Sony KDL-52W5100 Bad Panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-52W5100 Bad Panel?

When the KDL-52W5100 first started to have problems the lower 3/4 of the right side of the TV screen had slow response times then the entire lower 3/4 of the screen was beyond slow and a huge blur. I have taken this TV apart and checked the tabs with no response so it's not the bonding there. I have access to an extra main board with no change when replaced. My brother (the owner of the TV) bought another T-Con board and the problem stayed the same when changed, that T-Con board was sourced from ebay and returned. I read that the serial number on the T-Con board is important but i never seen the ebay T-Con board.

I have 4 pictures and i would like to note that in the picture of the T-Con board has a red square around one of the ICs that when spayed with cold it took the TV from the lower 3/4 blur to a very distinct line with shadowing and no latency problems. The TV has stayed an not returned to it's blur even after being on for a while. The other 3 are with both of the of the flat tabs from the T-Con being connected and alternating left one still connected only then right only.

I would like to know if anyone thinks this TV has hope and doesn't have a bad LCD panel?
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-52W5100 Bad Panel?

This is a bad panel.
    See here for potential fix, no guarantees:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=49281&page=2
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have read that post a few times now to try to understand the method used by Freak. I know that the models are completely different but all LCDs have many things in common. I am trying to apply the directions that Freak explained, but before performing any sort of surgery but i don't believe this Sony has any sort of side PCB. I think the only PCB that are connected to tabs are the top 2 that also connect to the T-Con. When i read what Freak posted it sounds like that Vizio has PCB with tabs on more than one side of the TV?

Am i missing something major here?

Comment

I wouldn't attempt this kind of operation on this particular TV I believe you only have vertical tab drivers and also your model does not incorporate a Sharp LCD panel. This method was specifically for Sharp LCD panels using side tab drivers. Your problem is most likely a vertical tab driver failure

However as Tom stated I could be wrong and this kind of fix may apply to other particular model panel manufacturers as well if you have side drivers on both sides of the panel. However I do not believe your TV incorporates the circuit boards attached to the side drivers so there is no quick disconnect for say. So you would only be going on guessing alone or if you can really see damage to one of the drivers you could then attempt to remove it and see if youre problem clears up
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-07-2015, 12:48 PM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have taken the TV completely apart and i had no response to any sort of physical contact with any of the tabs side horizontal or vertical. I think changes when contacting the tabs indicates bonding issues. Is there any other way to trouble shoot the drivers on the tabs other than removing them?

There are side tabs connected to the panel just no PCB.
          Last edited by Mongor62; 10-07-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

You could try a can of freeze spray on the side tabs and vertical tabs while operating to see if something changes. Be advised that do not run the TV for too long with the metal frame off the panel as the tabs will overheat and self destruct.

If you don't have access to freeze spray you can of compressed air and turn it upside down

Comment

Do you have tabs on both the left and right of the panel?
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I do have tabs on both sides of the panel. What would be the next step if freeze spay did fix it for the temporary time of lower temperature?

Comment

I tried the freeze spay on the tabs and nothing helped, the TV stayed the same. I don't know if it matters but the TV loads up without problem (says Bravia and then the input), it is only after it loads the input (HDMI, TV, and so on) that the line shows up.

I know i said it before but when the T-Con board was sprayed with freeze spay it changed the picture alot. Should i source another T-Con board?

Here are a few pics of the tabs
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. The faults in your pictures look just like a panel problem. If you say that the t-con board is changing the picture when you spray it yes go ahead and try to source another t-con board. It wouldn't hurt

Comment

Here is my reservation about getting another TCON. The spot(line) where it starts to shadow that you see now is the same spot but what is below that spot has changed dramatically.

Comment

Looking at the images you originally posted, my guess would be the earth or power line of the tab bond chip second down on the right side has a broken track just before the chip and when you feed both sides, earthing or power is complete through the panel back up to that chip through a different path that unfortunately has a higher impedance. More likely earth than power though.

There were posts on youtube regards cabling around broken tracks like this on Sony panels (32 inch 3000 series). It involved running a cable to a test point near the side tab bond chip from the main panel pcb, jumping over the open circuit track. Note: I'm not saying the following is a cure for yours, just that others have had to work out the tracks and test points to cure similar issues.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUXEo4AlVaY
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TccQ2PQpyKQ

Comment

Working...
                        X