Panasonic P50G25 buzzing.. fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic P50G25 buzzing.. fix?

I just had the TNPA5081 fixed (trying to revive my dad's broken Panasonic P50G25), and now I've realized it has a MAJOR buzz issue. Very loud buzzing, unfortunately I'm not sure if it had this issue before or if this was new.

I've read two solutions, one is fixing a crack in a coil (I think that's what it said)... but that's beyond my technical knowledge. The other possible solution is putting washers on all the board screws. Has anybody had success with this? If so, does anyone know what kind of washers to use?

Re: Panasonic P50G25 buzzing.. fix?

Originally posted by maxiedaniels View Post
    I just had the TNPA5081 fixed (trying to revive my dad's broken Panasonic P50G25), and now I've realized it has a MAJOR buzz issue. Very loud buzzing, unfortunately I'm not sure if it had this issue before or if this was new.

I've read two solutions, one is fixing a crack in a coil (I think that's what it said)... but that's beyond my technical knowledge. The other possible solution is putting washers on all the board screws. Has anybody had success with this? If so, does anyone know what kind of washers to use?
    The original screws should be fine as they have washers and spring washers. I guess it's possible for the resin on the 2 coils to fracture and resonate, you'd have to inspect.

But I'd recheck the boards bolts, make sure they're nipped up and That all the bolts are there.

Never struck this except when I have been testing and left bolts out or they were not tight.

I did read a long time ago of a batch of PSU transformers with fractured cores that caused buzzing but you should be able to pinpoint the board.

It's normal to get some faint buzzing but I would not expect to hear it unless you're right up against the TV with the Vol down.
    Last edited by tw2005; 08-23-2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Most of the screws don't have washers on mine.

The buzzing seems to be coming from at least three places, I'll check again tomorrow though.

Comment

Most of the screws don't have washers on mine.

The buzzing seems to be coming from at least three places, I'll check again tomorrow though.
        That's unusual then. Owned from new?

they should be of this type

Comment

Yeah owned from new. From reading online, it sounds like the older model (I think 2010?) didn't have as many washers installed which is why it has more problems with buzzing... I'm pretty confident the TV was never worked on until I opened it recently to get the TNPA5081 board fixed.

Comment

Yeah owned from new. From reading online, it sounds like the older model (I think 2010?) didn't have as many washers installed which is why it has more problems with buzzing... I'm pretty confident the TV was never worked on until I opened it recently to get the TNPA5081 board fixed.
            2011 on definitely had major issues with the wrong type and working loose.

Yours is a 2010 as is one of mine.

this is what the service manual specifies. I don't know all the abbreviations but Sc has 7 and the same are used on the P, SS and SD/SU

THTF016J SCREW, P:9 SC:7 SS:8 SUSD:3 CMMT:4

Anyway, I've got the same generation TV, maybe different factory, different hardware but I'm curious if you can put an image up.

They should all the the same type on those boards mentioned but definitely washers and spring washers are a good idea. Don't change the bolt lengths though, I read recently of someone saying they put a bolt through the PDP and cracked it from behind using a bolt too long.

Comment

Okay, just kidding - I checked, the washers are just smaller than I thought. I tried retightening all the screws, didn't help the buzzing.

I took a few pictures, not sure what I'm looking for though. Did your 2010 have buzzing? If so, what fixed it?

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi0xwyciu...wN5V70Mda?dl=0
              Last edited by maxiedaniels; 08-25-2016, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Okay, just kidding - I checked, the washers are just smaller than I thought. I tried retightening all the screws, didn't help the buzzing.

I took a few pictures, not sure what I'm looking for though. Did your 2010 have buzzing? If so, what fixed it?

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi0xwyciu...wN5V70Mda?dl=0
                No , never. Only with a loose board testing. Generally there's always some faint buzz with operation but you would not hear it watching TV.
                I have no other suggestions other than loose screws. You will have to try and narrow it down. Maybe get a wooden spoon and just touch things or mount points and see if it goes away or changes tone if it's a real issue and loud.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                  Maybe get a wooden spoon and just touch things or mount points and see if it goes away or changes tone if it's a real issue and loud.
                  No dice. Not sure what to do. Damn. Suppose I'll have to sell it as-is then.

Comment

check for cracked solder joints on in the inverters or other heavy objects on the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by culcuhain View Post
                      check for cracked solder joints on in the inverters or other heavy objects on the boards.

I'm not very knowledgable about these circuits, what are the inverters going to look like? And if I find cracks, can I just drop a little solder ontop or would I need to clean off the existing solder and reapply entirely?

Comment

It's a plasma,no inverters.
                        I use a cardboard kitchen paper thing and hold it against my ear while scanning the board to pin point noises. These tv's are kinda buzzy,with cover on and sitting in front at normal distance you won't hear it.
                        Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by martino View Post
                          It's a plasma,no inverters.
                          I use a cardboard kitchen paper thing and hold it against my ear while scanning the board to pin point noises. These tv's are kinda buzzy,with cover on and sitting in front at normal distance you won't hear it.
                          This is insanely loud though. I can hear it quite loudly from across the room, and it gets much louder when the screen has more white (or bright?) colors on it.

I'll try the cardboard roll idea, good thinking. If I find where the noise is specifically coming from though, does that mean it's an issue with something directly in that area?

Comment

I wonder if its worth checking all the voltages match the panel sticker i guess if these wrong it may cause a buzz?

Comment

Working...
                            X