Vertical Lines and Black Screen on Samsung HPT5064X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Lines and Black Screen on Samsung HPT5064X

hello. my mom's HPT5064X is giving her problems and i asked her to bring it to me to see if i can get it fixed.

i turned it on and quickly saw some vertical lines and the image was a little distorted aswell. but then the tv quickly went completely dark black. so i kept turning it off and on and nothing. so i said "ok i'll leave it unplugged and try again tommorrow". however now i just went to check and it still stays dark. the tv turns on normally since i can hear it turn on, however it just stays completely black and using the remote to go to menu or change sources does nothing.

what can the problem be or is this completely unrepairable?

Edit:

i also opened it up and checked all the capacitors (common problem on these old Samsung HDTVs) and all the capacitors still look brand new and working so i know i don't have to replace the capacitors yet.

Re: Vertical Lines and Black Screen on Samsung HPT5064X

Can you post some pictures of the boards?

Black lines and distorted image is either lcd failure or a bad t-con.

Use a flashlight and see if you can see an image on the screen. Can be the backlight thats failing also.
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

thanks for the quick reply.

i used the flashlight and still got nothing on the screen.

as for the boards they all look fine nothing appears to be burned or anything from what i can see but i can take some pics if you still need me to.

Comment

bump

Comment

Fellas, you can forget the flashlight. It's a plasma TV.

Common issues are power supply faults, like bad joints on the Va and Vs FETs or they actually end up blowing , going short and the fuse will be gone too.

Or and potentially since you say lines and distortion , now nothing. The upper buffer board shorts, often the ICs burn and it's visisible and the Ymain board usually goes with it and the 88N30W FETs are shorted and sometimes more.

It's a pretty old Samsung and you'd be lucky to find boards, maybe get them repaired but probably not an economical choice.

Try searching the model or board numbers. there were plenty of models that had the same boards, same faults, sound, no picture.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
            Fellas, you can forget the flashlight. It's a plasma TV.

Common issues are power supply faults, like bad joints on the Va and Vs FETs or they actually end up blowing , going short and the fuse will be gone too.

Or and potentially since you say lines and distortion , now nothing. The upper buffer board shorts, often the ICs burn and it's visisible and the Ymain board usually goes with it and the 88N30W FETs are shorted and sometimes more.

It's a pretty old Samsung and you'd be lucky to find boards, maybe get them repaired but probably not an economical choice.

Try searching the model or board numbers. there were plenty of models that had the same boards, same faults, sound, no picture.

ok so how do i find it which of the boards is the problem?

they all look fine to me and nothing looks burned on them.

is the tv repairable?

cuz my mom wants to call like 3 different tv repairman and i told her to wait to see what i could do.

Comment

Perhaps you should read some of the "plasma tutorials" on this site...to get an idea of how a PDP works..

LIKELY...you have a Y-sustain issue or buffer boards or BOTH. OVER 70% of ALL PDP problems end up on these boards. Not too mention too often ONE will kill the OTHER. In the days when these sets were NEW..we were OFTEN asked to replace ALL of the "scan boards" as a SET__Y sus, bufers and Z or X sus(depending on what the MFG called it) .. NOW ..one has to narrow it DOWN..

If you are NOT getting you VS voltage to the Y sus board--THAT Is likely the problem...but MAYBE not ALONE.

Look for larger transistors on sinks on this baord. (either MOSFET or IGBTS' ) and see if ANY are shorted. ALSO..if you see a large black square thing under a large sink--that is called an "IPM MODULE" and they OFTEN go bad..) There ARE new ones on ebay...BUT they are NOT easy for even a PRO to remove.. SO get a rebuilder if your set uses these...on Ebay once again.

SOME PICTURES of the boards might help ehre...
              Last edited by RCA2000; 02-24-2016, 04:53 PM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

that all sounds complicated and me and her both agree that if it gets too complicated to not bother wasting our time when a brand new 43" 1080p HDTV start at like $250 for LG, Sony, etc..

we already said we are never buying Samsung ever again(we bought 5 Samsung HDTVs over the last 7 years) because this is the second Samsung we have issues with (my 46" Samsung had bad caps and i was able to somewhat fix it) so if she calls the tv repair guys and tell us any price that is too high we will just buy a new set.
                Last edited by wilmer007; 02-24-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

No no ! Why trash it you have not even bothered with it yet ! Upload some images of the fault please.
                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

sorry i haven't responded right away. i was waiting for the voltimeter to arrive to do some testing on the tv. here's 3 pics of the y board. two of the capacitors appear to be leaking and not blown yet, so those have to do replaced but they don't appear to be the issue because the tv wouldn't even stay turned on if it was a capacitor issue.

the board itself looks fine though. nothing else out looks out of place.

Comment

Watch this might be a bit if help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQ--2SZdyY
                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                        Watch this might be a bit if help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQ--2SZdyY
                        i'm still confused.

i'm a complete newbie when it comes to fixing a tv. it was hard enough just to figure out that the other tv was failing because of bad caps and i had my dad solder the caps in and we somewhat fixed it as that one still acts up every once a while and have to unplug for it for a few hours for it to fix itself.

i think the best thing for us to do is to take the boards to a local shop and have them look at everything and give us a price estimate to repair these boards before we decide if fixing this tv is worth or simply just buying a brand new set that is not brand samsung.

cuz i have no clue what to look for or how to fix. and i don't wanna risk getting shocked with the tv plugged in trying to check the voltages and stuff just to save a few bucks.

the only thing i was able to do was check the two fuses (one on the Power Supply and the other on the Y board) and they both read around 0.06 so they are not blown.
                        Last edited by wilmer007; 03-04-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

took it to a local shop for a free diagnostic and they said it was the tube. i'm guessing he meant like the lcd screen perhaps. anyways he said the part is not available so i guess we have to get a new tv.

Comment

Working...
                          X