I did have to remove the ribbon cables to the main board, is that a posability I don't have it seated right? Component on the Tcom board?

[/URL][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
              X