e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

you might be able to spot the bad tab driver(s) by looking at them for "hints of abnormal heating". That reduces the guessing and potentially "burning" your tcon. As indicated, if you power up with bad drivers, the tcon could take the hit... if you are fast with disconnecting the power during the testing (ie. disconnecting the small lower corner cables on the panel edge boards), you can prevent the tcon from failing during your testing.

Comment

Re: e701i-a3 has horizontal black line just starting

I realize this is probably a sign that this Vizio is going to go black on me..........my line is on the left side of the screen (facing the set) and fades going to the right. How do I know which side drivers to pull.............seems its always the right side but my black line is showing on the left side of the screen........just confused on that point...since my screen isn't all black or blue
      thanks you guys have done a great service to everyone who bought these junkers

Comment

Never mind........took 1.5 hours from start to finish and worked perfectly. Left side of a vizio 70 showed a black line but worked otherwise...........removing the drivers eliminated the lines.
        Nice Job guys

Comment

I just got this new modified t-con in and was wondering if the added component might be a fix for these. It looks like a resistor.

Comment

What does this look like to you guys? Did everything everyone has been doing with replacing the tcon and removing right broads as seen on freaks video. Help would be greatly appreciated!
            Attached Files

Comment

Are all ribbons plugged in and seated correctly at the tcon ?

Comment

Yes everything is seated correctly. I'm hoping it's not a panel issue!

Comment

do yourself and the forum a "favor", feed in a known "test pattern" (get one off a dvd or something... color bars or something like that). Take another picture and we can go from there.

Comment

I use this for test pattern:
                    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...itor_test.html
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hello Folks,

I have been reading this thread over and over for the past week in hopes of fixing an e701i-a3 that I purchased on craigslist for $40. Just observing what has transpired in this thread it is truly awesome how willing everyone is to help each other. Shout out to Freakaftr8, Budwich, TJMethod, Mmartell, and Tom66, you all are great people.

Long story short I followed the steps described on here, ran the necessary tests - replaced the T-CON board - and removed the right display drivers. The TV is back to almost full working order with the exception of one vertical column of horizontal lines that constantly jump around within the column and fade in and out. From what I have read on here and after some slight physical testing that I have done i feel that it may have to do with a vertical display driver on the bottom of the panel. However I am a novice and this is the first time I am fixing a TV so I would like some feed back from someone who has a little more experience with these issues.

I have attached two pictures:
                      Photo 1 is when its bad Sorry for the photo being upside down.
                      Photo 2 is when it is much less noticeable (look on the right side of the TV)

Any Help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR after replacing the T-Con and removing the right drivers the picture has some horizontal lines in a vertical column that fade in and out, Photos attached. Please Help
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I just picked up E701i-A3 off Craigslist for $50. Following the directions I first unplugged the bottom left ribbon cable and there was no vizio logo. I then plugged that side back in and did the other side and still no vizio logo. I then checked voltage on what I believe to be the correct mosfet and on the single pin side I read 12 volts but on the side with the two pins they both read 0 volts. So am I correct to assume that I will need to replace the mosfet? I guess I would need to order a few of them so when I go back to testing I do not blow them again figuring what side is bad? And would the correct mosfet be RTR020N05TL ?

Thank you
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by splatee; 10-04-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by splatee View Post
                          Hello,

I just picked up E701i-A3 off Craigslist for $50. Following the directions I first unplugged the bottom left ribbon cable and there was no vizio logo. I then plugged that side back in and did the other side and still no vizio logo. I then checked voltage on what I believe to be the correct mosfet and on the single pin side I read 12 volts but on the side with the two pins they both read 0 volts. So am I correct to assume that I will need to replace the mosfet? I guess I would need to order a few of them so when I go back to testing I do not blow them again figuring what side is bad? And would the correct mosfet be RTR020N05TL ?

Thank you
                          Looks like I measured the wrong mosfet. I get 0 volts on all three legs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I found a great seller on ebay that has new tcons for 20.00 but after following all of the steps in this thread I went through 4 tcons and still not working. I just gave up.

Comment

Went ahead and ordered a few mosfets part # RTR020N05 from Mouser. Hopefully should be here tomorrow since they are 45 mins from where I live.

Comment

good idea to get a few as you say it may help with the "testing of sides".... and even with your soldering skills... :-)

hopefully you can get the things up and running. I would disconnect the corner cables once you have the parts replaced so that you can check the tcon out before attempting to "side test things".

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                  good idea to get a few as you say it may help with the "testing of sides".... and even with your soldering skills... :-)

hopefully you can get the things up and running. I would disconnect the corner cables once you have the parts replaced so that you can check the tcon out before attempting to "side test things".
                                  I already have the side cables replaced. When I was checking each side the backlight would come on but the screen was dim. I did not see the vizio label come up. So after checking the voltage on the presumed mosfet I had 0 volts. What should be the voltages normally? As far as my soldering skills goes this may test them a bit but I am confident I should be able to do it.

Thank you

Comment

what I meant to say is have BOTH corner cables removed. That way, IF there are bad drivers, I do believe this should prevent the fet from blowing. then you can measure the voltages there of to see what's up at the card to "semi-ensure" that the card if "functioning" to a degree. As for expected voltages, you will have to check thru the thread as I am sure someone has posted it somewhere.
                                    Last edited by budwich; 10-04-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                      what I meant to say is have BOTH corner cables removed. That way, IF there are bad drivers, I do believe this should prevent the fet from blowing. then you can measure the voltages there of to see what's up are the card to "semi-ensure" that the card if "functioning" to a degree. As for expected voltages, you will have to check thru the thread as I am sure someone has posted it somewhere.
                                      Ahh ok. Well when I measured voltages I had the panel ribbons from the t-conn disconnected. I will leave these disconnected after replacing the mosfet and measure the voltages again. Then I will start testing the drivers again per the step by step at the beginning. I will start again with the lower left side.

Thank you

Comment

Ok I have gone ahead and soldered new mosfet onto t-con board. Disconnected the lower right hand ribbon (looking from front of tv). I have a partial vizio V come up. So basically just go ahead and remove the driver tabs on that side of the tv? Now I did not test the other side.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Removed the side drivers tab and have success. Thank you to everyone for the help and info. Couldn't have done it without you all.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X